New to Forum. Hello Everyone!

C

Chris2P

Hello everyone!

I found this website about a month ago and I've been reading the forums every spare minute in my day. What a great bunch of fisherman and a wealth of information! I have not been fly fishing for trout that much over the past 10 years but I have recently rediscovered my old passion (waterfowling and saltwater fishing pulled me away for a decade:)). I starting fly fishing back in the early 90's and I remember the first day I walked into an Orvis store. I was bait fishing for trout that morning using juicey fresh worms that usually produce my limit. But on that day all the fish were on top of the water eating bugs! I was a total newbie and asked the guy next to me what the heck was going on, never saw fish do "that" before. He told me that's what trout eat and if I wanted to catch them now (it was late May) I would need a fly rod.LOL So off I went to the Orvis store in center city Philadelphia. After a hefty credit card bill of fly fishing stuff ( I didnt even have waders back then) I left that store armed to the gills to get my limit. And that glorious month I was catching trout like crazy. Back then was pre - internet so all my information came from that Orvis store. And you know how it goes: verbal information to purchasing books, to taking fly casting lessons to buying the fly tying kit after the horror of loosing 30 bucks worth of flies on the stream caused by one caffeine jitter and shake at the wrong time:) And then spending money on the genetic hackle after outgrowing the kit material in one month. Oh yeah and the fly tying lessons! Then learning about conservation and trying to explain to the wife that I'm now "releasing" my fish despite blowing a grand on fishing gear! LOL That first year of fly fishing was transformational, I never had such a strong passion before and that passion just grew. It feels really great to come back to trout fishing. And one of my favorite streams is Valley Creek in Valley Forge. But what makes coming back to this sport even better is the internet and a forum like this where people can share their passion and experience!

If you got this far, thank you for listening to my long winded story:)

Chris

Welcome Chris. Let me personally invite you to our Fish N Chips event. Saturday, July 27th at the Little Lehigh. If interested, check out the thread in the events forum.

BTW, great story and I didn't mind reading a line of it.

Fox :-D

Welcome Chris. I read it with interest also. But, Fox, we have a problem.....another Valley guy. That stream is doomed!!!!! If you had been on here for the last few years, Chris, you would know I say that with tongue firmly implanted in cheek!!!!! Hopefully, we'll see there one day soon.

Welcome. There are all types here. But alot of experience anyway. Have a thick skin and jump right in. I look forward to your input.

Welcome aboard Chris.

Thanks for the welcome guys! Fox, I saw that post, my fishing buddy and I have a fishing trip to south central pa that weekend, if the trip is delayed due to weather I might be able to make it up there on short notice. Eng, when i started fly fishing I lived 5 minutes from that stream. We had an apartment in the Valley Towers right behind the mall. I was really sad to move out of there!

Welcome, and tight lines.

Great read Chris, welcome!!

Great post and Welcome to the Jungle!

Welcome aboard. GG

Back