Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Pros vs Cons ownig a Cabin

From Ephrata, PA
For an old guy, FD, your memory is remarkable! I even forgot about the ceiling fan debacle. I'm getting another one for my dining room soon...let the fun continue!

We don't have ceiling fans in the cabin though.

As per breaking in, our cabin was broken into once over the past 55+ years. Unfortunately, the crook stole some valuable records (we have an old Victrola). I think being near the state popo helps our situation.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 9:03

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Our cabin had a minor rash of break-ins. No theft, just looked like they were using it as a cabin. But they broke a window and climbed through to get in, and didn't know how to prime the water system so the toilet was, umm, full.

After it happened the 2nd time, we lined broadheads along the inside of the window they were using. Sure enough, on the next trip up, blood on the broadheads. And that's when we found out who it was.

My uncle's brother, essentially a black sheep in the family at that time, had to get stitches in his hand. All he had to do was ask!

We of course have now given him a key and taught him to prime the water system. Haven't had an issue since.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 9:06

From NC PA Mountains
Here are a couple for your consideration

http://www.parecproperties4sale.com/Waterfrontproperties.html

Posted on: 2013/4/10 9:08

From Ephrata, PA
Pat that sounds like the method used by folks whos cabins are being jacked by sasquatches! DNA evidence pending...

I lied about not having a trout stream on the property. At the head of our lane, there's a little trickle. I mean, in the summer its dried up 50% of the time, it only really flows if there's been some rain in the area. My brother and I would often times go down there to catch crawfish. When I was 7 and my brother was 5, we came up to the cabin w/ a small fish in a cup that we scooped up in the stream. My dad looked at the fish and said, "That's a native brook trout!" First native I ever caught haha!

Posted on: 2013/4/10 9:35

From Clearfield
I bought a camp when I was 22, had no running water, and no electricity. The wife and daughter would not go there very often maybe once a year. Upgraded a couple of years later. The problem was that I was so busy at that age I rarely used it. Now that I am 34 I see my family and I using it more and more. As a matter of fact we were there the last two weekends, and my wife and I were talking about how glad we were that we bought it when we did.

I am also lucky enough to be the sole owner of the camp and thus don't have some of the problems that I see other multiple owner have. Argument about weekends, their kids having parties and trashing it, people not paying dues, who will get the camp when members die, ect.

My camp is only 15 minutes from my house but is in the middle of nowhere. If it were an hour or two away, it would never get used enough. That's the way people around here do it. Everyone has camps that are within 15-20 minutes, but we have the luxury of living right next to the wilderness.

There are pros and cons to being a camp owner but I'd do it again.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 10:12

From LV
Oh I forgot the critters that can get in.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 10:23

-in time, you fish your cabin river/stream over most other waters
-it becomes a lifestyle (positive and negative aspects here)
-upkeep and doubling your bills (expenses and maintenance)
-you suddenly find you have more "friends" than you realized
-floods and theft can be issues
-if you have family, wife must be accepting of you being absent a
lot or into going along & kids in soccer etc. can impact open
weekends
-it allows you to fish prime times vs. day tripping (I get more days on
the water overall, but fish fewer hours than I would going for a day)
-so great to have a short drive after a long day or late night
-weekends: fish, eat, sleep repeat
-you can really learn a river, hatches and perfect flies living on it
part time
-you can feel the stress of a work week drain out as you get closer
to your cabin

Posted on: 2013/4/10 10:43

From Monessen, PA
As a lawyer, let me recommend a good contract for time-sharing. Make cleanup an obligation of users and surcharge failures, with a "kick them out clause" for non-compliance or non-reimbursements.

Of course time-sharing with people you trust (with an agreement nonetheless) would be ideal.

Blood is both thicker and thornier than water.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 10:51

Keep in mind that a beautiful view of rolling mountains of fall foliage may very well turn into a scene from a gas company investment brochure. You can believe whatever you will about "temporary" well pads, and reclamation of pipe lines, but I have seen this work, and it will impact a watershed for the worse. That north central Pa cabin may turn out to be a worse environment for relaxation than your actual house.

Somewhere near the Pocono plateau, with access to the Delaware, is probably the best investment for generations. However, a pipeline may still come through to get that gas out.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 10:58

From Clearfield
Quote:

Chaz wrote:

Yeah, been dealing with flying squirrels for five years now.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 11:02

Quote:

csoult wrote:
Quote:

Chaz wrote:

Haha, ever hear of a cabin that becomes a chew toy for porcupine. They will chew on a car for fun.....tool handles gnawed up....they do it for the salt they say, lol.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 11:07

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Now, my camp is in NW PA, bout a 5-6 hr drive. There's some good fishing around there. But yeah, I don't get there as much as I like. The only reason I keep it around is because it's in my family, I'm merely a member. I'd prefer we sell it and get something in central PA. But I do like having a camp.

To get there, I am bypassing BETTER water that is closer to home. And yeah, while I still go to camp now and then, I also do weekend trips, either with a tent, or renting cabins/motels to get to that better water.

There's no question that camp is more "relaxing". It's yours. Much of the crap I have to take on those other trips is already at camp. Bedding, shower supplies, even entertainment (stock of movies, magazines, camp log, etc.). A full kitchen and fridge, and lots of canned goods, cases of bottled water, etc. So meals are easier. Stack of firewood in the yard. I only pack a little clothes bag and my fishin stuff, and you're off. And when you get there, it feels like home. Nowhere else ever has that "home" feeling. As was said, as you approach, it's the difference between the stress melting away, vs. going over a list of things you will need to do to get settled before you go fishing/hunting.

Water is an issue for most camps, including ours. We collect rainwater from the gutters into an underground sistern, and pump that through the plumbing. We have hot water and all that jazz. You can cook with it, wash dishes, shower, flush toilets, etc. But we don't drink it. We've tested it a few times, sometimes it passes, sometimes not. But we use bottled water for drinking.

We also have a spring on site. Basically a little swamp and we dug out a hole, lined it with blocks, and covered it. It is the EXTREME headwaters of a trout stream, but there's no surface flow from it. We did find a pale, gray, underground brook trout in the hole once. Mostly we use it to keep live minnows (family are bait people). If we overuse water during dry periods, we'll also drop a sump pump in it and refill our sistern. But we don't drink it.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 11:09

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

bigjohn58 wrote:
I'd rather have a camper I think.

I've actually done that, but when you figure the payments, license fees, insurance, much lower gas mileage when towing, fees at crampgrounds, it is often way cheaper to stay in a motel or rent a cabin. You have to really like cramping.

When I bought my camper, I also leased 35 acres of land with option to buy and parked it right in the middle. That was an awesome summer. Then we moved it to a small campground where we had a season site on an end for a few years. It eventually got boring. Then I bought the farm and the camper never got used again except for as a guest house so I eventually sold it.

If I ever buy another one, it will be somewhat smaller so it is cheaper to tow, and I can park it in the middle of the ANF.

I also used to have a cabin cruiser that slept 6. It was my floating camper. Now that was fun. If I didn't like the neighbors, I pulled up anchor and fired up the twins and moved. If I wanted beer and wings, I motored to a restaurant and tied up. Had it on Erie for a year, and Chautauqua for 2.

They say the two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day he buys a boat, and the day he sells it. I definitely had mixed feelings when I sold it. May do it again after I retire.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 11:10

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

BeastBrown wrote:
Quote:

csoult wrote:
Quote:

Chaz wrote:

Haha, ever hear of a cabin that becomes a chew toy for porcupine. They will chew on a car for fun.....tool handles gnawed up....they do it for the salt they say, lol.

LOL! Yes I have. How about a public restroom in a state park? Summer job while I was in school.

And don't leave the cheap aluminum lawn furniture outside. The will eat the aluminum. Road signs, too.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 11:19

From Ephrata, PA
The other benefit is, you have a base camp for PAFF mini-jams

Posted on: 2013/4/10 11:23

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
145 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com