Not going there again

D

dryflyklesse

Went to the fly shop in Hancock by on the upper Delaware river and I will never go back there. Walked in guys behind the desk never even acknowledged that we were there. Didn't even say hello when we walked in the door. Then waited at the register and after 5 minute "oh I guess your ready". Big disappointment from that place. Ill drive way out of my way to go to Roseco where people actually care about their customers

dryflyklesse wrote:
Went to the fly shop in Hancock by on the upper Delaware river and I will never go back there. Walked in guys behind the desk never even acknowledged that we were there. Didn't even say hello when we walked in the door. Then waited at the register and after 5 minute "oh I guess your ready". Big disappointment from that place. Ill drive way out of my way to go to Roseco where people actually care about their customers

Sorry to hear that. Coz @ Border Waters is a great guy and runs a really good shop. At this time of year, I'm sure Coz was on the water. I wouldn't let let one tool working there sour completely. Now if you asked him "How's the fishin" or "what's hatchin" and he ignored you....I'm with you.

Ha the personality he had I'm sure if I asked he would have said there's a white board right behind you read that. But things did get better after we left there a guide setting out wit two clients I'm not sure which shop he was from have some good advice to us while we were on the west branch

Younger guy or older guy?

dryflyklesse wrote:
Ha the personality he had I'm sure if I asked he would have said there's a white board right behind you read that. But things did get better after we left there a guide setting out wit two clients I'm not sure which shop he was from have some good advice to us while we were on the west branch

A guy like that has no business working in a fly shop...he should be working at McDonalds (flipping burgers and making fries-in the back!)

email or call the owner. he deserves the feedback imho.

DFK,

You could be talking about two different shops that come to mind. Going with everyone else's assumption, you should email the owner unless it was the owner that upset you. I'll shoot ya a PM. You describe the guy and I'll know who it is. I'm also curious which guide helped you out. I'll be there Monday and will probably talk to one of the guides tomorrow. He's trying to get Wednesday off to fish with us. If people aren't happy, they need to know. I'm not shy and won't hesitate to speak my mind to them. If you go to other shops, don't expect much difference. I can think of one shop where you'll ask "wher can I find some trout" and the response probably will be "in the F'n water". A good angler / guide / businessman doesn't equal a good personality unfortunately. Bart at the DRC is an awesome guy. Coz is great, Dennis at Catskill Flies is one of my favorites. Everyone is entitled to a bad day. Don't let that crap bother ya or detract from your fishing experience.

There is a guy that I've encountered working at BWO that has no business being behind that counter. I'm betting it is the same guy.

Last time I was there, I hoped to talk a bit about options for the day. He was on the phone (clearly a personal call). He asked the person to hold when he noticed me waiting to speak to him, and when I asked about patterns and places to hit the water, he pointed at the white board on the wall and went back to his call.

Nice, eh?

I try to give shops (and any business for that matter) two attempts to earn my business. As has been stated, sometimes people just have a bad day. I try to be understanding of that. Who knows what is going on in someone's life. If after two visits to a shop, I still get poor treatment then I take my business elsewhere.

Only one time did I leave a shop without purchasing what I had intended to buy due to poor service. That shop, Cutthroat Anglers in Colorado, had a young man who basically treated me as if I knew jack crap about flyfishing. The irony was that I have probaly flyfished for more years than he was alive and I am just entering middle age.

If after a few days it is still bugging you, I say call the owner. I just try to not let people's inconsiderate attitudes ruin my precious few days on the water.

I have seen this too often. Fly shops with owners/employees that are are not people oriented. They normally don't last long in business and then complain about people not supporting their shops. On a postive note....The shops with people who know how to treat customers well are left standing and seem to be doing well.

Ron

krayfish wrote:

I can think of one shop where you'll ask "wher can I find some trout" and the response probably will be "in the F'n water". = Dennis at Catskill Flies.

Fixed your post. LOL. In all seriousness, you gotta kind of warn people about Dennises hours (whenever he wants), attitude, etc. Once you understand what you are dealing with (NY #censor#) you will pick up a lot of valuable information AND he has some of the best damn hand tied flies I have ever seen.

DFK, I would suggest naming the shop. Because failing to do so has resulted in guessing which shop it is and potentially causing ill will for shops that have done no wrong.

Reminds me of the time I walked into a local lumber store. It was only my second time in there ( I was new to the neighborhood). One of the employees says to me from a distance, "shouldn't you be at Walmart?"

WTF?

I turned around fast enough to see his huge grin turn to a completely stunned look. AWKWARD! At that point I was the one grinning when I realized (or assumed) that he must have mistaken me for somebody he actually knew. I'll admit that for an instant I felt stunned and insulted, but that look on his face was priceless so I shrugged it off and bought some things. He actually turned out to be quite helpful (after I gave him an appropriate amount of grief) I am a fairly regular customer now but I usually try to get one of the women to wait on me.

It seems like the Beaverkill Angler doesn't get enough credit, maybe because it was almost exclusively an orvis dealer for bit, though not the kind where it's mainly clothing, but that shop is great.

It's located in roscoe, across from catskill flies. They just revamped the store and carry many more brands, but also have an amazing fly tying selection now, too.

When you walked into the store, did you say anything? Sometimes you as the customer need to say hello first. Sometimes I enter shops and the employees are to eager to assist in removing my money.

I can't understand why someone has to quote someones post when they are directly following?

I think I'm having a bad day. I need to go home and sleep it off.

PennypackFlyer wrote:

I can't understand why someone has to quote someones post when they are directly following?

Nobody ever "HAS TO" use quotes, but I don't know why it would bother anyone when they do. I can think of a few reasons why one might use quotes in this scenario.

1. Sometimes by the time you hit submit, someone else has responded so without the quote, it looks like you are responding to the latest Once you submit, it is a pain in the *** to go back and add the quote using the edit feature to clarify who you are addressing.

2. Maybe you are only commenting on one point (not quoting the whole thing).

C. I have had times where I have responded to a message only to find that the original message had been edited sometime between the time I started typing and actually hit submit.

I would use quotes, but can't figure out how to do it.........

ha ha... my "local shop" well that's a fun story. here in jamestown there's a sportsnman's store locally owned and operated. it's funny how them and i work, at first i didnt even get the ussual how ya doing, eventually i had to make him come out form behind the counter for service. now i will admit they are for the most part a gun shop, though they are an orvis dealer and have a decent supply of tying materials, some what i guess.

when i broke my first fly rod, i went to them and he sold me a 8/9 ugly stick. took it out fished it for maybe a half hr, drove directily back and asked if i could return it and have store credit toward a clearwater combo. and the answer was it's used, and no returns. i was p*ssed, and it was a good month until i went back in out of need and he was far more freindly this time, still not great service but i think he realized he really set me off. and now i can go in and talk to him but i'm still pretty jadded by that and the aspect that he's too cheap to throw out over 2 years expired leaders and tippet and bring in some fresh stuff...

i expect bad service from big box stores, not from a local business. it sucks.

I think it was the fact we were not outfitted in orvis shirts apparently the "trout bum" fly fishermen were not welcomed there haha either way poor experience and ill just go else were especially when I can get the same flies tied by the same person that they had there for half the price! Oh well fishing was still good and love the Delaware river

I just got back from the Big D and had the same situation with the same shop. It is not good for a employee to have a attitude like that. There are plenty of places that will take my money and I will do so accordingly. I am sure the owner already knows and if not will after these posts.

Back