Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 »

Re: rattlers

From Emigrant, Mt
I did get nailed by a Brown Recluse a couple years ago. It got me on the top of my right palm, just below my pinky. Within a few days my hand was extremely swollen and the meat around the bite area was literally being disolved. Being an idiot I waited almost too long before going to a doctor. I recieved a very well deserved lecture. Funny thing is, all the research I did on BRS said that they are not in Montana, including the Montana State entomology department. The doctor assured me that the bite was in fact from a BRS.

As for rattlers: In all my years fishing all over Pa I saw only one rattler, on Penns. In 9 years in Montana I have seen maybe 4 rattlers. Shuttle drivers say that they hate to approach trucks in the afternoon at some of the ramps because the rattlers like to crawl under the cars for the shade. I do keep a suction type snake bite kit in the boat though.

Posted on: 2009/3/12 11:14

From Butler
it should be noted that nothing freaks me out more than the BRS -- I dont know why , but I am scared to death of those things....

Posted on: 2009/3/12 22:29

From philadelphia
if you are scared then don't go!!!!!!!!!!!
been fishing NC PA since 83
have had no problems with Snakes, Bob-cats Bears, Mountain Lions (r u kiddning me!!) I think I did see the BOOGEY Man and Saskwatch and the LOCh ness monster once the later chased me backto my cabin, good thing i DID NOT have a gun or some of these may have been STUPIDLY killed.

Steve98

Posted on: 2009/3/15 17:00

From Butler
Quote:

steve98 wrote:
if you are scared then don't go!!!!!!!!!!!
been fishing NC PA since 83
have had no problems with Snakes, Bob-cats Bears, Mountain Lions (r u kiddning me!!) I think I did see the BOOGEY Man and Saskwatch and the LOCh ness monster once the later chased me backto my cabin, good thing i DID NOT have a gun or some of these may have been STUPIDLY killed.

Steve98

uhm, what? I have been going outdoors in PA since I was 4 years old -- all I was saying is that the brown recluse freaks me out -- just the way it looks, what it does - etc -- it would never prevent me from doing anything at all --- chill out, man.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 19:49

From lancaster county
yep i got bit last year. Extremely painful to walk and swelled up bad. Got a staff infection from it too. Never want to go through that again.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 20:40

OK You guys just plain stink. First snakes and now freakin spiders. I don't hate either but now I'm going to have nightmares. I use to run for basketball and I could run for a couple of miles across fields, creeks and up hills, a real tough cross country run the last part being the worst. On day I was feeling all good and healthy and at 17 who couldn't so I was running through a field with high cover jumping through brush when I saw a huge black and yellow garden spider directly in my face. I planted my feet and then as I looked around there wasn't one. There were like 300. They were everywhere!! And I mean everywhere! No they weren't poisonous no pending death, but you couldn't tell my heart that, nor my relexes. I think I may have broke a cross country record that day, web coated and all. I thought if I ran fast enough they wouldn't jump on me. EeeeGad!! Can someone please post about bunnies and puppies?

Thinking back I wouldn't trade my garden spider memory for anything.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 21:43

From lancaster county

Posted on: 2009/3/15 21:51

I do not like you anymore.

Posted on: 2009/3/15 22:35

From lancaster county

Posted on: 2009/3/15 23:02

From Lehigh Valley
Sal - That's pedestrian next to this one!

For wetnet

Posted on: 2009/3/15 23:03

Nothing beats puppies! OMG they are sooo cute. You wait until I have my golden pups in the next 2 years.

My husband was in the army had scorpions in his shoes and did eat rattlesnake, while training. He said it's like lobster but I think it's the adrenaline from eating something that has the potential to kill you that might add some flavor. Might also be why he doesn't eat rice anymore after being in active duty n vietnam. No porta potty's for the workers and they can potentially shoot you. You're just never sure. He really still won't eat rice unless starving. Nothing like just turning 18 and going to war, to make snakes seem simple. I scream snake and he laughs but still checks on me. Some guys talk about vietnam all of the time and never shot a gun. My husband was shot twice, once in the head (No worries picture Homer Simpsons profile, just grazed the scalp) and in the calf and he talked about it once and he hasn't mentioned it again. Maurice you can refile this because I am way off topic but he thought he had his head blown off, with the heat of the blood and one of his team grabbed his gun and stood over him and gave him cover. He said he heard him say " You ain't dead that's hardly a scratch" I don't ever feel bad making him take a spider out on a sheet of paper because I don't want him to kill it and I don't want to pick it up. I'm pretty sure it doesn't bother him either. I don't think either of us would trade Pa snakes or spiders for anything else given geographics.

Given the choice however i'll think puppies tonight.Thanks Sal!!

Posted on: 2009/3/16 0:03

From Butler
Quote:

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz6YLH55CX8

just for you wet

thats wicked

Posted on: 2009/3/16 11:18

From Sullivan County
most likely a north american water snake..nasty lil buggers

Posted on: 2009/4/1 15:39

From florida
Pete, we forgot ticks, those lovely little bugs that can find places to burrow that only your wife or a really close friend will assist with on their removal.
Then their are chiggers. The itch that only a lot of alcohol, taken internally, can reduce. God I love Florida.
Estuarine crocodiles,and lest we forget pythons in the Everglades.Makes wild hog hunting seem tame.

Posted on: 2009/4/1 17:51

From aliquippa
wow this is a popular post i bet it would be a good subject at the jam when everybody has a few cold ones...lol

Posted on: 2009/4/1 18:08

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
116 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com