Old Loggers Path

IloveBrookies

IloveBrookies

A buddy and I plan on backpacking the Old Loggers Path in a week and we plan on doing some fishing along the way as well...just wondering what flies might be good to tie up for the streams that are in the area. Thanks!

How many day(s) are ypou spending on it?

Any patterns will work...they are all brookie streams: large bushy dries ro bright nymphs, possible a small streamer or two.

I don't want to hamper your fishing, but from me experience a lot of the streams the mirrow the path are over-fished and don't fish well. I think you'd be better off hiking the trail in 1 day, maybe 2 and spend a antoher day fishing streams in the area. You'll be able to hit up 2 or 3 streams that have more and bigger fish.

we're planning on doing the loop trail and are in no rush to do it...if we find a nice stream or two, we could spend an extra day or two fishing...

another question: I've read that where the trail crosses pleasant run there is no bridge...is all the recent rain blowing out the stream there?

In 2008, when I hiked it (Meml Day weekend in fact), Pleasant Run was knee deep, fast, and very cold. It's along a dirt road, so not sure I'd want to camp there, at least with a backpack.

As for other streams, the OLP follows Rock Run a bit, but that stream is a rock chute, very pretty but few fish and maybe AMD -- reports here say some tribs have natives. On the trail leading to Pleasant Run was a nice little stream named Long Run (?). On the OLP several miles south of Pleasant Run, there is a fantastic vista.

Trail reports say Pleasant Run Road may be closed in one spot -- might want to call to check where the closure is.

You will have to cross Pleasant Stream.

Once you head North of it you'll follow a brookie stream, but it isn't very fertile and hold few brookies.

My advise is to walk up or down the road and fish the other handful of streams that dump into Pleassant Stream (every couple hundred yards). They fish way better.

OLP does pass Rock Run and Mike it right, more for scenery and not fishing.

Thanks for the input guys...so any suggestions for good camping spots where we could set up camp and then catch a few fish nearby?

There's a big "flat" below the bridge over Pleasant Stream at Masten. It's the site of the old logging town back in the day.

I've seen fire circles there, so obviously people camp there. I recommend that you call the state forest office and ask them about a camping spot.

I've had good fishing in Pleasant Stream, when conditions were good, in the upper end.

The lower sections have poor habitat and low trout populations IMHO.

Nothing better than clearing some brush and plopping your tent down.

I've only caught a few fish out of pleasant stream and they were stockers. I know it's supposed to have a good population of wild trout, but I've never caught any....doesn't help that the last time I was in the upper section I forgot my reel.

Back