Overlining

kmmichael51

kmmichael51

Im going to be taking my girlfriend to a fly fishing teaching weekend where she will steelhead fish both days. She is a beginner and has fished chuck and duck for salmon, but wants to learn to fly cast the right way. my question is should I overline her rod 1 weight with a weight forward line to help her feel the line on the rod.

I'm not sure it's a good idea for a beginner. Generally I don't like to over line a rod though.

I agree with Chaz. Don't over line it.

I agree as well. Not a fan of overlining.

GC

If you can, try both and see which she likes the feel of. Something she has confidence in using is far more important than what the "right" answer is. Since there is no real standard between rods and lines, you might be lining it just right anyway.

depends on what make and model rod it is and how far you will be casting.
Some sage models are notoriously under -rated in some folks opinion - their TCX model is generally under-rated by 2 line sizes if you believe CCS data. In other words a 5 wt in that series measures out like a 7 wt, etc. Those rods are made for long distance casting. Not the best brookie stream rod.
If you are using an Orvis superfine they cast and fish well with the stated line size in the 20 - 40 ft. range.
If I am fishing close in with a stiffer rod I may overline it to get the feel and fishability that I want. If fishing big water and some distance I'll use a Sage XP with the stated line size cause then I'll have 40 - 50' of line out most of the time.

kbobb wrote:
depends on what make and model rod it is and how far you will be casting.
Some sage models are notoriously under -rated in some folks opinion - their TCX model is generally under-rated by 2 line sizes if you believe CCS data. In other words a 5 wt in that series measures out like a 7 wt, etc. Those rods are made for long distance casting. Not the best brookie stream rod.
If you are using an Orvis superfine they cast and fish well with the stated line size in the 20 - 40 ft. range.
If I am fishing close in with a stiffer rod I may overline it to get the feel and fishability that I want. If fishing big water and some distance I'll use a Sage XP with the stated line size cause then I'll have 40 - 50' of line out most of the time.
All good points, Like I said I generally don't do it, but as pointed out by kbobb above there may be good reasons to over line.

i think over lining depends on a few options. one the action of the rod and two personal preferance. for steelhead you cast alot, my current favorite setup is a 10 foot st croix imperial 7 wt over lined with a 8 wt wulff ambush triangle taper, i had the line on my 8 wt echo, but it seemed i was working too hard. over lining the 7 wt made it a slower action but its so much smoother simpler to cast

it depends I think you should cast it and see how it feels. I like overlining sometimes. it does depend on the rod. I love my bvk but it needs a heavy line on it to get the full casting power out of it. its also a 10 wt. I use rio outbound. it a 10 wt line but not really kinda like 10.5 11weight line. some people like overlining some hate it. id start out with normal and work your way up.

Back