Recovery

klingy

klingy

So about three months ago, I started having pain under my right shoulder blade. It then spread down my shoulder and into my arm. Then my arm went numb. Then my hand went numb. Then I freaked out. The symptoms continued to spread - numbness in all extremities, severe back pain, tiredness, etc. You name it, I had it. Then the tests started. MRIs, needles, poking, prodding. Finally, two and a half months later, after being tested a second time, I tested positive for Lyme. It has been a very slow recovery. Last week I was able to finally make it through a day without downing half a bottle of advil. Needless to say, I have been dying to get outside. I finally got the chance today. I took it slowly. Did a lot of walk, rest, walk, rest. Felt good enough to hit a couple streams. First stop was a pretty easily navigated stretch of the Breeches. I love this spot (I still can't understand why they stock rainbows over this section, but that's for another thread - I'm guessing to keep access or another legit reason). Anyway, I decided ahead of time that it was going to be a mainly nymphing day. Couldn't handle a lot of arm gyrations. And the fishing gods smiled upon me. In about 2 hours, I landed about two dozen beautiful wild brownies. Nothing humungous, but what satisfaction after watching countless days go by that I wished I could be out on the stream. I then decided to take a drive through Michaux SF, and of course my favorite stream there called my name. Landed another dozen and a half or so fish (brookies this time), and called it a day. What an awesome way to recover.

Attachments

• Breeches Brown 1.jpg
    Breeches Brown 1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Breeches Brown 2.jpg
    Breeches Brown 2.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Breeches Brown 3.jpg
    Breeches Brown 3.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Breeches Brown 4.jpg
    Breeches Brown 4.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Back In.jpg
    Back In.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Breeches Brown 5.jpg
    Breeches Brown 5.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Breeches Brown 6.jpg
    Breeches Brown 6.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Red.jpg
    Red.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Breeches Brown 7.jpg
    Breeches Brown 7.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Michaux Brookie 1.jpg
    Michaux Brookie 1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Michaux Brookie 2.jpg
    Michaux Brookie 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Michaux Brookie 3.jpg
    Michaux Brookie 3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 3
  • Michaux Brookie 4.jpg
    Michaux Brookie 4.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Michaux Brookie 5.jpg
    Michaux Brookie 5.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 4
Great looking fish, good luck on the recovery.

good read, nice pics. way to go. keep up the recovery!

glad to hear your mending, hopefully you'll be back to 100% soon. And that is one hell of a way to recover!!
Lyme disease is scary, and lots of doctors around me refuse to think it's anything serious, and won't test for it!!!!
I think it should be apart of a regular physical, and maybe a part of ANY visit to a doctor, if it hasn't been done within the past 6 months or a year.

Looks like some good Wild Trout Therapy.

Glad to hear you're on the mend - another cautionary tale about Lyme.

Glad to hear they found something. My daughters mother in law went through a lot of pain and discomfort before she was told she had Lyme. She had a central line installed and had to take drugs for a 30 day period.
I wish you a speedy recovery and keep up the fishing therapy. Being by the water always makes you feel better. :)

Great pics klingy. Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Welcome "back" - glad the fish were in the mood for ya! Hopefully your recovery continues as such.

I hear ya buddy. I was laid up for over a year. One of the only things that keept me on the healing track was, getting back on the water an getting back to work. Good on ya.

Best of luck with your recovery. Great pictures!

Boy can i relate to that story. I also went through about a year of recovery after an accident at work , I was living in Newville at the time and the Micheaux waters are some of my favorite also. I hope all is well for you now and stays that way. I do have one question and if you choose not to answer it i'll understand. Do they know how you contracted Lyme and do you remember being bitten if it was a tick or is it not known how you picked it up? Keep up the good work on the water there in Micheaux and may the rest of your days be blessed like the one in the pics.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.
Osprey - my doc thinks I may have had it a long time before I got the major symptoms. I never had the rash (although I know some people get bit on their head and never see the rash under their hair). I have pulled numerous ticks off of me in the past few year - kind of comes with the territory of being outside.

Well , it would seem you haven't lost your touch. :) Congrats on a good day back on the water. God speed to a full recovery.

Sorry to hear about your recent situation with Lyme disease. Having spent portions of the last 20 years battling it myself, I can relate. Keep your awareness up an don't delay at all in getting treatment if you get recurrences of the symptoms. Glad to see you got back on the stream. Keep fishing and keep a positive attitude - you'll beat it. BTW those are some great looking fish. Good luck with everything.

what a great story. I love the 'back in' photo.

all the best for your recovery.

Mark

Man I feel your pain klingy. I have been threw the same thing with Lyme. There was a thread awhile back about it. Glad your back out! What a nasty disease.

Back