OutdoorSportsmanAuctions.com ???

T

TroutBuster

Has any one ever tried this online outdoor gear auction? They advertise it on TV so I took a look at it. Lots of outdoor, fishing, and hunting gear that seems to sell for just a few bucks (and with reasonable shipping prices). Im looking at a Shimano spinning reel that just sold for $0.11! I dunno, seems a little too good to be true. I guess how they get you is that you have to buy "bids" in order to place a bid. You buy a pack of like 45 bids for instance. But even that sells for just pennies. Just wondered if anyone has had any luck with this.....

It's almost a scam. Basically you purchase the bids that you mentioned, and then you also pay the actual price on the items. Many lowest auction sites also make you pay for your individual bids, whether or not you win the auction. The catch is that you only win the item if you are the lowest unchallenged bidder. That means that if anyone else bid, say, .47 cents, your bid of that is canceled.

Needless to say, there is very little strategy involved. If the item is a bigger ticket item, expect more competition and thus a slightly higher bid. You can not actually expect to win items, it's basically a raffle.

Kinda sounds like a silent auction to me. Looks like all the bids on the site are right around a dollar. You'd think for a high dollar reel someone would bid maybe half the actual value just to ensure they are uncontested. Yea something does seem shady about it....

Back