I can never get into that class....always full. Maybe next semester

Posted on: 2013/10/21 14:22

Ty
Keystone Fly Fishing

Re: PSU Fly Fishing Class

From Lancaster County
Quote:

Shock wrote:
I always wanted to take that class at PSU but never fit it into my schedule. One of my only regrets from my time there.

Fast forward two decades and I took Joe Humphrey and Ed Shenk's class at the Allenberry resort.

It was like attending one of those fantasy sports camps. It was fun just talking flyfishing with them.

However, I bet you and your class mates are going to benefit more from Gregs instruction because you now have a solid foundation that takes most of us years to get down.

Martin

+1 - I took Golf, Volleyball, and Skiing as my ESACs, but was out of the fishing loop then. For the entire duration of my schooling in State College, I bought no fishing licenses for those four years either. Been kicking myself ever since for those squandered opportunities..

Posted on: 2013/10/21 22:40

I had Humph for "personal defense" gym class around 1980. He said he did some boxing in the Navy and showed us ways to keep guys off of you in bars and at parties. Also showed us how to dislocate their shoulder if they caused trouble. Quite a class.
I couldn't fit the flyfishing class into my schedule but my buddy took it and he took me over to the lake (stone valley?) where the class fished - Humph showed up there and after I caught 2 stockies he came by and asked "Yeah, watcha' usin' there?"

What a great time being a student at PSU - I'd go back in a minute.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 20:07

I never could get into the class, it was always full.

I see a few familiar faces in that picture.

I learn on my own and I've been lucky to have some very good fly fishing teachers in friends that I've fished with. So, honestly, I don't feel I missed much by not being able to get into the class.

Posted on: 2013/10/22 22:07
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

From South Central PA
Not a PSU'er but fished with Joe for an afternoon on Spring a couple of years ago. Cannot imagine how cool it would be to take a class on FF in college (sure would have beat the advanced stats class I had!)

Another poster mentioned it, but Joe would call out the fish he was going to catch. As in "hey, watch this, I am going to pull out a 18" brownie from behind that rock." And then do it.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 9:04

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
116 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com