Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

My first brown trout... On the west branch of the Upper Deleware

From Easton Pa
I've heard stories of the upper Deleware being one of the most challenging, rewarding, and frustrating places to fish. A destination highly sought after by anglers from all over the country runs roughly two hours away from where I live, so I find it as an obligation to at least make an attempt at fishing on it.

When I first fell in love with wild browns when I first began fly fishing, I started reading up on serious brown water, the upper Deleware gave me chills after I read a few articles proclaiming it's treasures. If I wanted a serious stretch of water, this was it. Numerous stories of anglers fishing on the river And coming up short trip after trip worried me a little but didn't scare me. I knew that in order to have a fighting chance I would have to do things right, I had to be perfect, and even then I may come up short. A guide, and friend of mine who taught me how to nymph properly, gave me some realistic words of wisdom in a conversation we had after my first trip that ended with wet, frozen, snow covered clothes, zero trout, And nothing but the image of the 25" brown that jumped 10ft out from where I just had been casting who basically said "screw you" after my first trip to the upper Deleware." Have about 10 more trips like that, then maybe you'll start to hook a few." Ten trips of this? -#censor#.

If I was going to travel 2 hours I wanted to catch fish, not just stand there. I felt like I needed to be fully prepared, and so I studied up. This past Sunday two of my buddies that i've helped out fishing and I decided that today was our day, a trip to the Upper Deleware. Eager , all of us, but this time felt different for me. I had that puffy chest "I'm gonna do this" attitude, and the occasional tingle/chill that ran up my spine and made my hair stand up.

We got to the west branch, the air felt good, crisp. We stumbled upon a few fishermen, "nothing" was a common response, but we knew, it was just a matter of when. We fished one stretch and each of us had different rigs, each of us had a few takes, none landed. I went small, I felt like I had to go tiny. We changed locations, beat from mental strain rather than being physically exhausted. The new spot refreshed us, especially myself. I got " the eye", I started seeing every current, lane, and lie very easily. First cast, nothing. Second cast, twitch, rainbow- landed. First cast back I into the water, twitch, rainbow-landed. Of course I had the biggest grin on my face, can't say the same for my buds, but my grin shortly turned into a look of concern. A drift boat, most guys seem like they have a good head on their shoulders up there but there's always the occasional bimbo wherever you go, and of course right as I'm hooking into trout I have to worry about some potential goon. I've been in this situation before, guys drift down, catch fish, mess with your spot and move to the next one. This time I wanted it to be different, I thought to myself "how epic would it be to hook into one right as they were passing by?" First cast, nothing. Second cast, twitch-quietly murmured "fish on"- all heads turn.landed

For one brief moment, I felt like nothing else mattered, and instead of feeling boastful in my triumph,I felt like I was sharing a memory with a few friends and a few strangers on a river that sometimes leaves you with nothing but a memory. Proud and thankful for my first brown trout on my 2nd Upper Deleware trip.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 2:27

Re: My first brown trout... On the west branch of the Upper Deleware

From Eastern PA
I am confused.

Are you not a licensed PA guide with what one would assume to be a bit of experience? Something about these post are not making sense and seem very high schoolish to me.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 2:32

From Easton Pa
Last year I got my guide license, this year I did not, I've realized how much it takes to be a respectable guide and I'm not on that level yet by any meAns

Posted on: 2013/9/10 2:36

From Eastern PA
Quote:

Lippincottseth wrote:
Last year I got my guide license, this year I did not, I've realized how much it takes to be a respectable guide and I'm not on that level yet by any meAns

Well I respect the fact that you did not renew your license given that you likely should have never charged folks money to begin with. Frankly outside of the barriers of entry (liability coverage, CPR certification, application, etc) licensing is quite easy yet means practically nothing. Based upon all the social media output that you have made public it seems quite prudent to get 10-20 years under your belt before you choose to try to teach other people.

Again, good call and prudent move. Learn to enjoy fly fishing versus trying to shove it down social medias throat.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 2:46

From SEPA
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Again, good call and prudent move. Learn to enjoy fly fishing versus trying to shove it down social medias throat.

What if he did it for the discounts?

#protip

Posted on: 2013/9/10 3:00

I hope I'm that lucky on my second trip there. My first time there was awesome except for the no fish part.

Posted on: 2013/9/10 16:40

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com