Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Off topic. Bad Seeds

From LV
New Yorkers. I've never met one I liked, I don't think.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 18:52

From Bozeman
Hmm... now I'm confused.

I thought you were disagreeing with my ideas as to why they act that way... the parents thing, and the public school stuff.

I never said that I'd confront the guy. I'm only like that when I get mad which isn't often. I totally agree with how you handled the situation.

Wrong wavelengths, I guess.

Posted on: 2007/3/16 19:52

From Southeast PA
Very interesting thread with a lot of thoughtful discussion.

Based on what I'm seeing in the Philly news lately, corporal punishment is still present in the schools - it's just the students who are now corporal punishing the teachers. I think there's a lot of truth to what was said about the current youth culture as it relates to demanding respect without earning it, and feeling entitled (or even obliged) to responding to any perceived slight with violence (up to and including "respect by drive-by shooting"). I think that's why the poor teachers are being beaten for trying to impart any degree of discipline. The kids aren't used to it, and they see it as being disrespected to the point that that they are entitled to dishing out their own form of punishment. This is very sad and very scary as it pertains to what we have always referred to as the future of our country (our youth). I'm not sure where it comes from, and I hate to sound like my parents did when I was young and blame it on the hip-hop culture the kids grow up with, but it was somewhat shocking to me when I first started seeing my son and his friends act with much disrespect towards adults, starting at about age 11 or 12. As the product of 12 years of Catholic education (myself, not my son), I can assure you that I did not foster this kind of attitude with him. It just seemed to come from nowhere.

Posted on: 2007/3/17 15:32

From Lehigh Valley, PA
Speaking of dirty looks, when I walked into the Keswick Tavern this evening it seemed like the whole bar was scowling at me. I usually don't get that kind of reaction. Then I realized I was wearing my lucky orange baseball cap and new orange gloves.

Posted on: 2007/3/17 20:28

- Homer J. Simpson

From LV
I think it's a reflection, in part, of how competitive our society has become. I also think parents just aren't teaching their kids good social skills, and allow too much self expression with no lecture about the consequenses. certainly T.V. plays a role, it that it gives kids the idea that violent behavior is ok. Then there is not anyone standing up to these thugs, a lot of feelings are surpressed in our society dispite what people think especially feeling of aggresion, they don't have any outlets.

Posted on: 2007/3/18 14:06

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
150 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com