Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Reading hatches

From My house in Pennsylvania
Can any body recommend a book on hatches? Reading hatches is my down fall.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 20:13

Re: Reading hatches

From LV
Hatches II by Cucci, is probably the most detailed. The other would be Matching the Hatch by Schwiebert.
The best way to figure out what's hatching is to catch some of the flies you are seeing, put them in a jar and take them home with you. Compare them to what's in the books.
Don't feel bad though, I wasted 2 hours today fishing and changing flies constantly trying to figure out what flies the trout were taking. I said to my friend who I was fishing with, I should just tie on an orange crane fly. But I continued to keep changing flies, another half hour, until I tied on the crane fly, then caught a bunch of trout. I continued to catch trout the rest of the afternoon.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 21:58

From Pittsburgh
Ted Fauceglia [sp] put out a book not long ago called "Mayflies". It's got some stunningly beautiful pictures of them. And also contains lots of good info as to when and where they should hatch. It's a great read.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 23:47

From Ferguson Twp.
+1 for Mayflies great reference book.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 6:14

From Chester County
The Pocketguide to PA Hatches by Meck & Weamer is a great book to help you get started learning about hatches. It covers just about all the major PA hatches you would encounter and gives info on the bugs with pics and the flies used to match them. If I were to chose one book to start with, this would be the one.

http://www.amazon.com/Pocketguide-Pen ... harles-Meck/dp/0979346053

Posted on: 2013/4/5 6:56

From Dauphin
+1 afish. I have that book and its def. a great starter book. Everything you need to start recognizing hatches and approximately when they should be.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 10:50

From Pittsburgh
As Chaz said, Hatches II is great. It's the book I reference most often. The Fauceglia book is at the top of my list to purchase. I have a book simply called Mayflies by Knopp and Cormier and it's very good but some of the classifications have changed since it's printing. Also, the Meck, Weamer book is a nice quick reference. Like anything with fly fishing, I started out with one of them and somehow ended up with more than I need.

Oh, I'm not sure if it's still being maintained, but the www.troutnut.com website was always an good place to see pics of bugs as well.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 11:05

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com