PAFF bug photo file

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
I got the idea from Jay's mystery bug thread. Why don't we take bug pics from our PA streams and keep them in a photo file for future reference. A member can post a pic with a listing of the stream date and bug, and if we feel confident that it can be identified as being a certain species, it can be filed and searched under the insect name, stream, and date like stream reports.

We would create a data base of PA insects for reference. Dave Kile doesn't have much to do, so it should be a piece of cake for him! :roll:

Attachments

• Quill Gordon - French Creek (SEPA) - 4-2-11.jpg
    Quill Gordon - French Creek (SEPA) - 4-2-11.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 14
Good. Freaking. Call.

(The members' Bugipedia, that is... as for volunteering Mr. Kile
to spool up some new virtual thread for the bug-page/s, i guess that's cool, too.)

mcfinn wrote:
Good. Freaking. Call.

(The members' Bugipedia, that is... as for volunteering Mr. Kile
to spool up some new virtual thread for the bug-page/s, i guess that's cool, too.)

Yeah, I shot from the hip and don't really know if it can be done, but at worst, if label the thread correctly we can do a regular thread search to find any bug pic. and give details about the hatch on the stream.

Quill Gordon Pic

Good idea. I'll have to take more bug pics, I don't have very many. But I'll add one to the mix here. I'm not even 100% about the ID. But, Green Drake Spinner (AKA Coffin Fly, Shadfly, etc.). Venango County, PA. June 2, 2009.

IMG_1434.jpg

Here's one I have that shows a green drake and a coffin fly ina collage. Both shots were taken on Penns a couple years ago, in early June.
John

Attachments

• Download from Canon SD1000 06-15-10.jpg
    Download from Canon SD1000 06-15-10.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 2
I love this kind of idea. Would be happy to crave out some space on the site for entomology and hatches to the area. These are the kind of things that get a life of their own and always like a champion to help with who is every passionate about the idea.

I know the mods always cringe when I suggest this, but it this another forum area? Just a page on the site. How would this work?

Tom thoughts?

Dave

here is one I still have to ID; size 22 mayfly, and no its not a sulphur.

Attachments

• insects 6-26-07 003.jpg
    insects 6-26-07 003.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 3
dkile wrote:
I love this kind of idea. Would be happy to crave out some space on the site for entomology and hatches to the area. These are the kind of things that get a life of their own and always like a champion to help with who is every passionate about the idea.

I know the mods always cringe when I suggest this, but it this another forum area? Just a page on the site. How would this work?

Tom thoughts?

Dave

Guess that be me, Chief?....lol

A section like we have now the in the photos section is okay, but isn't searchable: Insects and Trout Food

Thinking out loud here:

Maybe a forum with the name that "PA Hatches and Trout Food." Like "Stream Reports" it would be searchable if a format was used to post and title each thread. The poster would post a pic with the name of the Insect - Stream - County - and Date / maybe month.

The first post to start the thread would have the insect pic in it and some details on the hatch. For example a post would be titled "Quill Gordon - French Creek - Chester County - April. Any member can go to the advanced search and choose the "PA Hatches and Trout Food" forum, and choose "Subject" to search for "Quill Gordon" to see a pic. and learn about the insect, or search "French Creek" to find all the hatches listed on the stream, or search "Chester County" for the hatches listed in the area, or search "April" for April Hatches.

Like I said, just thinking out loud.

I think we need to hold off on pics until we figure out the details of this.

My idea would be a searchable database where we could type in an insects name and find a picture/info about it. I think it could get VERY complicated though. Like a BWO from this stream may be different than a BWO from that stream. I'm not techie enough to know how to accomplish this though. Wonder if it could be something like the "fly swap" pages, with pictures and info below of the fly, size, stream, hatch dates, etc.

Def a new forum though.

I would check out this website for ideas:
WESTFLY

I have been using this website the last couple of years for info on trips out west and I was thoroughly impressed with the comprehensive information and organization of this site. It has hatch charts, stream conditions, and insect photos for most major streams in a few western states. I thought this would work well for our eastern states as well. This site will not only give you the hatch info, but when you click on an insect it will show you photos of the various stages of the insects and the appropriate fly to match the stage as well. Very cool IMO.

ryguyfi wrote:
I think we need to hold off on pics until we figure out the details of this.

My idea would be a searchable database where we could type in an insects name and find a picture/info about it. I think it could get VERY complicated though. Like a BWO from this stream may be different than a BWO from that stream. I'm not techie enough to know how to accomplish this though. Wonder if it could be something like the "fly swap" pages, with pictures and info below of the fly, size, stream, hatch dates, etc.

Def a new forum though.

That's my point, Jay's French Creek QG looks a lot different than QG's in other streams.

If the Photo section were searchable, than that would make things easier.

This is a great idea. From a newbie's perspective, this would be a great resource. I could see it being set up in kind of an outline form. I would also love to see some common imitation flies to go along with the pics. I'm not sure if it is possible to collapse threads, but I could see it being set up something like this:

Mayflies
BWO
Region
SE (pics with dates)
NE (pics with dates)
Fly Recipes

Green Drake
Region
SE (pics with dates)
NE (pics with dates)

CADDIS
Grannoms
Region etc...

Again, I don't know if it is even feasible, but I wanted to give some perspective from a newbie.

Edit: I just realized that you can't indent, but you get the picture...

I think it would be best to use some kind of free or open source wiki. Whether Dave could host (and subsequently place ads on) it, or we decided to use a third party host of some sort, it would probably be the best and easiest way to organize the info.

And of course, anyone can edit it. Some sort of moderation would probably be useful, but that can be figured out later down the road.

I'd be willing to look into it if that's desirable.

I shot this in the end of May last year on Clarks
drake.jpg

Could you not just branch off the existing "hatch chart" page by adding clickable linked names of insects. e.g. click on the name green drake on the hatch chart to take you to a page about the green drake. maybe the entomology pages could contain real pictures and maybe some nice imitation examples including nymphs and emerger patterns plus a little bio on the insect. although im sure meck and weamer might not be too thrilled about this since that is what their book covers. haha.

man, would this be nice for a new guy like me. i'm sure whatever you all come up with will be great.

Sandfly, Is that not a male march brown??

Oh and i love the idea.

nope its a hebe (Little Yellow Quill) thanks to tuna for helping id it..

I love the idea as well. It also will give me an excuse, not that I really need one, to use the new 60 mm micro nikkor I just bought last week for a good price. Haven't gotten to use it yet, but wish I had it today, I spotted a fly, about 18 is, two tails kinda looked like a blue quill, I have to look a bit more, dark dun color, reddish orange eyes. Cell phone pics are either blurry or it moved when I snapped the pic. I have an id card, and didn't goto troutnut to id yet.

Well, I thought it was a blue quill, but both they and black quills, even hendricksons have three tails. I was looking for it to take home for better pics but couldn't find another one there.

jayL wrote:
I think it would be best to use some kind of free or open source wiki.

Have you done this in the past?

I looked into it like three years ago, and it seemed overly complex. I could use wikipedia to do basic edits, so looked into it to organize departmental knowledge and balked at how freaking confusing it was.

Three years is also a long time, is it intuitive now?

Back