Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 »

Re: Overrated Trout Streams

From Cato, NY
The WB. is my favorite place to fish and it's not even close. I like to make extended trips when i go to fish the D and for a change of pace sometimes I like to fish the BK or the Willow. The willow I only fished twice before but it is a nice stream.

The EB is my next haunt.

It's funny you mention Cairn's pool because I avoid that pool at all costs but last year I caught lightening in a bottle.....amazing early season hendrickson hatch with only one other fisherman in the pool. The weather was atrocious, snow, sleet, rain and the fishing was incredible. Two days back to back too. The duns couldn't get off the water and every fish in Cairn's was working and big fish too. Check out the pic from my post on page 10.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 8:09

From Dauphin PA
I don't have a dog in this fight but if I had to choose, it would be very tough. When the conditions are right... EB all the way. Day in and day out quality... WB.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 8:59

I'm an EB fan. Like the large picky browns in tough lies and the lower crowds (although that seems to be changing). However, all the waters have their day. In April the upper EB nearer the dam will be clearer when the others can be blown out and can be the best shot at Hendricksons. In late May/early June the variety of bugs on the freestones is crazy and the Beaverkill can be the best shot. In summer it is the tailwaters for the cool water, but a trip to the upper reaches of the Willowemoc for brookies is a nice option now and again. In the fall I hit rapids in the EB/Bkill system for the bows coming in. When the streams rise the streamer bite can be crazy. It all depends on water levels, sun, season etc. Good that all those streams create different options.

I had my one off the hook Cairns experience about 6 years ago. Drove by Cairns in the evening and there was a swarm of coffin flies at the head of the pool that was twice as high as the Rte 17 bridge. Well I stopped pretty quick when I saw that and was trying to figure out where to squeeze in the mob. Oddly enough when it started getting dark everybody else left but me and two old-timers. An hour later the coffin flies dropped and the fishing was sick with monster fish slurping all over the place. The giants that hide all day all came up when 2" spinners are on the water and provided a real adrenalin rush. Size 6 White Wulffs, 3x tippet, and short casts in the direction the the loudest slurps did the trick. Only happened to me once though.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 10:38

From Dauphin PA
About 5 yrs ago, I got to Carins and it was packed. The water was up and I had a death defying crossing at the head of the pool. I got to the other side and was up on the bluff spotting fish. I went down the bank and picked off 40 fish in 2-2 1/2 hrs. As I was doing it, several of the guys sat on the bench and watched. When I came back across, two of the old timers started clapping. They told me that was some display of fishing. I told them it was easy because all of the fish were stacked up on that bank and I could see them plain as day. They wanted to know where I guided out of and I just started laughing. "I'm just a hack fisherman" was my reply.

The EB during Hendricksons, Shad Caddis, March Browns and Drakes can be absolutely awesome. We had a fish straighten a #16 caddis pupa hook earlier this year. The distance between the rise and tail had us thinking the fish was in the neighborhood of 25". Didn't land him though.

Jeff,
You get bows to take streamers in the fall? I can't ever get bows to eat streamers on that river. What's the trick?

Posted on: 2011/8/18 12:10

From Cato, NY
Cairns is a strange place for sure. I have met some of the strangest people near that bench and some real gas bags too. I mean guys that talked and talked and talked about fishing but would never get in the water and fish.

The story I told above when it was snowing, sleeting, raining, you name the weather and it happened...some nut job was wading in cairn's in a T-shirt...no jacket....just waders. When he came out he said it's nothing because he fishes the salmon river all the time and it's even colder up there. He then preceded to tell me he hooks 50 steelhead every time he goes and then I just stopped listening because I knew he wasn't right in the head. I could go on and on with some of the crazies that fish that spot.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 12:57

From Bozeman
Aaron caught a pig bow on a streamer. It's possible. No idea how to do it consistently.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 13:33

From Dauphin PA
BTW, that was me and I do catch 50 chromers every time I go there.

LMAO

I know Aaron caught one but you don't understand how rare that is. <--- insert story from RowJimmy--->

Posted on: 2011/8/18 16:07

I don't fish streamers for bows much in the fall. I started with iso and caddis patterns, but then figured out #12 Prince nymphs work nearly all the time so that is what I generally use now. However, at the end of a drift I let them swing around and retrieve them and get a lot on the swing or when I first start retrieving. I have had the odd good day with peacock herl bodied buggers fished real slow - basically dead drifted and swung around. I've had one buddy who clobbered them with an egg pattern in the riffles below Acid Factory. Seems like a bunch of approaches have a good day now and again, but I bet on a Prince nymph for the fall bows.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 18:08

From Dauphin PA
I agree w/ the Prince nymph call. They do clean up w/ the bows. The other fly I've done well with is a sparkle green caddis larva.

Posted on: 2011/8/18 21:53

From Ebensburg, PA
Quote:

jayL wrote:
I don't think every stream is overrated by his standards. Just the ones that are hailed as destinations. I'm inclined to agree. If I'm driving over an hour to a stream, it had better have wild or fingerling stocked fish. There is something about fishing water that trout can actually LIVE in that does it for me.

I agree here, especially as far as Spruce Creek. I've looked at sections of it, seen tv shows etc and it looks spectacular. A month back or so, I was talking to a guy about Spruce. He bragged about fishing a private section where the "gigantic rainbows" got all stirred up when they rattled the feeding bin.

Thats sad.

Posted on: 2011/8/19 13:58

From Monessen, PA
Re: Spruce

Not all the private land is stocked, not all of it dominated by pellet-fed fish and a lot of it as wild as Montana. It would be nice to prohibit stocking and have larger areas for public access, but the state doesn't have the millions it would take to do that. So, it is what it is.

I doubt it is over-rated everytime I pull up to the empty lot.

Posted on: 2011/8/19 14:09

Late to the dance here, but:

1. Little Lehigh- Gets worse every year. I'm an hour away and won't bother with it anymore.

2. Slate and Cedar Runs- Maybe I need to fish them more, but when you get beyond their undeniable beauty there isn't anything to differentiate them from 100's of small wild trout streams in PA. Have been there in late April and in late May and the bugs have been sparse and the rises sparser.

3. Cross Fork and Hammersly Fork- Are these even worth fishing anymore?

Posted on: 2011/8/21 9:45

From Southeastern Pa
I'll agree with you there. Slate run has seen a drastic decline in fish. The Slate Run Sportsmen are currently trying to research or fund research into looking at the streams issues.

There are varying ideas about the decline. One has to do with acid coming from a bog or some pocket of water up on the mountain that flows into slate every time it rains.

in any case, it is definitely on the decline according to the SRS.

Posted on: 2011/8/21 10:20

From Lehighton, PA
I drive almost six hours every June to fish one Afish's overrated streams and I look forward to it every year. Beautiful pocket water, mountainous scenery, great friends, awesome food, good hatches and plenty of hungry trout. I love my annual West Br. Ausable River trips. Heading up in September for the Isonychias and fall colors.

Posted on: 2011/8/21 10:36

From Chester County
Quote:

RyanR wrote:
I drive almost six hours every June to fish one Afish's overrated streams and I look forward to it every year. Beautiful pocket water, mountainous scenery, great friends, awesome food, good hatches and plenty of hungry trout. I love my annual West Br. Ausable River trips. Heading up in September for the Isonychias and fall colors.

LOL....The Ausable is overrated as a trout stream, IMO, but YMMV. Surprisingly, it warms and is mostly dependent on stocked trout....but scenery can't be beat!....and it's a pocket water / nymphers dream. Go for it! I really enjoyed fishing there. Good luck on your trip, RR.

Posted on: 2011/8/21 11:20

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
59 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com