New State Forest Maps

T

troutbert

There are some new (re-designed) state forest maps with a different type of design. I think they are pretty good, a significant improvement.

The ones I've seen with the new design are Elk State Forest, Bald Eagle SF, and Loyalsock SF. There may be others.

These maps are great for exploring streams, and they are free.

To order a particular state forest map, Google the name of the state forest, call their office and request it. Their hours are typically M-F 8-4.

troutbert wrote:
There are some new (re-designed) state forest maps with a different type of design. I think they are pretty good, a significant improvement.

The ones I've seen with the new design are Elk State Forest, Bald Eagle SF, and Loyalsock SF. There may be others.

To order a particular state forest map, Google the name of the state forest, call their office and request it. Their hours are typically M-F 8-4.

Can you expand on the improvements?

BTW this subject may be of interest and close enough on topic to be included in the general forum?

franklin wrote:
troutbert wrote:

Can you expand on the improvements?

BTW this subject may be of interest and close enough on topic to be included in the general forum?

If a moderator sees this and would move it to the general forum, that would be great.

The new maps are just much easier to read. The stream lines are heavier and darker, so stand out better. Both the stream and road label type is larger and darker, so easier to read. The lines showing roads and trails also stand out better.

They make better use of tints. On the old Bald Eagle State Forest map, the green tint that indicated SF land was much too dark, which obscured everything: roads, streams, type, etc.

In the new map, the green tint is light in color, as it should be. So the stream and road lines, and the type are much more legible against the background.

The much greater legibility is particularly helpful when the light is poor and/or if your eyes don't work as well as they did 30 years ago.

The more I look at these maps, the more I'm impressed. The graphic design is very good.

I haven't checked the new maps for accuracy yet. That's important too of course!

Are the maps that are available online the same as the new print maps? Trails and streams seem more distinct on the Loyalsock PDF but the I also know that the last time I had a print map of that area, it was the Wyoming SF.

salmonoid wrote:
Are the maps that are available online the same as the new print maps? Trails and streams seem more distinct on the Loyalsock PDF but the I also know that the last time I had a print map of that area, it was the Wyoming SF.

I just checked the Loyalsock PDF map online. That map and the new paper are the same.

That's nice to hear.
I never cared much for the old state forest maps. They were kinda hard to read, and not very accurate IMO. The PA delorme was a much better guide

yeah, I picked up a couple of the new ones when camping at Lyman Run S.P. a few weeks back. The map itself is the same, but easier to read and pick out the details, a nice improvement.

Just looked over the new one for BESF. Looks like some new trails that can be used to access some brookie streams. Have to check them out.

I've been using the new Forbes State Forest map for a few months now. It is a great map to use as an overview of the entire Laurel Highlands. Another nice thing about the new Forbes map is that more of the smaller streams are labeled. I am not sure if this is true for all of the forest districts or not.

TB, thanks for the heads up on these. Nice improvements.

The state forest maps that have been done in the new format so far are:

Loyalsock, Elk, Bald Eagle, Tuscorora, Forbes, and Gallitzin.

Others will be available in the future.

Back