Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 13 »

Re: rattlers

From Mont Co, Pa
Great info, thanks for sharing that. As much as I don't like snakes, they do have a purpose in life. I just as soon not run into one though.

Posted on: 2009/3/1 18:19

From Central Jersey
For those that don't like rattlers, take a look at this pictures of a black snake eating a rattler. This will give you a lot of respect for the black snake.

There is a series of pics to click through.

JG

BLACK SNAKE EATS RATTLER

Posted on: 2009/3/1 21:49

Quote:

jerseygeorge wrote:
BLACK SNAKE EATS RATTLER

In my younger days, I use to actively hunt and catch snakes. Made pets out of them. Drove my mother nuts. I was about 13 when my ‘pet’ black snake escaped in the basement. It was longer then I was tall at the time, about 66 inches. Luckily I recaptured it or I would have been doing laundry the rest of my childhood.

Banished to the garage, my next catch was a milk snake, but it escaped too. Later I found out my neighbor stepped on it the next morning, on her back porch, and went hysterical. She had to be sedated after her husband identified it as a copperhead and flattened it with a shovel. The fire department, ambulance, police and game warden all showed up. It was a real fiasco. When I caught a king snake a few weeks latter, my dad and I had a real good laugh, but he made me put it back anyway. It sure would have been fun though.

Seriously, mosquitos kill more people then then snakes.

Attach file:

jpg  blackrat.jpg (0.00 KB)

Posted on: 2009/3/2 1:11
it said, "Goodbye."
Richard Armour

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
Had a buddy who was fighting fires in Yellowstone in 88 stepped on a nest of ground hornets. Got stung 28 times and needed airlifted. I haven't been stung since I was a kid. Around the house its nothing a whiffle ball bat can't fix.

I ran over a nest of them with the brush hog a few years ago while mowing a bank. I was hit two or three times before i even realized what was going on.

I jumped off the tractor and ran. Wasps and hornets are one of the few things that i am scared of. I didn't even take the time to shut the tractor off. So there I was, standing 100 feet away, and looking bach and my tractor, still running, and the brush hog still engaged. The darn bees were attaching the brush hog. I waited a little while and snuck back up to the tractor and bumped the self propelled lever and waited for it to clear the area.

Yea, I'm afraid of bees, and I put in bee hives last year (and still do not have a bee suite). Good theropy? Honey bees usually are not as agressive as wasps and hornets. Besides, the stings only hurt for a little while. And yes, they can sting through two shirts.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 6:57

I haven't read through all toe messages here (don't have time), but here are a few observations.

I'm not a snake expert, but here are a few things that I do know. there are no snakes in Pennsylvania, or in the world for that matter than can outrun me and i am not very fast. I can move away from a snake just as fast as i can draw a weapon and shoot.

I've never seen a rattle snake or a copperhead, or a water moccasin while I was fishing in PA. I've seen a couple rattlesnakes sunning before (on the road), but not while I was fishing.

I have seen many northern watersnakes, but none of those others.

the majority of "copperhead" sightings and probably all "water moccasin" sightings in PA are actually misidentified northern watersnakes.

I'm not gonna question anyones copperhead sightings because I didn't see it. But most of these sightings especially near water are misidentified watershakes. There are copperheads in parts of PA, but they are not common, or at least are not seen very often. But I seriously doubt there are any water moccasins in PA. They are probably less common than mountain lions in PA, because they usually are not kept as pets.

A former co-worker insisted he saw a water moccasin in a Cleveland burb when he was a kid. I played the BS card on him, but he still insisted. But then, this same guy insisted the Road Island Red chickens laid white eggs.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 7:21

Quote:

franklin wrote:
I stepped on a wasp nest and got covered with them. I had a hooded sweatshirt on with the hood up on a cool June morning. It was zipped up, luckily I grabbed the waistline and pulled it over my head turning it inside out. I ended up getting stung once in the hand. They were coming out of the sweatshirt for over an hour before I could pick it up again. I think the thing that saved me was they were a bit lethargic in the cool air. I was on Penns half way between Poe Paddy and Ingleby. This was back before cell phones so it would have been dicey trying to get back to the car if I got stung 20 or 30 times.

those buggers are nasty.

When I was about 18ish, I was whacking weeds at my uncles business for extra money (the cheap bastardo). It was a hot day, so I took my yellow U of Pitt short off and tucked it in my belt. I started knocking down the weeds along side a culvert when I started getting stung. Again, it took a couple stings before I realized i was getting stung. I think the first sting was on the elbow. Second one was on the stomach, and I swatted at the sensation. The darn thing then stung me on the hand. So, with one motion I swept it off, and threw my yellow shirt on the ground. A half hour later I went to retrieve the shirt. I reached down and grabbed the shirt while I watching the nest... You guessed it. One of them was still in the shirt and stung me again.

Note: If you get stung on a ring finger, get the ring off right away. I did, so I had no problem.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 7:47

From Mont Co, Pa
Just for the record. There are only three poisonous snakes native to Pa. The timber rattler, massasauga rattler, and copperhead. There are NO (cotton mouth) water moccasins in the state of Pa. They only live as far north as southern Virginia.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 8:27

From Chester County
Wow, I never heard of the massasauga rattler. I've always thought the Timber Rattler and Copperhead were the only two venomous snakes in PA. Thanks for the heads up. Here is some info I found:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/anglerboa ... 7/06novdec/reg3rattle.pdf

Posted on: 2009/3/2 8:35

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Farmer Dave,

No water moccasins in PA. Copperheads are common in areas, I grew up in SW PA and they weren't unusual at all. They were espcially common around rocky areas near streams. They are certainly more common than "mountain lions", even when pets are taken into account. That said, I've never seen one outside of SW PA, and I've spent considerable time in NW, NC, central, and SE PA.

Yes, water snakes account for many misidentifications, of copperheads, supposed water moccasins, and yellow-phase rattlers. Black snakes, especially the black rat (we also have black racers), can have markings on their backs and are often mistaken for the black phase of the timber rattler.

As far as snakes that can outrun humans, I can't verify but my understanding is that black mamba's in Africa do outrun humans, and can be extremely aggressive (territorial) and do run people down.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 8:42

From Gettysburg
Wildtrout is correct - there are no water moccassins in PA and that their northernmost limit is southern VA.. On more than a couple occasions I have bumped into trout fishermen in our beloved state who were packing a weapon to protect themselves from "cottonmouths" and I've seen blasted water snakes in the creeks these guys frequented. While I might be willing to forgive a southerner who hasn't yet discovered that he's now living outside the moccassin's range - shooting harmless snakes is a real pet peeve of mine. When I lived in southern VA moccassins were common and I saw them when kayaking in the James River watershed. They were also in Texas and I remember stepping on one barefoot while wading a creek for bass as a kid. I think I set the 7th grade vertical jump record at that moment.
I'll also second FarmerDave's view that many snakes are mis-identified. I work on the Gettysburg Battlefield and, due to the rocky areas, there are a lot of snakes (esp black snakes). I hear claims all the time of "copperheads" on the park and every chance I have been able to investigate, the snake has turned out to be a water snake or a corn or milk snake. We do of course have copperheads on the park but I have never seen one in 3 decades of stomping around it.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 8:47

Last I heard only one poisonous snake ever found in the wild in Delaware[where I grew up].That was a copperhead believed to have come in on building supplies from Pa.,back in the 1930s.
Be that it may-
Tens of thousands of copperheads and water moccasins have been positively identified by locals.lol
The only poisonous snake I ever saw in Pa. was a dead rattler some one had just killed along slate Run[back in the 60s.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 9:29

Pcray, I never said copperheads are less common than Mountain Lions in PA. I said that about the Moccasins, and it was meant as a joke. Still true, but a joke.

Yes, There are Copperheads in PA, and I didn't say there wasn't any. I just said they are not common or rarely seen (where they are common). something like that. There are places where they are more common than others, mostly the southern part of the state. That is why I wouldn't question in individual sighting unless I saw it myself. Better safe than sorry.

Black mombas can outrun some humans. The first snake I thought of when I wrote that was the black momba. I did a little research, and they supposedly, cruise at about 7 mph and a top speed of 12.5 (although one source said 20 mph). But this speed is usually used to escape, not attack. They can't eat you and they know it. It surprised me that the numbers were that high. I figured it was around 10. In any case, it is a safe bet that I can outrun any snake in the US... even if I am wearing waders. They aren't going to chase you.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 9:52

Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Wildtrout is correct - there are no water moccassins in PA and that their northern most limit is southern VA.

They also can be found as far north as the swamps in southern Illinois and southern Indiana which is about the same latitude I think.

Or so I have read.

A good rule of thumb is they won't be found north of the bald cypress range. That said, I know of two locations where there are a few bald cypress in NE Ohio. So, I guess there ranges do not completely overlap.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 10:03

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Farmer,

Sorry, misunderstood the mountain lion thing.

I had a summer job at a factory one summer, factory along the Kiski River. I spent part of the time on the outside labor gang. One week our duty was to clear the weeds that were starting to impede on the access road, which was of course next to the river and rocky. I think we saw a dozen copperheads that day, and yes, they were copperheads. Funny how when we see snakes, we think nearly all of them could be rattlers or copperheads. But when you actually see a rattler or copperhead, it is absolutely inmistakable. I've seen one or two other than that time, but thats the only time I ever ran into a concentration of them. I believe we recommended snake-proof boots to the safety team, but as I was just summer help, I don't know what came of it.

I've never been to Africa, so I certainly am going on heresay here. But the biggest danger with black mambas is the fruit pickers. They're often in trees, like fruit trees. When the pickers come by, the things get trapped in the trees. They'll strike out of the tree, or they'll come to the ground and chase the guy. The tree is its "territory" and it will defend it from animals and humans. I don't think they chase for more than 10-20 yards or so, even if they could run you down. But its more than defensive, they'll chase you for short distances. And people that get surprised are the danger, the snake's already at full speed charge and will get a guy clumsily backing away out of surprise. I think if you turn and run, and are able to get to full speed before the snake catches you, it'll end its pursuit. But unlike most snakes, they're not waiting till you go by, they want you out of their space. Thank god we don't have anything like that around here.

Posted on: 2009/3/2 10:22

Pcray, I believe that is true about the mambas. I think I read somewhere that a lot of the people who are hit by mambas are bitten in the face, neck, and upper parts of the body. However, I could be thinking of a different snake.

I think it is also the longest venomous snake in the world. Not the biggest, but the longest.

I was always fascinated with snakes when I was a kid.

I don't think I could outrun a sea snake either. Ever try running underwater?

Posted on: 2009/3/2 10:57

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 13 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com