Off The Couch, Finally

Swattie87

Swattie87

My wife has accurately noted that I've been a little grumpy lately. I'm rather certain a long, cold, snowy winter and a relative lack of fishing are to blame. With the weather forecast today, I knew I had to get out, and had the itch to fish something new. The stream I targeted has been on my list for a year or two, and several times has been my second choice for a given day, but I've just never made it there. It's a rough/steep/remote one and one that I generally would not think is a good idea to do alone, so I met my father in law there mid morning.

We fished a mile or so of the stream, and gained a few hundred feet in elevation while we did. We didn't get into a ton of fish, but did manage to land a few small Browns, and hook/move/spook a few more. Had a nice lunch streamside about halfway through, and it just felt really good to be outside again...without full on snow gear. Water temp was low 40's when we arrived and mid 40's when we left. There were a few intermittent patches of snow still at the bottom of the gulley. We saw a fair amount of what appeared to be BWO's popping, but they didn't drum up any interest from the Browns.

I always find it interesting on these steep streams how little water there actually is in them sometimes once they level out. Compare the amount of water in the picture of the mouth to the amount of the picture of the falls.

Attachments

• 03-22-14 (7) PAFF.jpg
    03-22-14 (7) PAFF.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 03-22-14 (10) PAFF.jpg
    03-22-14 (10) PAFF.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 2
  • 03-22-14 (11) PAFF.jpg
    03-22-14 (11) PAFF.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 03-22-14 (1) PAFF.jpg
    03-22-14 (1) PAFF.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 2
It is amazing how the nature of a stream can change so much in a short distance. Thanks for posting the pics.

It's all geology, many streams at the mouth are running if the floodplain of the receiving stream and the is a lot of sedimentation in the floodplain. In that scenario the bulk of the water is flowing in the substrate, in fact it's been said that 90% of all streams flow in the substrate. But sometimes further upstream the water is all on the surface because it is running on top of the bedrock. this makes it look like there is actually more flow further up, I can assure you that is not the case unless it is a limestone geology. Limestone geology adds another dimension to the equation.
glad to here you got out.

Enjoyed the photos and can empathize with the cabin fever. The Newbie Jam was the first opportunity for me to get out in a long time.

Very cool pics. I'm glad you had a chance to get out. I wish I could have gotten out on Saturday, it was perfect around here.

Back