Poconos or North Central?

D

Dobeitz

First I want to thank everyone for all of the help with the SMB stream advice. Things started out a little rocky but I think I'm getting the hang of those tough little guys and exploring this new state of mine has been great so far.

So, looks like I'll have next Mon and Tues off work next week and I need to put the WBs and poppers away b/c I need to get into some trout outside of Valley creek and SE PA. Still being a little on the warm side, I can not decide on what area I want to go for. I see that the flows in the north/central area of the state are still good but water temps kinda borderline high. Of course the reputation in those areas has my interest. However, I'm also open to the north east area as well.

I'm not set on trophy hunting the whole time at all. Just want to hopefully get into some decent size fish with some nice scenery - my trophy chasing days ended when I moved from Colorado (you're always shoulder to shoulder in trophy water anyway). I definitely plan on camping rather than stayin in a hotel if this affects anyone's advice.

Again, this site and its members have been outstanding so far. Thank you.

PS: If this sort of post belongs elsewhere in the forum let me know

come up here the temps are fine. you'll think your in the west with all the mountains. there's camping along wild brookie streams and no one else around. even the big water is fishing well and no one there either. well maybe Chaz if he is up..

Water temps are probably fine in NC in the smaller creeks. There's more water on public lands in NC PA than in the Poconos.

Dobeitz wrote:
Just want to hopefully get into some decent size fish with some nice scenery - my trophy chasing days ended when I moved from Colorado (you're always shoulder to shoulder in trophy water anyway).

If you are used to Colorado fishing, then north central PA is going to be very disappointing in my opinion. I would go just about anywhere in the state other than north central PA. Based upon your mention of Valley, I assume you are in south eastern PA. To go to north central PA you will have to pass many, many better fishing spots.

jdaddy wrote:
Dobeitz wrote:
Just want to hopefully get into some decent size fish with some nice scenery - my trophy chasing days ended when I moved from Colorado (you're always shoulder to shoulder in trophy water anyway).

If you are used to Colorado fishing, then north central PA is going to be very disappointing in my opinion. I would go just about anywhere in the state other than north central PA. Based upon your mention of Valley, I assume you are in south eastern PA. To go to north central PA you will have to pass many, many better fishing spots.

Well..I agree for size...and numbers..but he did say scenery. I'm picking up what yer laying down, but sometimes a man just wants to be in some nice forest away from everyone and everything.

jdaddy wrote:
To go to north central PA you will have to pass many, many better fishing spots.

Well I was living in Western NC for the past couple years so Ive been out of CO for a while. Def not comparing anything to CO - just want to figure out where I need to focus my research. What areas are you talking about passing on my way to NC PA from SE PA?

jdaddy wrote:
Dobeitz wrote:

To go to north central PA you will have to pass many, many better fishing spots.
I have to disgree with this statement. NC pa has the most wild trout streams to choose from, so odds would say you'll generally find better fishing in that region. Right now though, water levels are on the low side up there. You won't beat NC for beauty!

jdaddy wrote:
Dobeitz wrote:

Really? I have to disagree, there are LESS quality trout streams in the SEPA than in NC PA.

and when it comes to fishing for trout in a setting quintessential of what most people think of when they think of a trout stream, the # of streams in NC PA and NEPA trounce what is available in SEPA in my opinion. I mean the Happy Valley area streams alone trump all of SEPA

Not saying that good trout fishing can't be found in SEPA but its abundance is not greater than what's available in NCPA (and NEPA.)

If I had Mon & Tues off....I'd jump on the turnpike, head 2ish hours west to Carlisle Sunday morning, check out Big Spring and the Letort during the day, then have a bite to eat around 5-6o'clock and hit the Breeches for the Whitefly hatch until dark o'clock at Allenberry (it can be crowded for the hatch but usually worth it). Stop in at YBO in Boiling Springs for up to date beta and some flies if you need 'em. Then make the 1:45ish drive up to State College-ish area and explore those streams Monday & Tuesday....Penns, Spring and the Little J, Fishing Creek is a nice one too.

I'm not set on trophy hunting the whole time at all. Just want to hopefully get into some decent size fish [color=FF3333]with some nice scenery -[/color] my trophy chasing days ended when I moved from Colorado (you're always shoulder to shoulder in trophy water anyway). I definitely plan on camping rather than stayin in a hotel if this affects anyone's advice.

I would rather fish the mtns. than south of rte. 80 with traffic and people and crowds.etc. just saying. plus camping in the forest along a stream just can't be beat.

There is good fishing to be had in the Poconos and NC PA.

So fish both. The Poconos are within day tripping range of SE PA.

NC PA is further away, so it would be good for a trip where you can go 2 days or more.

Back