Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: Panfish invading a trout stream!

From Ephrata, PA
"Are you nuts" is a question, FD. Did you not learn anything from 1wt? The man knew how and when to use question marks?

Posted on: 2013/9/23 11:54

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
"Are you nuts" is a question, FD. Did you not learn anything from 1wt? The man knew how and when to use question marks?

In this case, it really wasn't a question.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 12:00

Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
backed off my description to be more ambiguous. Do the same with the quote.

You are too easy.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 12:00

From NE OH
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
backed off my description to be more ambiguous. Do the same with the quote.

You are too easy.

And I was only referring to that fact that he actually explained all of that like I probably didn't understand prior to his explanation. Silly engineers

Posted on: 2013/9/23 12:54

Quote:

PatrickC wrote:

I fished many a Zebco 202 in my childhood. It was my first reel on the Zebro crappie rod.

Crappie rod? Don't you mean Tenkara and I did not take your 202.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 13:48

From NE OH
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

Crappie rod? Don't you mean Tenkara and I did not take your 202.

Nope, those long crappie sticks came out after that. I know exactly what you are talking about and glorified cane poles is all they were.

The original crappie rod Zebco did was the the precursor to what became all of those short Snoopy rods and what ever they have become today. When they transitioned to the long crappie rods, the Snoopy rod was born. I bet I got that thing in about 1975. It's at home on a book shelf. I'll have to photo the thing.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 13:56

From Ohio
boychick, I just fished subsurface. Going into the day I thought it would mainly be a streamer kinda day, but it was a lot lower than I thought. Streamers and stained water provides great fishing on that stream and brings out all the big fish in the teens, but we were a day late. PatrickC hit it perfect. I was going to try some dries but I was having plenty of luck subsurface.

Quote:
Streamerguy -

If this is the same stream where I met you briefly earlier this summer - biker fish and I caught several sunfish that day there also.
Doesn't surprise me. Flooding has impacted that stream a lot - a few of my favorite holes where drastically changed, or not even there any more.

Yep, same stream. That day we ran into each other was the last time I fished it(not counting yesterday). Didn't get any panfish then, but we stopped fishing once we ran into you guys.

There's definitely plenty of holes in that 2mi stretch that changed from the flooding. Some holes seem to have gotten better, and others seem to have gotten worse, but I'm fine with that. Keeps things fresh.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 14:57

From LV
When the weather service says scattered showers that's really what they mean, it could pour at your house and a stream a mile away may not get any rain.

Posted on: 2013/9/23 16:28

Quote:

PatrickC wrote:

Did a little stream maintenance along the way as well. Just removed some sticks and branches from a few of the major pools.

Is this a common practice? How many of you all do this?

And what is the intended purpose/goal?

Posted on: 2013/9/24 10:18

Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:

Did a little stream maintenance along the way as well. Just removed some sticks and branches from a few of the major pools.

I don't typically remove brush from a stream unless it is small and attached to my fly.

I noticed Pat had said that, but decided to pick on him for something else instead.

Besides, he did say stream maintenance and not stream improvement.

I need to bring him along when the leaves are falling.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 10:57

From South Lebanon Township, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:

The only sticks and branches I remove are the ones I inadvertantly hook and drag back to me. The intended purpose/goal is to save my fly!

Posted on: 2013/9/24 11:03

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Yeah, and if the twig/small branch isn't dragable, as in, still attached to the tree, I've been known to break it off, bring the stick down to my level, and THEN remove the fly.

I don't cut for cuttings sake. But I'm fairly aggressive about retrieving my flies.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 11:24

From Lancaster County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:

I'm afraid that this practice is one that only (short-term) benefits the fisherman and not the fish. I still will at times bemoan the stick, log, or tree that "ruins" a hole but have come to realize it's a whole lot better for the fish that way and usually better for the fisherman, in the long run.

Posted on: 2013/9/24 22:54

From NE OH
You guys crack me up.

This is a website that praises the art of tying stuff to a hook, fooling a fish into biting it, hooking the fish in the mouth, and then taking it out of it's environment.

I removed 4 FOUR small branches from the water and you have an issue with that.

YET, you do not have an issue with fooling a fish and robbing it of a meal. Causing that fish to expend unnecessary energy fighting against your line after you hook it in the face, causing it some level of injury (barb or no barb). Then you take the fish out of it's habitat, let it flop around on the rocks, then goof up it's slime layer when you pick it up (whether you wet your hands or not). Now the fish is struggling for some oxygen exchange (after you wore the thing out fighting it) and you snap a few photo and half blind the thing with your flash. And best of all...then you gently set it back in that water, tell him thanks for making YOUR day, and send him on his way.

And then I read a statement that says removing a branch from a pool is only to the short-term benefit of the fisherman. Are you kidding me? EVERYTHING we do on this site is ultimately about what is to the short-term benefit of the fisherman. If it were not, you would stop fishing all together. And let's not forget, outside of the native brook char, the entire trout fishery in PA is contrived. Even though there are some wild populations of trout, they are not native and not doing anything for your other native species. They were put there for your short-term enjoyment.

You are all silly (Except for Squatch...I don't want him to pull my arms off or something.)

Now...commence with further silly statements. I will enjoy the flaming.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 8:02

Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
You guys crack me up.

This is a website that praises the art of tying stuff to a hook, fooling a fish into biting it, hooking the fish in the mouth, and then taking it out of it's environment...

And don't forget about pumping their stomach.

Posted on: 2013/9/25 9:26

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com