NY salmon

wetboot

wetboot

me and a buddy are gonna make up to NY this year and try for salmon....not asking for spots just some info would be great...like some tribs to start looking into when to go...was gonna take my 8wt switch thanks

As far as I've heard pretty much any ontario trib. Start studying the google maps.

yea thats what i hear im jus trying to figure out when it would b best to make a trip

The Salmon River in Pulaski, NY is an obvious choice. Last year's run was epic but so were the crowds. (The only time in my life when I can truly say that I caught fish 'til my arms ached.) You can get some relief by paying to fish on the DSR or else going during the week. Another choice is Oak Orchard, west of Rochester. I've never fished it but it has a decent Salmon run and and great brown trout run in October. I've heard from different sources that it's (a) more crowded than the Salmon River or (b) less crowded so take your pick on that. There are salmon in nearly every trib going into Lake Ontario. The problem is knowing where the access is and when to go. You could invest in a guide for a day or so to get the lay of the land before striking out on your own. Another issue is that flow in the tribs is controlled by the amount or precipitation they get. This in turn controls when the fish come into the stream. The flow in the Salmon River is controlled by a dam and is a bit more reliable predictor of when fresh fish will move into the river.

Here's a good thread on the topic from last year.

Salmon River

for where your located and driving wise i'd maybe make a weekend of the Niagara, oak orchard and if you wanna get away from people start looking at the smaller water in between. heck if you get to the point of being ready to go gimme a shout, i'd be down to go do some exploring.

Sending you a PM

I'm probably going to Salmon river in September and early October this year.

Switch rod on the Salmon River? Enjoy that.

If you want to fish the prime time,mid Sept to mid Oct,you better make plans soon and book a room now if you can.

Depending on what tribs you go to, a single hand rod might be a better choice since some tribs are more like creeks than rivers.

If you do choose to go to the salmon river, prepare yourself for crowds and you will most likely have to walk a little ways to have room to spey cast. It can be done and it can be quite enjoyable, but don't expect to have a run to yourself for very long. Nothing like a king or coho smashing a swung fly!!

I use an 11.5', 8 wt switch rod on the Oak and the Salmon Rivers. No problems with using that rod, however, like was mentioned before, finding room to swing flies can be problematic. But it can be done. You can always use it as a single handed rod and bottom bounce. Don't count on using it on any of the smaller tribs. Good luck when you go. BTW the brown in my avatar was caught with the switch.

I plan to get to New York to fish the Ontario Tribs. Late Oct.Early nov.I was thinking about putting out a post to see about interest in this.
Thoughts?
GG

Its only a five hour drive for me. I can start at midnight and arrive just before sunrise...fish all day and drive back - get home about 11:00 p.m. If anyone is really interested in getting a workout - we can alternate being a netter. "Snaggers need not respond".

Also if you go and spend the night in a tent you should make sure you get one that has an electric outlet. Having a heater makes a big difference in getting a good night's sleep.

NY salmon/trout fishing is a blast, period. Started going about 10 years ago, haven't missed one since, sometimes we go 3 or 4 times a season. You will enjoy it.

Lots of variables up there, big/small water, flow, what species are in at each time of fall, and crowds. But usually if you nose around enough you can solve any of these situations.

Bottom line is, there is a lot of water there and there will always be fish in somewhere, especially salmon. We have been going all those years and STILL haven't fished all the spots I would like to. Great place if you are into exploration, as there are lots of steams. Sometimes they are a bust, other times you hit gold, that is the risk you take. Of course Burt and Oak ALWAYS have fish, just comes with the crowds.

And don't forget if you are going early for the salmon, be ready for big browns too. For whatever reason, most of the really big browns we have caught are in the early season. The numbers are better later in fall, but it seems like the true monsters are in there early.

i use a 14ft DH rod on small creeks for Salmon in Ireland - not to cast long but to stop the fish running. as long as you have 3ft behind you, you should be able to double spey

My view is that the Salmon R is the most reliable - from mid September through mid May you can be pretty sure that something will be in, high water or low. That is why the crowds are there as well. Plus it is easy to find info on the Salmon. There aren't any secret spots on the Salmon. I guess that's the same for the Niagara, but it is so big it is intimidating to me.

The smaller tribs all have fish and are a blast. First issue is that you need good water levels for them to fish well. Too high or too low and it is tough and the fish will run back out if conditions aren't right. Also, the smaller the trib the harder it is to find information about it. Sound like native brookie fishing? Therefore, generally need to do some exploring on the smaller water. That takes time, but it is something most people don't do and you may find a hole with a pod of fish in all to yourself. However, on occasion if the word goes out a bunch of locals can crowd a hole as well. Some tribs coming off the Tug Hill Plateau look like mountain brookie streams. Catching 10 lbs fish in a stream where a 10 incher is usually considered a big fish can be a riot - if you catch it.

You know there will be fish in the Salmon - but so does everyone else. The smaller tribs take more work to uncover, but have their own rewards and less crowds.

GULFGREY

if your thinking close to turkey day I could do 2 days up there. I'd be down with a trip like say NOV 23.

let me know.

i go to pulaski and yes last years run was EPIC. if you go consider fishing thr Douglas Salmon Run, it is a pay access area but it is the first 2.5 miles of the river and the fish are fresher, havent seen tons of flies thrown at them and the crowds are half. the rest of the river will be crowded, go on you tube and look up town pool and u will see. the prime holes will have guys sitting in them by 4:30 in the morning. im going last week of september. Best fishing for salmon up there is last 2 weeks of Sept and the First 2 Weeks of october. Steelhead start coming in around late the first week of October. Look for a room now if you are going to stay the night as they will be hard to come by

thanks for all the info fellas...lots of stuff here...will probly fish smaller creeks jus cause i cant stand being in a zoo...as for rooms i plan on camping or sleeping in the truck...egg patterns?

Back