Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Nymphs

From Washington county
So what are some solid Nymphs? I tend to like Pheasant tail variations, but I would like to open my selection a little more. Also on a normal day, how many of each fly do you carry? How many duplicates I should say.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 14:56

Re: Nymphs

From Shrewsbury, PA
For the last decade, I've been tying and using what I would call BWO nymphs, weighted, un-weighted and CDC soft hackle. they aren't pheasant tails as they contain no pheasant tail material. Ilearned this tie while living and fishing in West Virginia and have made some modications. Most of BWO nymphs I use are size 20 and smaller as most streams I fish have several hatches of BWO type mayflies and based on my experience, the fish see more smaller bugs throughout the year instead of the larger type.

I use a variety of feathers for tails. Abdomen is either a brown-olive or gray tying thread and thorax is either brown-olive superfine dubbing or adams gray dubbing. On samller flies, I don't tie in a wing case, but if I do here's what I do.

I tie in the tail and instead of cutting the feathers, I tie them into the body of the hook all the way to the eye. I'll dub the thorax and then fold the feathers back over the dubbed thorax to the abdomen and whip finish. The method never crowds the eye and remember the abdomen is tying thread.

I catch more fish with these small nymphs than any others I tie (and I tie all the standard types) and on many different types of streams throughtout the Eastern US.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 15:37

From Banshee
Here's what I did today. I searched on you tube for a BWO nymph and found a couple. I chose one that had a bead head, pheasant tail. pheasant body with wire rib. and peacock herl thorax. (seemed very similar to what I call a pheasant tail) I tied a half dozen of these and when out and caught 2 native browns (4-5 inchers) on them/ Nice day overall.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 20:07

From Lewistown, PA
I use a caddis pupa/scud pattern called a czech mate. Sinks quickly, and seems to catch fish. Also maybe try a green weenie. Lol. They look ridiculous, but I would've gotten skunked today if I hadn't switched out my scud pattern for a green weenie.

Pheasant tails, hare's ears, and prince nymphs are classics.

I always carry at least 8 of my favorites in different sizes because I lose so many to trees and submerged logs!

Posted on: 2013/3/10 20:20

"I tied a half dozen of these and when out and caught 2 native browns (4-5 inchers) on them/ Nice day overall."

laszlo, browns are not native to the U.S. They come form germany. The only native species of trout to PA is the Brook Trout, which is actually a char.

Posted on: 2013/3/10 21:04

From Lewistown, PA
Quote:

InTheMend wrote:
"I tied a half dozen of these and when out and caught 2 native browns (4-5 inchers) on them/ Nice day overall."

laszlo, browns are not native to the U.S. They come form germany. The only native species of trout to PA is the Brook Trout, which is actually a char.

You have the same avatar as laszlo! I thought he was correcting himself for a second...

Posted on: 2013/3/10 21:10

From Butler, Pa
1. casual dress
2. beadhead flashback pheasant tail
3. soft hackle peacock
4. hares ear black olive tan
5. split wing nymph
6. quill gordons
7. sulphurs
8. biot nymph
9. prince nymph
10. light cahill or hendrickson

those 10 are my most tied id say and each one has had its fish after fish days, and theyre not in order of what i would reccomend there all solid

Posted on: 2013/3/10 23:10

From State College
On spring creeks I would say a sowbug is my first go to, followed by a scud pattern.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 0:21

From Portage, PA
I think the BHPT is the most versatile fly ever. I catch trout on it no matter what stream I am on. I was using size 14 BHPT on Elk Creek in Erie and had over 15 hookups on that pattern a lone.

I enjoy tying the BHPT with different bead colors, some with different color wire ribbing. My best luck comes from just a simple pheasant tail with no wire ribbing just pheasant tail fibers tied into the tail. Then wrapped up the shank, and tied off, wrap in 2 strands of peacock, then wrap the same pheasant tail fibers up over the peacock. Saves time and material never cutting the fibers. They do not last as long withought the wire ribbing how ever.

I would say you best nymphs would be caddis larva patterns. They can be very simple to tie.

I try to keep at lest 4 of my go to nymphs from size 12-18 in my box at all times.

BHPT
BHHE
BH prince nymph
BH copper john
BH caddis larva

Posted on: 2013/3/11 7:03

From Banshee
My bad, I stand corrected on those browns, what I meant to say was wild. Now if I can only figure out how make a picture avatar I would show off some of those nati___ I mean wild browns

Posted on: 2013/3/11 20:18

From Phoenixville Pa
Zebra midge, I carry at least 4 an outing. If I loose any I tie more.

Posted on: 2013/3/11 21:21

From Dauphin PA
You just can't go wrong with a PT. I have an entire box dedicated to them. #12-#18. I'd guess that I would have at least a dozen of each size at any given time. Since the PT.pretty much matches almost every hatch, you won't need many others to catch fish. I'll carry some smaller dark nymphs for when smaller mayflies are coming off. Someone mentioned prince nymphs and they are a good attention getter for certain waters. The other must have is caddis larva in various shades of green. I keep a good half dozen in sizes #12-#18. Depending on the stream you fish, there are a few specific patterns you may want to include. Hatch specific nymphs like march browns, ISO, drakes (green or brown). Nymphs with a yellowish tone can be effective if the fish get keyed into the color when sulphurs are in full swing. Any stones on your river? If so, not a bad idea to toss a few in the box. Early season I'll use a 3 fly rig of golden stone, PT in 2 sizes or maybe a prince to round it out. Figure out what hatches in your stream, match the general size / color and you will put fish in the net. It's more important to correctly read the water and get the flies to float drag free at the proper depth. Don't make it harder than it has to be. Fish have a small brain.

Posted on: 2013/3/14 18:57

From Chester County
Quote:

krayfish wrote:
You just can't go wrong with a PT. I have an entire box dedicated to them. #12-#18. I'd guess that I would have at least a dozen of each size at any given time. Since the PT.pretty much matches almost every hatch, you won't need many others to catch fish. I'll carry some smaller dark nymphs for when smaller mayflies are coming off. Someone mentioned prince nymphs and they are a good attention getter for certain waters. The other must have is caddis larva in various shades of green. I keep a good half dozen in sizes #12-#18. Depending on the stream you fish, there are a few specific patterns you may want to include. Hatch specific nymphs like march browns, ISO, drakes (green or brown). Nymphs with a yellowish tone can be effective if the fish get keyed into the color when sulphurs are in full swing. Any stones on your river? If so, not a bad idea to toss a few in the box. Early season I'll use a 3 fly rig of golden stone, PT in 2 sizes or maybe a prince to round it out. Figure out what hatches in your stream, match the general size / color and you will put fish in the net. It's more important to correctly read the water and get the flies to float drag free at the proper depth. Don't make it harder than it has to be. Fish have a small brain.

Great approach to fly patterns by Kray. I use a HE or a PT as my core nymph in a two fly rig and maybe add a hatch matcher or an attractor type nymph. As Kray says, drift that drag-free past the nose of a trout and hang on!

Posted on: 2013/3/15 7:01

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
yep hare's ear and PT nymphs

Attach file:

jpg  Image00001.jpg (67.74 KB)
112_514310b5d249c.jpg 400X300 px

jpg  Image00004.jpg (63.23 KB)
112_514310c1cfa19.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2013/3/15 8:15

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From South Jersey
If I found that box along a stream I am not sure i would look too hard for the owner. Nice ties!!

Posted on: 2013/3/15 11:54

Salmo

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com