Northern Utah

1fish

1fish

Took a trip last week to fish in Northern Utah. I picked my cousin up from the airport in SLC, Monday around noon , then headed to fish a tailwater a couple of hours away. We fished there Monday afternoon and most of the next day, before heading to Flaming Gorge. Caught quite a few fish in the 18 to 20 plus inch range, stripping and dead drifting Flashabuggers. Caught mostly browns, but I did pick up a nice thick Cutthroat, that went 20 plus inches. Most of the browns while not exactly skinny, were definitely more streamlined.

Headed to Flaming Gorge Tuesday evening to fish the Green for a few days. We wade fished the lower A section Wednesday and the upper B section Thursday. Caught some fish, but not a ton. All were quality thick fish in the 16/18 inch range. Most were caught on a Cicada, and a few on Flashabuggers and BH prince nymphs.

Headed back to the 1st tailwater Friday afternoon and caught quite a few on a variety of flies. Caught many on a BH prince nymph, some on a Flashabugger, and some on a Cicada and EHC.

Didn’t take many pictures and took hardly any fish pictures, but here’s a few. If my cousin sends some of the pictures he took soon, I’ll post some of those as well.

strawberry.jpg
[/url][/img]

overhang.jpg
[/url][/img]

My cousin with a brown.

willbrown.jpg
[/url][/img]

Green River

green1.jpg
[/url][/img]

Some bad fish pictures

greenrainbow-1.jpg
[/url][/img]

greenbrown.jpg
[/url][/img]

green2.jpg
[/url][/img]

Awesome!

"Some bad fish pictures" NOT! Awesome scenery and sounds like good fishing. Nice write up.

Wonderful stuff. Great fish and classic Utah scenery that never gets old = awesome trip. I'm going to miss that state, but I'm definitely going to have to get up north one of these times to hit the Provo, Strawberry and the Green rivers. It's a whole other world up where you guys were.

A few more pictures my cousin took.

pinnacle.jpg

dinner.jpg

brown-1.jpg

rainbow.jpg

green.jpg

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. Its posts like this that get me through times like now when I'm stuck indoors studying.

Didn't have trouble with high water at all? I was considering putting off 3rd week in June over concern for run off ruining fishing. Didn't see a lick of snow in any of your pictures. My bother and I have been wanting to get up into the Uintas for a couple years now, running out of excuses (and years). Any advice, words of wisdom?

No, we centered our trip around two tailwaters. I was a little concerned they were going to raise the flows below Flaming Gorge, but they held it steady at around 850 cfs, which is low for this time of year. They are suppose to raise the flows starting this Friday evening to 1600 and then to 4600 over the next few days following. The middle of June, they are going to raise the flows to 8600 cfs for two weeks, to flush the river of silt.

Most of where we fished was below 7000 feet. There were a few patches of snow here and there at 7000 feet, but not much. Up on the mountain peaks there was still plenty of snow. I’d say above 9000 feet was still snow bound.

The only advice or wisdom that I can give you is, just do a little research and you’ll be able to find a place to fish, no matter the time of year or conditions. There are plenty of tailwaters in the area. If you are looking to fish a specific place like Flaming Gorge, you may want to wait till sometime in mid to late July. It’s really amazing country and well worth the visit.

Back