National FF'ing Championships

J

jjsjigs

I was on the Little J upstream from DonnyBeav's on 10/18 and lo and behold here come Eric Stroup and his boys (even Ranger Keene) with little orange posts... they were marking beats for the Nat'l FFing Championships coming up this weekend.

Who is going to drive out and watch?

right after the tiddly wink finals.

I'll take a 12 pack of Old Milwaukee up and watch it. lol

They also have beats on Big Fishing Creek, Penns, Spring, and one other... but I forgot where. I think they could market this event a bit more. My keeping it under wraps like they do it just oozes "tweediness" and "snootiness".

It would be a good thing for flyfishing as a whole to have spectators at an event like this. I'll bring my beer truck and offer free Yuengling!

What are "beats"?

I considered volunteering, but can't make it.

I have zero interest in the competition (FFing competition borders on offensive in my eyes), and would consider watching or helping for purely selfish reasons. I would imagine there is plenty to be learned.

True, good way to find new lies. But i hate that they're roping off these beats, on a weekend no less.

Beats are a section of stream that they are using to host the championships... usually in 50 to 75 yard increments.

They might have trouble on lower beat 10 on Penns i hammered them pretty good there today. lol

Flyfishing championships on a "pellet" crick.I'll bet it's on Versus,another "quality" outdoor channel.I guess i'm jaded.

None of them are pellet creeks.

Im not a fan of these tournaments but i would love to watch. As some of you eluded 2.........theres a lot one could learn @ these events.

If they want a real "pellet" crik, come to Lititz Run :-D

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
Im not a fan of these tournaments but i would love to watch. As some of you eluded 2.........theres a lot one could learn @ these events.

I watched the youth tournament on Spring Creek for a little while. What I saw looked pretty much like standard nymph techniques, using Green Weenies.

So, there you go. I saved you the long drive. :)

:lol: thanks :)

I stand corrected: Eric Stroup was not one of the volunteers marking beats. His email to me:

Just a heads-up. You didn’t see me marking beats for the championships on the Little J. I’m not involved in that

thing, especially since their doing it over spawning fish. We’ve just had our first baby and I’ve been pretty busy with that, just wanted to set the record straight.

Have a good day.

Eric Stroup

- So, Mr. Stroup I apologize that I identified you as one of the volunteers and I apologize to all the members of Paflyfish.com that I posted that information in error. I stand corrected!

JJ

Penns is blown out won't be any fishing anywhere in Penns this weekend.

guage is at over 700 cfs. wow get the kayaks out.

I can't beleive our sport , the quiet sport , has evolved into this.

I could be wrong and I'll be the first to admit it, but when you don't see any local industry support for such an event, and you see some questionable guys associated with the SRC taking an interest as an official, I take that as a clear message that no one who is a friend of that river thinks it is a good idea.

Funny thing, I didn't know anything about it. From a business point of view, no local business benefits from this contest, and surely there will be no press coverage, unless it is of footage of a BBQ at the Spring Ridge Club.....fake publicity as far as I am concerned.

It warms my heart that Penns is blown out -- so long National Fly Championships. Got to love Penns, she never disappoints.

Back