Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: PA Non Resident 1-day license too $$$$?

From Woodstock, MD
You are right, PA has more cold water fishing opportunities than MD.. But, since I am a PA transplant in MD, I have leaned to adapt. There are some good places to go. I fished the Gunpowder on Monday and got 8 browns in a couple of hours. They are native so they fight very hard. There was also a trico hatch that made life interesting.
Also, if you don't mind driving, western MD is the only place in the east where you can score a brown, rainbow, brook, and cutthroat. You can also see stuff like the grandstand on the Savage River where the Olympics (kayak) were held.

Not sure where you live but the Gunpowder has "real" fish but Big Hunting Creek and Morgan Run are pretty streams that get stocked.

I guess I am saying if you want to expand into MD, I may be able to assist.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 10:45

From SE and NE Pa
I just read where NY is lowering their licence fees. Annual is going from $70 to $50 and daily from $15 to $10. Also none of that hogwash stamp for this and stamp for that crap.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 14:39

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Will be going to Georgia at the end of the month for 3 days. 3 day license is $10.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 17:12

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
I do not think it is appropriately priced, but mostly because I like to disagree with wsender.

I too have to buy non-res and ... well ... the anual aint so bad considering the great fishing PA has.

Yea, the one day is a lot which is exactly why I just bought an annual with only a little over 2 months left. Already planning second outing in under a week.

And Art, you better show up next month.

In other words, I agree with wsender on this, but I don't like it.

The only real question I have is, do I really need a trout stamp for that or would the Erie stamp be enough. I bought the combo, but last year I think I only bought the Erie stamp and nobody questioned it.

If you are fishing the Steelhead tribs you need the Erie Stamp, I don't Believe you need a trout stamp too. at least looking at the regs you don't.

That is what I was thinking too, but most of those streams are also approved trout waters.

Then again, I don't think you need a trout stamp to fish regular trout streams either after a certain date. I believe that applies to the wild (not approved) streams, but not sure. I was too lazy to look it up, so I just got the combo stamp. Besides, I might hit a couple trout streams. I also find that some WCOs don't always know all the rules and could write you up anyway. Goes to a good cause, too, ... I think.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 6:43

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Will be going to Georgia at the end of the month for 3 days. 3 day license is $10.

North Carolina's was $10 for 10 days! Too bad I bought it couldn't use it....

Posted on: 2013/10/31 8:17

From Pittsburgh, PA
Can't remember where I saw it, but the average cost to raise a creelable trout is like $2.50/fish plus another $0.50 on average to stock (gas, drivers, maintenance of trucks). So all told you're in the neighborhood of $3.00/trout. If an out of state guy comes in and creels his limit that's $15 of state money lost. That's just trout, he may creel other species as well. Add to that Conservation Officers salaries, stream maintenance, biological studies, etc. and it's easy to see where the PFBC is not really out of line with their out of state fees.

Posted on: 2013/10/31 9:29

Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

In other words, I agree with wsender on this, but I don't like it.

Oh come on, you know it feels good, don't fight it!

Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

I too have to buy non-res and ... well ... the anual aint so bad considering the great fishing PA has.

I think this is a big part of it too. PA has the best cold water fishing East of the Rockies, and is in the top 5 nationwide, IMO. Compared to its neighbors, it's supreme. I think it's easy to spoiled and think the value is low. After living in CNY and WNY, PA is incredible.

Cold water fly fishing is awful in NYS. With the exception of the Catskills and the Adirondack, NYS offers virtually nothing in what many people in PA would consider a cold water fishery. Sure we have lake run fish, but it's a zoo. People flock in from all over, catch their limits, and then leave. People shoulder to shoulder against a posted wire is no way to fish....

Fishing in PA is a privilege, and a great one. I'd kill to have a stream with 1/10th of the fish density that are in the Little Juniata.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 8:51

Quote:

wsender wrote:

Fishing in PA is a privilege, and a great one. I'd kill to have a stream with 1/10th of the fish density that are in the Little Juniata.

You do. A few of them.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 9:16

None anywhere where I live. Migratory does not count...

Posted on: 2013/11/1 9:29

I don't know of exactly where you live, but there are a few in and around the Syracuse area.

Posted on: 2013/11/1 12:40

Quote:

SBecker wrote:
a few

My point exactly, a few. They're mostly stocked and mostly not wild reproducing, and they're east of Syracuse which is primarily the Adirondacks which I stated as a caveat in my previous post.

Any of the ones that are more around the Syracuse area are glorified drainage ditches. Most of them are outlets of the finger lakes and the flows are at the whims of lake house owners. You can pretty much expect them to be too hot to fish by mid June at the latest.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 8:10

sender you're wrong. ny doesn't have many spring creeks like pa does, but has tons of wild trout. the Catskills and Adirondacks cover a large area and have lots of cold water opportunities. wny south of the thruway has great wild trout fishing, information just isn't on the internet readily available like pa, no class a list, etc. as far as lake run, heres a hint, fish the streams that have longest stretch of water before a dam (or no dam). the sr, oak, 18 mile, genny, etc are zoos, there are a few others that aren't.

I'm not going to argue what state had better fishing, butit's almost funny to hear you trash ny,, you really don't have a clue. spend more time on the water and less time researching on the internet and you'll figure it out.

btw, I get anon res pa lisence each year to fish spring creeks, to me is worth the money.

Posted on: 2013/11/3 19:08

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
148 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com