Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 13 »

Re: rattlers

From Mont Co, Pa
Since we got to momba's, did you guys know that, unlike most other snakes, it's quite common for them to bite their victims multiple times? That's one "no joke" kind of snake!!!

Posted on: 2009/3/2 11:33

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
It's true mambas (not just the black mamba) attack body and head, but not necessarily from trees, they do it from the ground too. They can lift their heads 4 feet in the air, and they're in that position when they chase. They also typically bite multiple times, not just once and done. Scary.

They're not the longest venomous snake, the king cobra is.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 11:40

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

wildtrout2 wrote:
Since we got to momba's, did you guys know that, unlike most other snakes, it's quite common for them to bite their victims multiple times? That's one "no joke" kind of snake!!!

The darn things just can't take a joke.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 11:42

From Greensburg, PA
Anyone ever see the movie called "SSSssssssssssss!" ?

It was at the drive-in when I was a kid.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 11:48

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:

They're not the longest venomous snake, the king cobra is.

Correct, but you don't win anything.

Black Mamba is Africas longest venemous snake, not longest in world. Who woulda thunk the Asians had a longer one.

sorry, couldn't help myself.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 11:50

From Greensburg, PA

Posted on: 2009/3/2 11:51

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
>>In the many years of fishing all over the place, I have never run into a rattlesnake or a copperhead.>>

Me either, at least not for certain, in PA at any rate.

I've seen a pretty fair number of copperheads in in the NC Blue Ridge though, although I've never really had a close encounter that could have gone badly.

Ticks, wasps, hidden roots and nervous guys with sidearms worried about snakes are all probably more dangerous than rattlesnakes...:)

Posted on: 2009/3/2 12:28

From Lower Burrell
Quote:

RLeeP wrote:
>>

Ticks, wasps, hidden roots and nervous guys with sidearms worried about snakes are all probably more dangerous than rattlesnakes...:)

I hear ya on the ticks and wasps! But nervous guys with sidearms?? What about well trained/well armed sportmans?

Posted on: 2009/3/2 13:39

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

TroutBuster wrote:

I hear ya on the ticks and wasps! But nervous guys with sidearms?? What about well trained/well armed sportmans?

While I support your decision and your right to keep and bear arms. And I am not the least bit anti-gun. This only my first thought about the last statement...

When I see a bear, I know its a bear. When I see a rattle snake, I know its a rattle snake. When I see a guy with a gun...the other guy has an "I'm with stupid >" T-shirt, I'm not as sure what I'm seeing.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 13:50

From Room 109
There are an average of 73 people killed in the US by lightning each year. An average of 15 people are killed by venomous snakes in the US.

Maybe you guys should start shooting at lightning bolts. They are almost 5 times more deadly than snakes.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 13:58

Yeah, I'm like the rest here, sorry troutbuster. I am pro-gun, card carrying member of the NRA. But regarding the need for protection streamside, I suppose if the area is known to have wild dogs or something, or if you're worried about other people, although that too might get you into more trouble than its worth. But bears and snakes are way down on my list of worries, and I don't think the gun will do you anything at all for snakes. They're only dangerous when you're in striking range and don't have any clue that they're there. I like to carry a gun when I take a hike somewhere, rarely while fishing. But that has nothing to do with protection, if anything it adds danger. Its more about finding a can someone littered, and seeing if I can't put a few holes in it before carrying it out.

Streamside dangers, in order: Hypothermia, drowning, injury from a fall, ticks, mosquitoes (West Nile), bees and wasps, people, lightning, snakes, dogs, bears.

People, dogs and bears are the only things a gun will help you with, and they're on the same level as lightning.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:17

From Lower Burrell
If you says..... But i wouldn't say that too loudly or your NRA buddies may not be your buddies anymore.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:26

Sorry TB- I'm will those in the boat of not carry a gun for protection. I own 7 guns- mostly shotguns and hunt a decent amount but never felt a need to carry one. (unless I plan on hanging out in the northside)

Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:32

From Lower Burrell
Thats funny.... most of the people who needed a gun the most are the very people so said "Oh I'll never need a gun here..."

Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:34

Troutbuster,

Well, protecting the home is a different matter altogether, or even protecting yourself from people outside the home, although (with exceptions, of course) a stream isn't the type of place you're likely to run into those type of issues.

Also, I still do believe in the original purpose of the 2nd amendment, which was to keep the ultimate power in the hands of the people as a check against our own government. I own guns and I'm proud of that, and I'll fight for your right to carry your gun. I just don't feel the need to carry streamside, but I want to make sure that decision always falls in my hands and not the government's.

The NRA fights for your right to make that decision on your own, but it doesn't tell you what choice to make.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 14:36

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 13 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com