Off Topic - My recovery

Padraic

Padraic

Hey all,

I thought you’d want to know. I took my first steps in therapy today.

The therapist had to drag my left leg forward. That’s the one that is less responsive. But I was able to lift up my right leg and step forward with it. We did a few experimental steps this way, then backed up and walked the length of the parallel bars. I guess that is about 10’.

The next thing is to strengthen the hamstring on my left leg. That muscle is being overpowered by the quad, which is why I couldn’t step with it. I’m going to be getting a standing frame for home soon. That’ll help me exercise my legs and get accustomed to being vertical again.

Well, none of this would be happening without your support. Thanks for being in my corner.

Padraic

Remember Pad, Pain is weakness leaving the body. Pain is temporary and pride is forever.And good luck on your recovery...

Pad,
Yes. That is great news. Even though I never had the op to meet you at a jamboree, since I've been posting on PFF for 10 years, I feel I do know you. I wish you the very best. And perhaps someday we can meet on the stream. You keep pushing my man. And I'll keep praying.
schrec

Hey Pad,

Very encouraging news. Hang in there - keep up the good work.

Very best regards,

JackSteel

Good new's, just remember, small steps today will bring about larger steps tomorrow.....In my prayers Pad.

Stay with it Pad we are all rooting for you!!!

Excellent news Pad. sounds like you're on your way!
Coughlin

PF

Love it!

Now that you got your vice fixed, I'll be sending you my winter list of flies that I need :-D

PG

Pad,
I hope to be able in the spring to take you fishing somewhere, if only for a half dayor a couple of hours, I'm praying for your recovery.
Chaz

Pad,
Hang in there! You probably don't remeber me but we met at a PA TU event a while back. i admire your courage and determination.
Steveo

Tears of Joy..... Always in my prayers Padraic.... Stay strong and continue to take things one day at a time.... NTM, you have to be able to keep an eye on my Daddy O this year at the Fishing Jamboree so these guys do not corrupt him.... Love From my Family... Deneen Gethouas

Well, more good news today.

I had a follow up with my neurologist, Dr. Reitter. As it happens, I was in a very expensive wheelchair today (it's a demo that I am being "loaned") and he commented on how nice it is. I told him that I had no intention of buying a chair (I'm renting), because buying a chair feels permanent and I don't intend to be in a chair permantly. He nodded and said that's reasonable. He seems to think that walking again is a very likely outcome, although I might need a cane or walker.

So the big question is, does anyone make a split cane cane? :p

So the big question is, does anyone make a split cane cane?

Pad, it is good to see that you got a good sense of humor. hanf in there and ( git-er-done )

Merle

Padraic We have never met but I wanted to send along some best wishes for a speedy recovery. I am in the medical biz and I have seen some amazing recoveries and some slow exhausting ones, the difference between the two is the outlook you have. People with massive strokes have come back against all odds to gain full mobility, meanwhile there are others who got "stuck in a rut" and didn't follow through with PT and never regained function. Its great that you have a positive outlook, keep it up and that cane wont get much use, I assure you.

Pad,
FYI most rentals are not allowd off road, so you may loose your security deposit when you drop it off :lol: .

I would rather have the cane with a sword inside! That would keep people from crowding you in the water.

Keep it up dude.

Pad,

Unfortunately I’ve never met you, or anyone else on the board for that matter. I would be honored to fish with you in the very near future, when you are able. I find it inspiring to be around positive people. Judging from the character (or characters) of people on this board, I’m sure there are others who would also join in. We may give you the best pool to work! Get well soon.

Tom

You'd be better off with a good hunk of hickory, it is tough and beautiful, it is what my kitchen cabinets are made of.

Back