New to steelheading and need help

W

Wmass

So this is my first year fishing for steelhead in Ohio and I feel lost. I usually fish the chagrin or rocky rivers. I have tried swinging large streamers and eggs, as well as bottom bouncing eggs and nymph. I had one hook up in the fall and that's it. Needs to know some good techniques and good rigs? Also what size patterns to use?

Are you normally successful at nymphing for trout?? If so, same technique. Make sure you have a good drag free drift and drift your flies right along the bottom.

Assuming you have the technique down, cover water. Unlike PA, most of the time you won't be able to see the fish unless it is super low and clear or they're spawning. If you've fished a hole/run for a while and haven't gotten any hits on different types of flies, move. There may be no fish in the entire hole. The next day it could be stacked though.

As for flies and sizes, my main sizes are usually 12 and 14. Generic nymphs( I like beadheads) and eggs(glo bugs, sucker spawn, etc.). I like smaller streamers in size 10 too for nymphing. Once you've found fish they really aren't picky, you just gotta have that drag free drift. I don't really have much experience "swinging" streamers for steel, except for a tad bit on the PA tribs but it was mostly just letting my fly swing at the end of a drift, nothing like the OH tribs. If you cover water I'm sure you'll eventually swing one up.

You have to be willing to move, but once you find fish then stay put. Get plenty of lead. Some of those holes can be pretty deep and if you're not down far enough you won't get any willing participants. Learn to high stick if you're not already. I have a lot of success with basic nymphs like hares ears and princes as well as eggs. Egg color in order of success for me is egg/cream with a salmon dot, salmon, blue with pink dot, blood red, and a few others mixed in. I've also done well the last few years with egg sucking leeches. Just a black zonker with an orange bead head. Simple tie if you do tie.

Keep at it. I've seen people go up a half a dozen times before they catch fish, but it's never a game you "figure out". I consider myself a good steelhead fisherman and typically catch more than most of my buddies (that's not always saying much), but there are days I'm dumbfounded up there.

You need heavy split shot especially if you are fishing the grand in Ohio if it is up and moving. I am talking about splits the size of small marbles. You want it moving slow just ticking the bottom. I was used to fishing PA where you use bb sized splits. The Grand is an entirely different animal. If you don't have enough weight to slow your fly down and get the depth your fly will blow right over the fish's heads. I use caddis patterns, meth heads, black and golden stones, egg patterns and minnow patterns for steelhead in OH, PA and NY. You have to carry a lot of different patterns in different colors. The fish can change up what they are hitting on day to day even hour to hour. Once you find fish and key in on what colors they want you should be able to hook and land some fish.

Big black bunny leech with a hot spot fore or aft has been money for me the last three trips down.
Get it down and swing it slow.
If you're not confident fishing deeper water, concentrate your fishing at the head and tailout of pools.

Back