Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 15 »

Re: Overrated Trout Streams

From Limerick, Pa
Darby Crick.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 16:38

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Sorry, I'm with others. I don't mind fishing for stocked trout, I do it and I have fun doing it. But you can't call your stream a "destination" stream if the majority of the fishing is for adult stocked fish. Fingerlings, alright, but stockies, no. A well stocked stream is manmade, something we could do with just about any stream if we wanted to. Any reputation gained should go to the credit of the fish commission, not to the stream. It'd be like going to a restaurant and bringing your own food, and then saying "boy is that restaurant good." Nothing wrong with enjoying the food you brought but the restaurant shouldn't get the credit for it.

That doesn't mean a place like Kettle Creek isn't a special place. When I think of it, I don't think of the main stream. I think of what is truly a spectacular drainage. The Kettle itself isn't the draw of the Kettle Creek drainage, except maybe the upper end is part of it, but no bigger part than Cross Fork or any of the other tribs. So is it overrated? The stream is, the drainage isn't.... The same can be said of Pine, and many other northern tier larger streams.

As for the Tully, a certain local flyshop has on their webpage description, and I quote, "Located in Reading, PA, the Tully is one of the finest tailwater fisheries in the East." Somebody once questioned me why I'm not all that fond of that particular shop, and this is one example why. Like I said, I'm happy to have it, its 5 minutes out my back door and its a nice place to go for a few hours after work, not everyone has that and I know it and appreciate it. But noway, nohow is it anywhere even on a PA top 30 list. And regarding tailwaters, there are at least 4 tailwater fisheries in this state alone that are better, much less the entire "east."

Posted on: 2009/4/9 20:41

No, honestly all i see you guys bitch moan and whine about is wild trout vs stocked trout. And you all seem to think because you caught a trout with full fins that its a wild gem. So many of the creeks mentioned barely hold over fish let alone have the right conditions for streambreds. Go fishing and quit bitching.

Posted on: 2009/4/9 23:43

From Emigrant, Mt
Damn, I was away for a few days and missed this thread... This is a classic "Ford vs Chevy blonde vs brunette vs redhead" thing. Is there really such a thing as a perfect trout stream? IMHO, the closest we get to that is the one we are currently fishing.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 1:44

Joining the fray late but I would have to say the Yough. Yes I am sure that there are tons of fish in there, and yes there are even some monsters and yes you can fish it in August but.....(and perhaps I just suck)....I have not ever experianced a successful day there.

Now this whole perception would change if I ever fished it with someone who I watched "slay them". Then I could chalk up my putrid performance as lack of skill or bad timing....but I have yet to see otherwise.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 10:17

ryanh- I hear you.

That water baffels me more than any other. Probably fished it 25 days or so in the last 2 years. What a mystery. The several years I fished it I had one really good day there (not counting recent stockers up near the dam). I can find risers at dark- gets a little spooky several miles down the bike path.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 10:40

From Bozeman
Quote:

Spyder20oz wrote:
No, honestly all i see you guys bitch moan and whine about is wild trout vs stocked trout. And you all seem to think because you caught a trout with full fins that its a wild gem. So many of the creeks mentioned barely hold over fish let alone have the right conditions for streambreds. Go fishing and quit bitching.

Hi,

I'm jay and you don't know what you're talking about. The first step is admitting it...

Posted on: 2009/4/10 10:44

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

Spyder20oz wrote:

Since I'm new here I have tried to be polite for the most part, but guess what? The only two post's that I've read from this character have both been smart azz comments that refer to many of us here. I'm still waiting to hear from him exactly what his stance is on native/wild trout fishing.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 11:17

From lancaster county
he doesnt have one thats why it doesnt matter to him

Posted on: 2009/4/10 16:36

From Johnstown, PA
In my opinion the only "overated" trout streams are the ones you have to pay more than most can afford to fish them, when, in most cases, right down the road all you need is a license to do just as well on.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 18:04

Mine would be anywhere the fishing is easier than all the hype by wannabe bowed to types would have you believe.
Letort-over-rated ,Penns-I bow to
Madison river over-rated Yellowstone -beat me more often than not
Maybe I misunderstand but how could a stream that you can't catch fish known to be there be over-rated? Wouldn't that be too tough for ones ability?? :)

Posted on: 2009/4/10 18:22

From Harrisburg
Penns. Beautiful as they come, a billion bugs, but not near the rises that should be seen. Drakes have turned into more of a social gathering than flyfishing.
Same with Pine.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 21:23

From Lobachsville, PA
Spring Creek (hatchery-prison area) in Central PA, it's good for guiding clients, but it like fishing at a hatchery. The fish seem to know to just lay over and be pulled in. I have caught some nice size fish there and the fight is nothing compared to a Penns Creek, Fishing Creek trout. And 80% of the time is size 20 flies...
But it still is fun when thinks are working.

Posted on: 2009/4/12 7:32

From Oberlin Ohio, but my heart is in McKean County
Concerning the stock vs. wild debate:
Wild fish tie in more closely to the spiritual side of the sport. Why do we take such care to study the water, tie great flies, wrap beautiful rods and travel so far just to go to the fish market? To me, stockers are bought, wild trout are earned.
The most over-rated stream?:
Kettle! Why would you fish this ditch with Young Woman's so close by?

Posted on: 2009/4/12 11:42

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

jayded75 wrote:
Kettle! Why would you fish this ditch with Young Woman's so close by?

'Cause it's easier to stumble back into after several beers and a Bubba burger at Deb's place.

YWC is sweet when it has water in it. The upper end of Kettle isn't too shabby either, but I'd have to agree with your opinion overall. There's a lot of other good waters up there besides just those two.

Posted on: 2009/4/12 12:14

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com