Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15)

Re: Overrated Trout Streams

"2. Slate and Cedar Runs- Maybe I need to fish them more, but when you get beyond their undeniable beauty there isn't anything to differentiate them from 100's of small wild trout streams in PA. Have been there in late April and in late May and the bugs have been sparse and the rises sparser."

Yep, pretty much run of the mill, nothing to see here move along. PLEASE Pass that on to as many people as possible !!!

Posted on: 2011/8/21 20:40

Quote:

double00 wrote:
"2. Slate and Cedar Runs- Maybe I need to fish them more, but when you get beyond their undeniable beauty there isn't anything to differentiate them from 100's of small wild trout streams in PA. \

Yes, but the 100s of small wild trout streams in PA are UNDERATED!

Posted on: 2011/8/21 22:52

Slate and Cedar are beautiful streams and I wouldn't hesitate to fish them were I in the area. I live in the Philly burbs and would not make a special trip to those streams as I consider the Big Four in the State College area much better options. To each their own.

Posted on: 2011/8/22 10:09

From York
I lived in lycoming county above slate run in the Black Forest for ever. I say, Pine, Pine, and Pine, is overrated.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 14:00

http://troutpa.blogspot.com/

From Dauphin PA
Speaking of overrated streams....... the Tully is almost down to a bone chilling 71 degrees! Get ready boys, it's fishing time in another 3-4 weeks. LMAO. Too bad 90% of fish have been harvested, died due to temps or they've been eaten by herons.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 20:05

There really aren't many streams that meet my expectations. The only ones that have exceeded, really have done well by me are 1) The Susquehanna when it WAS the SUSQUEHANNA 2) the Missouri 3)Spring creek 4) Little juniata 5) Bitterroot.
What I get a kick out of are small, unknown streams that surprise me , like the stream past my parents' house that yields 14" wild browns, and the 17" wild brown that came out of a tributary to Horse Creek.
At times, streams have been exhilarating to fish: Penns, the Gallatin, Madison, Erie Tribs. But I've had PLENTY of poor fishing on those streams as well.
On other streams, like Oil Creek, you have to know it, what to expect and understand where it fits and what it does. Without this, I'll call it "Comfort Level", it's common that expectations and fishing experience don't match.

Posted on: 2011/8/31 22:30

From Ephrata, PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
Speaking of overrated streams....... the Tully is almost down to a bone chilling 71 degrees! Get ready boys, it's fishing time in another 3-4 weeks. LMAO. Too bad 90% of fish have been harvested, died due to temps or they've been eaten by herons.

It gets restocked in October.

I'll say this about the Tully. I love that stream. When I get off work on a Tuesday or something, I can shoot up there in about 20 minutes. I know they're all stockies, but I still have to use 7x most time! Its a great place to practice my casts and presentation, a quick "steam blower" at the end of a work day, and a nice setting. I really appreciate all the work that goes into making that place a nice place to fish.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 8:09

From Eastern PA
Quote:

krayfish wrote:

Overrated? It is continually pissed on as a marginal stocked fishery. It's poorly rated.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 8:12

From North Central PA
Loyalsock is pretty overrated. IMHO.

Posted on: 2011/9/1 8:40

From Meadville,Pa
Well when I was 25 and sorta rated a stream based on the number of fish I caught in it, I would have said Kettle Creek and Big Pine. Now that I am retired and base my like or dislike of a stream more on my having had an overall good day I would say Spring Creek. I am not too fond of fishing in someones yard with cars trucks tractors and joggers being a constant annoyance. Nothing more plesant for me than to be on a stream on a nice fall morning with maybe a hatch or rising trout taking terrestrials, surrounded by trees and wildlife and maybe, possibly catching a few fish. Numbers of fish have no relevence on my experience, some of the best days I've had were fishless. I have always caught more fish in Spring than I have at either Fishing or Penns but prefer these two over Spring because of the setting.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 14:06

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Spring was never bad IMO. I generally pick places where it runs away from the road and yards.

I've seen my share of deer and other wildlife, and I'm either in the woods or surrounded by woods. It's a relatively pleasant little valley. As far as surroundings, it's not among my top streams, but it ain't anywhere near the bottom either.

On my personal rating/enjoyment measure of a stream, I do take setting into account. Places like BFC and Penns do get bonus points for the setting. Spring does not, but it doesn't get penalized either.

Posted on: 2011/9/22 14:54

From Central, PA

I never leave Penns so many spots to fish monster browns. I live close to Spring I never fish it great stream though for people that want to come from farther away to fish as theres a ton of trout in it. spring creek trout hit about anything you throw out there when ive fished it caught alot of trout in cicada was insane. I dont have a vote for overrated lol.

Posted on: 2011/9/24 13:52

« 1 ... 12 13 14 (15)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
91 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com