PaFlyFish Stream Location Project

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

This winter I am embarking on a special winter project for the PaFlyFish site to enhance the stream location maps. At one time this was one of the cornerstones of the site and now is need of some upgrading. This will help us all more quickly find and know about many locations across the state.

My plans are to start with creating a map to identify all the special regulation streams as designated by the Pa Fish and Boat Commission. We are going to be able to do this through a process of using Google Maps. Google Maps will help the maps be more dynamic and accurate as things change. The Google Map will then be placed inside the PaFlyFish website.

I am asking for some volunteers to help in the map creation. By this I mean a few folks who have knowledge of where these special regulation streams are located so we can accurately identify them on the Google Map. It is a collaborative process and you don’t need to be an expert, but if you have regional knowledge about streams that would be great. I don’t think this will take much time and I would do it myself, but I want to be sure I get some accurate locations identified on the map.

Here is an example below of one used for the Jamboree last year.

If you are interested or have questions please respond here or you can PM.

I think this will be a fun and import work for our fly fishing community. Thank you for you continued support of the site.

Dave

View Larger Map

Dave, sign me up to do Greene, Washington, Fayette and Somerset Counties for starters. Let me know how to find and modify the maps.

Dave,

You may not need to do this. Check out this recommendation in the Book Forum:
http://www.sportsmansconnection.com/atlases/alloutdoors/pa/e/#top

But in all seriousness, sign me up. I could do some streams in the Hbg area.

I sent Dave a pm to volunteer to cover either southeatern PA or northeastern PA, or both if no one else volunteers for either area. I see this as a great chance for all us "users" (Mo's word) to give a little time to contribute to the site. The moderators give a lot of time to the site right now, why not give us "regular" guys a chance to help? Why not see what areas are covered by the regular posters and fill in at the end if necessary. Just a thought.

Afish,

I sent a PM this morning to Dave about SE PA. Don't know too much about NE PA. So maybe you can do NE PA and I'll do SE PA.

Guys,

This is great. I look forward to your help and others that are interested. I am going to set up a set forum for us to discuss the process and steps we can get started. I hope to get this started Sunday. Basically I will set up a new group for us to get started on the project.

Thanks for your interest.

Dave

I think it's a great idea and a "value added" to the board. The atlas looks great, but not everyone is going to buy one. This option offers the reader the ability to locate proven waterways via its interface.

Two thumbs up!

I'm plan on helping whatever way I can.

I pretty much overlap with Jack, but I'm willing to help as needed.

I not sure if I understand. How is this different than using the PAFB's interactive county maps feature on their website? I believe that provided links to goole maps.

Dave,

I think that this is a great idea. While i know this is all just in the works have a suggestion.

I know your looking to get maps of the Special Regulation areas but what about all the other streams. Would be kinda cool to see maps with special reg areas, approved trout waters, class a sections and streams on the natural reproduction list (unstocked waterways). I mean i know this is all time consuming, but heck we got all our lives right? :) Anyways ill help anyway i can...just let me know. I have a lot of streams under my belt. Im sure I could help.

acristickid ,

At one time I had county maps on the site with all the special regulation streams. It looked good, but hard to maintain.

Yes the PFBC has some maps, but I think we can provide something more to our needs.

I think you will like what we come up with. If you have any thoughts on what could be better please share.

Dave

salvelinusfontinalis,

We can go as far as we want. I will suggest we start with some rivers and streams already identified and glad talk about going on from there.

I will add you to the forum.

Dave

Hi,

I have had about several people respond to me who are interested in helping out on the Streams Mapping Project.

I have add you to the new forum Stream Mapping Project Forum under the Forum Announcements Section. Please check in and make sure you have access and can post in the forum. This will be our main area to communicate.

If you can not see or access the site and want to help please let me know so I can add or fix this for you.

Thanks,

Dave

I can help in SEPA as needed.

I'd like to help as well, although most of the special regs in my area are probably better represented by other board members, I have a few streams that I could help with.

Boyer

Dave,

Thanks :) ill be moving all my replys to the other forum now:)

BtW, this is a great idea i want to say. Now instead of giving people all the info, when they ask, we can now say to refer to our maps :p

I'm interested in helping, but am unclear of what is needed to make a productive map.

Dave,

I have little bit of experience in this. I would be glad to offer my 2 cents.

Steve

Thanks all we have the team all set and you all team members should be able to access the Streams Mapping Project Forum.

Dave

Back