Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: PA Non Resident 1-day license too $$$$?

From South Central PA
The lower part of the MD license application shows what other states charge, and therefore what MD charges using reciprocity.

MD Fishing License Application pdf

Note there is no such thing as a 1-day license in MD, so it has to be a 3-day at minimum. That makes it $26.70 (PA 3-day license reciprocity) plus $10 for a stamp. I don't like the prices either and so use fish-for-free days, but it is tough when the Potomac and Catoctins are calling like Sirens.

PA fishing License Sales History

In PA, note revenues are near all-time highs. The higher prices counter lower sales. They have been doing this for years.

Nevertheless, you can't argue when comes to trying to save money in this labor market. Price increases should be resisted and prices generally should be lower. Those in decision making positions should hear that.

Posted on: 2013/10/25 18:09

I think they're appropriately priced, and I'm an out of state buyer.

I think the mentality is to get people to buy a full years license. The PFBC and the Commonwealth and general don't want people to come fish for a day and then not return. They want people to come and fish multiple times a year, to stay in hotel, eat at restaurants, etc. Instead of thinking of the 1-day as a bad deal, they want you to look at the full year and think you're getting a deal, which you are. The full year license is almost 15 dollars cheaper then the equivalent NYS license.

I know I make sure to return to PA to fish because I feel I want to get my moneys worth out of my yearly license.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 17:45

In Colorado, the visitors license is about $35 for 4-5 days (plus another $20 for Natl Park access). Yeah, I wish it was less, but probably would pay more. It's terrific water. Likewise, PA has terrific water in the mid-Atlantic region, with tons of miles and variety. Do the neighboring states offer such a rich choice? To use the movie theater analogy, a movie-goer will pick the lower priced theater, if all things are equal. What if one has 10 screens with the hottest movies, vs 2 screens. PA is a bargain.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 23:11

From Erie Co.
It seams to me a round of golf is about the same. If you think it is too high don't fish here. Almost the same as a movie ticket and popcorn and soda.

Posted on: 2013/10/26 23:21

From Harrisburg
It's too high. It's also too high most other places, but that doesn't make it okay here.

The yearly cost is fine- I have no problem with that. But you can bet that most out-of-state fishermen don't buy licenses because of the high fee. 5, 10, even 15 dollars is an appropriate donation in my opinion.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 18:36

Quote:

NoMoreCornChuckin wrote:
According to PA Game Commission, if I owned 80 or more acres, I would qualify for a resident license.

I did not know that. Do you have a link? I own over 80 acres and that would be a nice discount.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 20:11

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
But you can bet that most out-of-state fishermen don't buy licenses because of the high fee.

If that's the case...then good. Especially with all the spot burnzzz and what not..

Posted on: 2013/10/27 20:12

From E-Town and Germania
I'm pretty sure all the fishermen I see in Potter with OH, MD, NJ, NY, VA, Ontario, etc. plates have bought licenses. And there's plenty of them.

Posted on: 2013/10/27 20:29

From LV
If your that close buy a season license. NJ is $40 for a non res. New York has the lowest price nearby.
But licenses for Mt are very high, as are some of the other western states.
At 26.70 it's a bargain in PA.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 10:46

Edited by Chaz on 2013/10/28 11:11:41

From LV
Quote:

wsender wrote:
I think they're appropriately priced, and I'm an out of state buyer.

I think the mentality is to get people to buy a full years license. The PFBC and the Commonwealth and general don't want people to come fish for a day and then not return. They want people to come and fish multiple times a year, to stay in hotel, eat at restaurants, etc. Instead of thinking of the 1-day as a bad deal, they want you to look at the full year and think you're getting a deal, which you are. The full year license is almost 15 dollars cheaper then the equivalent NYS license.

I know I make sure to return to PA to fish because I feel I want to get my moneys worth out of my yearly license.

Exactly!

Posted on: 2013/10/28 10:47

From South Central,PA
Quote:
It seams to me a round of golf is about the same. If you think it is too high don't fish here. Almost the same as a movie ticket and popcorn and soda.

The golf analogy makes sense, for some people, but I don't golf for several reasons and price being #1. I am a PA resident and pay for my license here every year. I have no problem with it because I get more than my money's worth out of the enjoyment here in my home state. My problem is that MD charges a reciprocal rate, meaning I have to pay the PA rate to fish out of state. I don't blame MD for doing this...they probably do it this way because PA charges an inflated rate for out of state...it's only fair to Marylanders.

The reason I started this topic is because I want to go test the waters just down the road from me in Maryland. I might only fish once yet this year. It's really not worth the license so I will hold out until next year.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 11:58

From Other side of the tracks
I do not think it is appropriately priced, but mostly because I like to disagree with wsender.

I too have to buy non-res and ... well ... the anual aint so bad considering the great fishing PA has.

Yea, the one day is a lot which is exactly why I just bought an annual with only a little over 2 months left. Already planning second outing in under a week.

And Art, you better show up next month.

In other words, I agree with wsender on this, but I don't like it.

The only real question I have is, do I really need a trout stamp for that or would the Erie stamp be enough. I bought the combo, but last year I think I only bought the Erie stamp and nobody questioned it.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 14:28

From LV
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
I do not think it is appropriately priced, but mostly because I like to disagree with wsender.

I too have to buy non-res and ... well ... the anual aint so bad considering the great fishing PA has.

Yea, the one day is a lot which is exactly why I just bought an annual with only a little over 2 months left. Already planning second outing in under a week.

And Art, you better show up next month.

In other words, I agree with wsender on this, but I don't like it.

The only real question I have is, do I really need a trout stamp for that or would the Erie stamp be enough. I bought the combo, but last year I think I only bought the Erie stamp and nobody questioned it.

If you are fishing the Steelhead tribs you need the Erie Stamp, I don't Believe you need a trout stamp too. at least looking at the regs you don't.

Posted on: 2013/10/28 17:17

From Chester County
Agreed with Chaz above ^

From the F&B site:

When is a Lake Erie or Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie permit required?

All anglers fishing Pennsylvania waters of Lake Erie, Presque Isle Bay and their tributaries, including waters that flow into those tributaries, are required to possess a valid Lake Erie permit or Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie permit....view Lake Erie and tributary regulations for a list of main tributaries that require a permit.

COMBINATION TROUT-SALMON/LAKE ERIE PERMIT — In many cases an angler may need both a trout/salmon permit and a Lake Erie permit to fish in waters in the Erie area. Rather than purchasing these individually, a Combination Trout-Salmon/Lake Erie permit may be purchased.

Posted on: 2013/10/29 5:09

From Woodstock, MD
I live in MD but grew up in PA. I pay the $65 for the PA license every January. I used to be a golfer so the license seems pretty cheap. I guess it's relative but for what used to cost me for one round of golf on a weekend, I can fish all year in PA. And, if I start fishing and decide, "I have other things to do", I can get out of the water and go home. Once you start a round of golf, you're pretty much stuck.

My 2 cents.

Posted on: 2013/10/30 10:37

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com