Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 »

Rattle snake encounters?

From Meadville, PA
I was just wondering about this and had to ask. What are your experiences with rattle snakes wile fishing in their territory? Are they rare, some what common, only on the hike in or near the stream wile actively fishing etc? I don't have any thing to add given my location and limited opportunity to venture out to snake areas. But I hope that I will get opportunity's in the future to fish some of the great streams of central PA and other areas known to have them and was wondering what to expect. I'm not leery just something I have never had to consider before and am curious.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 17:23

http://www.keystoneflyfishers.com/

Re: Rattle snake encounters?

From Johnstown, PA
jreichel..............i'm 54 , been fishing since i was 4 or 5 and i've never seen one while fishing , i've seen them while hiking and hunting and working but never while fishing , a friend in Fairhope Pa showed me a breeding ball of about 15 of them once on top of the mountain above Wills creek but we weren't fishing , we were hunting ginseng.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 19:03

From Williamsport, PA
i frequently run into them when i am fishing in NC PA (Pine Creek Valley, Kettle Creek Valley, Slate Run, ect..) I have come across them right on the bank. Be aware, watch where you put your feet and hands! Typically, they will jet long before you see them, but not always. Give them some space and you should not have any problems.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 19:07

From Lewistown
I've only seen 1 and I was looking for one. It was in the pine creek valley.

Common Sense is the best defense.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 19:27

From Mont Co, Pa
I have fished in many areas that have them, but in 30+ years have yet to encounter one. This includes Clinton, Potter, Lycoming, Sullivan, and Bradford counties. What I don't like is the fact that you usually don't see one until you're on top of him! Just use good sense when you're on their turf. Make some noise and watch where you tread.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 19:37

From E-Town and Germania
I remember walking through some tall grass along Penns in the C&R area many years ago, heard one rattle in front of us. The other three guys ran and left me standing in front of the snake. I parted the grass with my rod tip and boy was he a big one. I made a hasty retreat the opposite direction and made my way around to catch up with my buddies who were all laughing. Oh so funny, ha ha.

Another time I was fishing Broad Run in Franklin County, lots of deadfalls to crawl over, jumped off of one one right in front of a rattler. I think I scared him as much as he scared me. Makes you be real careful the rest of the day that's for sure. I've seen several in the Tuscarora State Forest in Perry County, fortunately just while driving. I've also seen a couple back Stony Creek in Dauphin County on the road back in the game lands while riding my bike. Slate Run is supposed to have a reputation but I've never seen a rattler in northern PA.

As previously noted, just watch where you put your hands if you are crawling up a bank. Make some noise so they will hear you first and have a chance to get away before you might corner them and really piss them off. It is their home after all and we are just guests.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 19:55

From Schuylkill County
I saw this one several years ago on the road over the mountain from Woodward to Penns, near the upper reaches of Cherry Run.
John

Attach file:

jpg  Penns Rattler.JPG (27.95 KB)
137_4bb293f5785ed.jpg 640X426 px

Posted on: 2010/3/30 20:14
if you look at it right...

From girard pa
i have never seen a rattler i know a few guys who seen them hunting. up here in the nw we have water mockisns i have seen them in elk creek on occasions. actually had one swim bettween my legs wwhen i was steelhead fishin early in the fall. you never seen a redneck run in waders that fast it was to close for me. lol

Posted on: 2010/3/30 20:26

From Bozeman
Quote:

bowhunter0131 wrote:
i have never seen a rattler i know a few guys who seen them hunting. up here in the nw we have water mockisns i have seen them in elk creek on occasions. actually had one swim bettween my legs wwhen i was steelhead fishin early in the fall. you never seen a redneck run in waders that fast it was to close for me. lol

This is a common myth.

We do not have water moccasins. The only water snakes here are harmless brown water snakes.

"It is also worth noting that the northern water snake is often confused for the water moccasin. The water moccasin (cottonmouth) is a venomous, southern species that reaches the northernmost part of its range in southern Virgina. Water moccasins, despite urban legend, do not occur in Pennsylvania"

http://www.paherp.com/wp-content/uplo ... ads_mistaken_identity.pdf

Posted on: 2010/3/30 20:31

From pittsburgh
well you beat me to it jay i had a few of them brown ones curl up in my pocket and didnt even know it while i was swimmin in the loyahanna one summer actually i dont know if it was the same one or not but i kept tossing it from my pocket and 15 minutes later anotherone i guess that happens while drinking in the creek and bs'ing besides when do rattles come in season i know if you have a fishing license you can harvest them i wouldnt mind eating one or trying to eat one but i would shoot it lol i dont want to me too close

Posted on: 2010/3/30 20:38

-me

From Meadville, PA
I agree The only venomous snakes we have (that I know of) are rattlers (two types) and copperheads. Water moccasins don't get this far north. But those brown water snakes can be very aggressive and ornery!! I've seen them chase people (people that where running from them anyway).

Posted on: 2010/3/30 20:38

http://www.keystoneflyfishers.com/

From Monessen, PA
The water snake is aggressive at times and they will bite, but they will not kill you, just make you scream like a little girl and leave you sore.

Posted on: 2010/3/30 20:44

From Bozeman
Fred...

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2010/3/30 20:47

From The Hilton
I have yet to run into one when fishing (Thank God) but on the roads near camp in Clinton County I see them quite often sunning themsevles!

Posted on: 2010/3/30 20:47

From It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
I ran into this beast at a berks/schuylkill county class a stream.. you will probably be able to guess which stream... it freaked me out the whole hike down to the stream...

Attach file:

jpg  Rattlesnake.JPG (338.21 KB)
3003_4bb2a4cdd6f85.jpg 1193X895 px

jpg  Close up.JPG (120.66 KB)
3003_4bb2a4d97bff5.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2010/3/30 21:27

(1) 2 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com