Most versatile rod

Wulff

Wulff

I'm curious what everyone thinks is the most versatile rod (length and weight).

9' 5wt

Expect a whole lot of 9' 5wt responses on this one. Count me in.

I never owned a rod that long. My most versatile is an 8' 5 weight. Do you fish bamboo?

the one I'm fishing with at the time.

For trout, throw another one in the pile. :) 9'5wt

I mostly trout fish, but I can't help but feel like the true answer is a heavier rod. I like to catch bass and steelhead pretty often too, and a 9'5wt just wouldn't cut it. I'm going with 9' 7wt. You can trout fish with it, it just might not be too pretty.

Oddly enough, I have no use for a 7wt. If it was all I could have, its stock would skyrocket.

For length, I think 9' is by far the best length, at least for a graphite rod.

Though I don't own one, 9', 6 weight.

Rolf wrote
Though I don't own one, 9', 6 weight.

+1, and I actually do own one. Definitely adequate for steelhead and you could land a salmon or two if you hooked enough...

I use it for smallmouth a lot and hook the odd panfish, its still fun to catch little fish.

9' sounds good and 6 wt hmmn yea you can always underline a6 wt with a 5 wt line and you can always use a 7 wt on it as well as the 6 wt.I catch most of my trout on 5 wt or 4/5 wt rods, on the river i can always use a 6 wt line and have .I also catch plenty of smallies and lake run browns and steelhead on a 6 wt rod with a 5 wt double taper floater cut in half or a 6 wt line.But when the kings are around or im in salt water its a 9 wt 9' stick hands down.
At least 9' minumum i use a lot of 10' or better now but i was limited id take a 9' rod,weight ..i cant make up my mind
Trout..5 wt u can line up or down a weight
Salmon & Stripers 9..smae thing line up or down and the faster the stick in saltwater the better in freshwater medium action only
Im torn guys ill need two rods..
9' 5 wt medium/fast action
9" 9 wt medium/fast action
sorry thats my corss to bear
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

IMHO you seldom need a 9 foot rod in PA, that said my most versitile rod is my loomis 4wt, 7.5 foot rod. I use it everywhere but the largest streams. I only fish the 9 foot on places like Pine Creek or Penns Creek, I don't even use the 9 foot on Spring Creek. Maybe I would use my 9 foot rods more if I did more nymphing.

I want to say 9' 5wt but I hafta say 9' 6wt is the most versatile. I have a 10' 7wt that was originally built exclusively for Steelhead, but I have ended up using it for everything because it can throw big wind resistant poppers and clousers well. I have often times wished it was a 6.

I did see a guy land several January Steelhead on a 5wt but I think he and more importantly, the rod would've been in trouble if the water was over 50degs.

Chaz wrote:
IMHO you seldom need a 9 foot rod in PA....

I agree I seldom need one, but when I want one, I cannot lengthen a shorter rod by technique, whereas, I can alter technique to accomodate a large rod on a small stream.

If I had to own only one, I would want at least 8.5. But, if I could have two, one would be either 7.5 or 8 ft.

I think some adjustment of advice based upon the particular streams you see yourself fishing most often would be in order to settle on one as "most versatile."

If the whole world of flyfishing possibilities were to be considered, a 7-weight might be "most versatile."

9 foot 5 weight for trout only.If you want to add Bass or Steelhead I would say 9 foot 6 weight.

IMO - best all around size for PA trout fishing would be 8'6" 5 wght. Would be a little easier to use on small streams than a 9 footer.

The bulk of my fishing is done with an 8'6" 4 wght. But I do have a 9' 5 wght, which gets used only on our largest rivers - like the delaware and the yough

I usually only fish for trout and own a 9' 6wt and a 8' 6" 4wt and usually use the 4wt...The only times I wish I had the 6wt are when I want to throw streamers...just doesn't seem like the 4wt packs enough punch...

dryflyguy wrote:
IMO - best all around size for PA trout fishing would be 8'6" 5 wght. Would be a little easier to use on small streams than a 9 footer.

I agree. You can fish everything from small brookie streams to the Delaware River with that length/weight.

IloveBrookies wrote:
I usually only fish for trout and own a 9' 6wt and a 8' 6" 4wt and usually use the 4wt...The only times I wish I had the 6wt are when I want to throw streamers...just doesn't seem like the 4wt packs enough punch...

Imagine what a 9' 5 weight would do.... hahaha

Seriously, although a 9' 5wt is the best all 'round formula for ONE rod....its not best for much more than nymphing and streamers with medium weight. (chuck and duck)

I started with an 8' 5 wt and got it because it was good for "everything" but I soon learned it was inferior for big water and heavy flies and a tad harsh for fine dry fly fishing.

Now I have 7' 6" 3 and 4 wts for dries on medium size streams (YB/Spring size) and a stiffer 9' 5wt for large streams (Penns class) with big flies for drys and heavy nymphing.

The 8'5 wt was my fall back but its been "tip deprived" for two years and I don't miss it. I suppose I would if I broke my 9' 5 wt.

Best all around rod for what? I know most folks will assume you meant trout rod (Maybe I'm wrong). I imagine you’d get a unilaterally different set of replies from a message board in Florida (9' 9 wt? Good for reds, snook, jacks, and small tarpon).

OK, in PA, I'll vote for the 9' 6wt: jack of all trades, master of none.

But, now we can put a finer point on it. I would say MY 9' 6wt is WAY too much rod for most dry and many nymph fishing scenarios. It's a Sage XP so it's fast. Now my 9' 5wt SP is a great all 'rounder. So, I would have to quality my answer. It depends on the action and to some extent the target species. Either rod would be OK for small stream & pond bass fishing, but I had difficulty setting the hook on big bass with the 6wt XP. I really needed an 8 WT (which I own but did have with me).

It's a little like asking what is the best guitar. Best for what? acoustic or electric? Steel or nylon strings? Bass guitar? What style: blues, jazz, rock, pop, classical?

The question is just too general.

dryflyguy wrote:

I'm lacking a 9'5wt right now and have an 8'6" 5wt. I really miss the extra 6" when nymphing. I think some of it has to do with the particular rod I have, something a bit stiffer might not suffer as much ... but turning over heavier double nymph rigs can be a pain, and that 6" is a help with mending.

Sure, it does the job ... but there are more scenarios where I miss that half foot than when I'm thankful I don't have it.

Back