Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

New Zealand Mud Snails and felt sole boots

From Hershey, PA
One way to help eliminate the spread of New Zealand Mud Snails and other invasive species is for PA to prohibit felt soles on wading boots. Many states have been proactive and done this in the past several years. Perhaps it's time for PA to join the movement to prevent the spread.

Posted on: 12/21 11:01

Re: New Zealand Mud Snails and felt sole boots
From Monessen, PA
Will it be enough?

Can you send me a new set of boots?

Posted on: 12/21 11:07

From philadelphia
I always think this logic is idiotic. If you let felt dry it poses no more danger than ,say, the laces on rubber soled boots.

I do remember in the 90's when people had felt sole panic.

Posted on: 12/21 13:35

From Monessen, PA
How about the invasives that stick to your legs, from ankle to knee? Are they big enough to see on your soles/souls? then knock them off. If not, then you'd better be soaking your entire wader-- or at least so much as is below the low water mark.

Posted on: 12/21 13:40

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
a lot of states are dropping that because they have found no substantial evidence to support the fact.

Posted on: 12/21 16:30

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

And maybe they should prohibit spring creek ducks from flying to other waterways. How about prohibiting flies that are fished on the bottom and aren't frozen, boiled or de-greased before fishing elsewhere?

Seriously - anyone have any idea where this came from?
Just read about a guy from colorado that wants to start a professional fly fishing tour like bassmaster. Worried that Spring crk might be on their list to fish - like other competitions. Who knows who brings what to the PA creeks - do they have the same concerns for the fishery that residents have? Are there more invasive organisms coming here in the future? (probably - regardless of the level of concern)

Posted on: 12/21 16:55

From down the block from the Letort.
Quote:
And maybe they should prohibit spring creek ducks from flying to other waterways. How about prohibiting flies that are fished on the bottom and aren't frozen, boiled or de-greased before fishing elsewhere?

Strawman argument, ducks don't have a choice, we do.

Why not make the small effort to do what we can to preserve the resource vs doing nothing?

Posted on: 12/21 17:07

From Dauphin PA
Knee-jerk reaction at its finest. Each angler is responsible for making sure they don't spread invasive species. My personal thought is that there are dozens if not hundreds of infected waters in the commonwealth....they just haveny bee identified / recorded. Rather than ban felt soles which is a pointless gesture, close the waterway to all fishing and boating. That will be more effective than banning boot soles.

It's the same weak argument that is used for gun control. Take the guns and there won't be any murders. The only minor oversight is the people doing the murdering aren't typically legal gun owners.

To respond to tomi's post........."why not make the small effort?". That effort is the responsibility on the lunkhead wearing the gear. Check your own gear, wash your own gear or dry it for a month between trips like I do. I don't need 'big brother' to remind me to wipe my arse. As an adult, I can do it all by myself.

Posted on: 12/21 17:15

From SE Pa
One reason I don't join groups that advocate for the environment is the great many knee jerk reactions to hyper inflated Eco threats. Banning felt soles is nothing more then making people feel like they did something. No it's not better then nothing. It's worse then nothing because what it does is make people sit on their hands and say "well at least we did something."

I also believe that conservation has to be in balance with quality of life. In other words if your not living in a cave, making clothing from animal skins, fishing with a pointed stick, and walking barefoot to work then I don't want to hear about how the sky is falling because of gasoline, air conditioning, and all the creature comforts (like say graphite rods, cast aluminum reels, some kind of plastic fly line, etc) that we all enjoy.

Posted on: 12/21 18:03

From Hershey, PA
I'm always shocked on this board by the number of "flyfishermen" who will offer literally any excuse or reason to circumvent statistical evidence on certain issues. Send me new boots, felt is not the only carrier, or basically it's too much trouble. MD, VT, New Zealand, many others and TU have either banned felt sole or advised against them. A recent quote from New Zealand, "Felt soled waders are believed to be an important vector in the spreading of microscopic aquatic pests, including didymo. Restricting their use may well inconvenience some people in the short term, but the potential benefit – decreasing the further spread of these pests, is surely worthwhile." My fishing days are drawing to a close but Good Luck to those whose future may be impacted by the don't give a damn attitude of some.

Posted on: 12/23 16:38

From NW Penna
"Felt soled waders are believed to be an important vector in the spreading of microscopic aquatic pests,

Many people "believe" in Bigfoot too.

Where's the science ??

Posted on: 12/23 18:53

From Dauphin PA
Hey, look at that.....common sense.

For those that believe in global warming and felt soles being the reason for blah-blah, why isn't your displeasure directed at the manufacturer? Maybe someone can craft a suit aagainst Simms, Chota, Patagonia, William Joseph and others for the spread of rock snot. I'd have to think that pressure from the consumer as well as data returned from studies has given the boot companies the green light to put the felts back in production. The only thing that upsets me is that it's nearly impossible to find felts with studs built into the soles anymore.

Do grass carp stick to felts? If so, guilty!

Posted on: 12/23 23:38

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Stop the birds and animals from poop'n in the waterways. I guess they don't carry the problem...? Stop all boating traffic from going from one watershed to another. Then we can talk about how felt soles were just fine on boots for how many decades and are now the reason for the spread of this. I agree that there should be something done but, why is it what was just fine for 40 plus years, now the trouble? I would imagine a lot of people not being able to go fishing until they can float a 2nd mortgage and get the new and improved boots. Don't worry, just about the time we all have the new ones it'll be found that they carry some funky fungus also and then there will be a newer better anti funky fungal boot for us to buy to save the day. Commercial shipping brought this all on? Now it's up to the lowly fisherman to stem the tide. Little like closing the barn door after the critters have run out already. What about the kids swimming in the dozen creeks throughout a given area of watersheds that are wearing cutoffs with this crap in there pockets and seams of the old jeans. Tell me the new boots will stop the problem... It won't. It may slow it a bit but it won't stop it. That barn door was left open a long time ago. Clean you're boots in the prescribed manner, be it the new anti fungal or the old felts. The new ones will be out dated eventually too.

Oh, Merry Christmas to all! And to all a good Mud Snail.

Posted on: 12/24 8:11

Edited by FiveWeight on 2013/12/24 8:29:07

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From Lancaster County
While I believe that banning felt soles is indeed a knee-jerk reaction to a much larger problem, in that it probably only eliminates a small percentage of an invasive attack vector on our streams, it is still important to take a look at all possible ways that invasives spread. My current batch of wading boots are all rubber soled, but, it would be extremely ignorant of me to not be concerned about invasives tagging along. There are many nooks and crannies on the boots where some mud snails could get caught and hitch-hike from one drainage to another. I do fish Spring Creek and it would be irresponsible for me to do any amount of wading there, and then hop over to a small mountain freestoner and fish there, without doing something to try and make sure my gear is as clean as it could be.

Sometimes, you don't need science to show you the proof. Sometimes, common sense is all you need, to know that you COULD be a carrier for invasive, meaning it's possible that they do hitch-hike on your gear, be they felt soles, rubber soles, or bare feet. I think felt soles are a lower threat to spread mud snails, then they are something like didymo.

As noted, the spread of invasives occurs over a much larger attack vector than fishing gear, and the use of a bilge pump to empty a bilge can be responsible for transporting an invasive from one continent to another. However, we, as anglers, can have a much more localized effect, by transporting invasives from one drainage to another. Ultimately, I am pessimistic that we will ever control the spread of invasive species, because there are much larger factors that influence their spread than us anglers. But we can still do our small part to help slow their spread. Just because we can't control the ducks or geese, or the water in bilges doesn't mean we get a free pass to not take a look at our own boats or waders or boots.

Posted on: 12/24 11:27

From Monessen, PA
So regulate my exhaust pipe and let the steel mills pump soot into the air? My objection is that anyone thinks that banning felt soled wading shoes will make a difference. We already know to clean them when moving between waters. This makes us who use them no worse than someone wearing rubber.

Posted on: 12/24 14:02

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com