Need help from you bug guys.

delta_dog

delta_dog

Anyone know what this is. A few of them must have hitched a ride home in my dry fly box from the last time up in Central Pa. The hook in pic 1 is an 18. The hook in pic 2 and 3 are a size 24. I'm guessing Midge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 3
I am not a bug guy (yet), just an interested and rather slow student. It has all of the basic characteristics of a crane fly don't you think? Quite small though.

looks like a skeeter apart from the feathery tendrils so i think thats a midge.

interesting that the grey has a little pale green tint to it.

Midge cream.......definite

Good thread. I'm not a bug guy. I would have assumed it was a mosquito. I learn new stuff from you guys everyday!

Its cool to see a midge like that up close.

That's a big midge. Were you by a lake?

csoult wrote:

Last 2 pics bug next to a size 24 hook. Need a size 28 or so to tie it in the proper size.

Oops, guess I should have read through that before commenting. :-o

afishinado wrote:
csoult wrote:

Last 2 pics bug next to a size 24 hook. Need a size 28 or so to tie it in the proper size.

i'd have to tye that short on a 22. i'm not sure i could even see enough to pick up a 28...

I wish I had better pics but I only snapped a few with the IPad. It was funny when I opened my box the first fly flew straight to the vise and landed right on the hook as if to say tie me on boss. Like I said I thought it was a midge but the size had me guessing but I guess there are BIG midges out there.

Back