Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Mentor day

From Boilingsprings
I have heard from many sources the mentor day on Boilingsprings lake was a disaster. Catching and keeping more than limit, dead trout all over the lake bottom the next day. One youth told me he caught 18 on power bait. Some kids had to be there at 6:00 AM to get there spots according to the adult.There was even a adult fist fight. Question: who was mentoring who?

Posted on: 2013/3/25 14:17

Re: Mentor day

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
I do not know what happened at Boiling Springs, but from what I saw at the Lehigh Canal it was overall a success. Sure I had some rude parents, but the kids were having a blast. Why does it matter how many fish a kid caught? If 18 was a lot, what do you find to be ok? 2 and leave, even if they C&R? My kids caught 7 each. Is that to many? should we have stopped at 2 and left?

Posted on: 2013/3/25 14:33

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Lancaster Co.
The Lancaster paper had a report from Muddy Run lake. Think there were 200 some kids and adults fishing. By 10:00am no one had a caught a fish!

Posted on: 2013/3/25 14:47

From Boilingsprings
The problem is not number caught but the number killed. I did a study on bait released motrtality rate about 10 years ago and it can be devastating. The point is we are teaching our children to be good to the earth and to each other not how many fish we catch. This is one of the problems. This was a mentor day. After reading what a mentor was according to the guidelines of fish and boat it appears some folks did not read the directions or have common sense. I do not think it is OK to kill trout and throw them back. Call the YellowBreeches fly shop and ask about the complaints. If it was the youth catching 2 trout and taking them home it could have been a different story to tell in our are. I understand not all actions were wrong but there were way too many to just say well they are kids and that's is ok.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 16:39

Like I said, I do not know what when on down there. I did notice that the people around me kept the fish if they were bleeding. I also know, that every fish my kids caught were hooked in the lip. I saw 1 dead fish float by me. Not to bad from what I saw.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 16:46

From Gettysburg
Addicted,
Sorry to hear about the event on Children's Lake turned out this way. I had not heard about this but am not entirely surprised as (as you know) that spot can be pretty crowded on opening day. Yours is the only report of such bad behavior I have heard about - evidently it went well at other locations. I still think the idea of an early youth opener is still a good idea.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 16:46

From Boilingsprings
Dead fish usually do not float they sink to the bottom and unless you have a lake such as BS you will never know what happens to the fish after you release it. There is a current post on releasing fish and Dave had some very good thoughts. I am sure many were not handled in such a manner. The Yellowbreeches anglers do 3 or 4 kids fish derbys a year. Also almost 1/2 of the shows I do have a kids trout pond. If the main idea is about catching these are the type of programs I support for young children. Fellowship and teaching children to respect the out of doors is much more important than catching fish. There is a kids only area for one month on the lake at present is there a need for more? Also this area keeps our wco and deputies very busy. Ask them.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 17:20

My brother caught one with a hook and line in its mouth.I didn't see any floating though.I did see alot of bait floating. I know where I fished it looked like a group had a big event tent set up with propane heaters, grill, and seats.I am not saying it is bad,its just that they could have taken a bit less space so others could get some room on a small lake to begin with. I did see alot of fish being caught but just 10 inchers and I did see 1 big 13.5-16 inch palamino that was caught.I think that the PFBC went for quantity not quality of fish when they stocked them. But most kids did have fun.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 10:43

I took my kids to Middletown Reservoir late Saturday afternoon. My kids are young and I knew the sub freezing temps wouldn't make an enjoyable trip for them in the AM. I fished the DHALO on Manada Creek in the morning and drove by Middletown Reservoir on the way home right around noon. I would have been hard pressed to find a place to get off of the road. I counted 57 vehicles there.

I returned with the kids just before 4:00. It was still crowded but nothing like earlier. Within an hour and a half, the kids had caught eight fish and kept two each that had swallowed the hook. We quit fishing after they each had two on a stringer.

I didn't see many people catching fish, so I don't know if there were a lot badly hurt fish released. The problem I saw was a good number of dads fishing. I saw dads actively fishing whose kids weren't within 50 yds of them. I fully understand that kids need help but I don't see any excuse for what I witnessed on Saturday.

Overall, what I saw was a success. My kids had a fantastic time. It was my son's first time fishing and my daughter's first time for trout. I think it is a great opportunity for kids. It's just a shame that some people are so willing to take advantage of a day like that... at least they weren't catching fish.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 12:30

From Eastern PA
Addictedangler, did you try helping anyone out? Show them proper fish handling? A group of us went to our local lake in order to help anglers in need. Frankly, we interfaced with few people as most seemed to be doing a really good job fishing, catching and when desired, releasing. I did not witness a dead fish and fishing was really good. I am sure their was mortality, however I believe it was minimal. Having said that, I cannot differentiate mortality due to improper release from a frying pan. In these situations I generally support harvest over release but frankly the fish are there for recreation and entertainment, for which they served their purpose.

I would humbly suggest that you gather a group of friends and assist the PFBC at next years event if you are truly concerned about mortality of fish.

The early AM head count and 10:00 AM head count was around 150 people if I remember correctly. I did not witness or hear of any issues whatsoever from the participants, PFBC or assistants.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 12:39

From Delaware County
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Addictedangler, did you try helping anyone out? Show them proper fish handling? A group of us went to our local lake in order to help anglers in need. Frankly, we interfaced with few people as most seemed to be doing a really good job fishing, catching and when desired, releasing. I did not witness a dead fish and fishing was really good. I am sure their was mortality, however I believe it was minimal. Having said that, I cannot differentiate mortality due to improper release from a frying pan. In these situations I generally support harvest over release but frankly the fish are there for recreation and entertainment, for which they served their purpose.

I would humbly suggest that you gather a group of friends and assist the PFBC at next years event if you are truly concerned about mortality of fish.

The early AM head count and 10:00 AM head count was around 150 people if I remember correctly. I did not witness or hear of any issues whatsoever from the participants, PFBC or assistants.

Based on Addictedangler's original post, I don't even think he was there in person. He was stating what he heard from "other people".

Sorry, but this is the same crap I've seen on a lot of other forums from people who weren't even present at any of the events and are just reciting a story they heard from "others" who were supposedly there. I have no doubt that some "mentors" took advantage of the early fishing day and acted out of line, but I HIGHLY doubt all the death and destruction reported on numerous forums about the Mentor Day from some people.

IMO, I thought it was great that the PFBC tested a program like this to try to attract young anglers. Obviously some disagree and will exaggerate the percieved negative impact to try to stop a day like this from ever occurring again.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 12:52

From Boilingsprings
I did spend some time at the lake earlier in the morning before I had to do a presentation for the YBA. As for helping the kids you need to ready the fish and boat statement on the web. They say that this is for fahter and sons, grandfathers. They did not want outside help. There are a lot of do gooders that take advantage of the situation. I work with high school students and see some of the problems they face in life. This Saturday the Boiling spring lake will open up for the children again. Go there for the day then post your comments. At that time they will have some real meaning. As stated before do you think it is OK to teach children to Kill and release trout for the fun of it? If so we have nothing in common. I grew up a son of a poor coal miner and will die as such. I have devoted my life to education and conservation and take it seriously. If someone wants to poke fun of me go ahead. But unless you know the facts I suggest you think about the next post.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 14:18

I had two friends come with me. They both are not fathers. One helped my oldest, while I worked with my youngest. The other brought his two younger cousins and helped them. I do not believe it was for only fathers and such. I can not speak for everybody, but I "kinda fished" but my sons were right next to us and reeled in the fish. My 3yr old did walk away a few times, but not farther then 10 feet and was instantly rejuvenated and interested when the fish was hooked. My 5yr old never left my buddies side. He had hand over hand help for casting and setting the hook. However, he set the hook many times by himself. I do not feel it is right for the kids to be taught to throw back dead fish, and we would have never done that. It is unfortunate if it did happen. I was really happy with mentor day and feel it was really worthwhile. Both of my children are asking when they can go next.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 16:46

Becker,
Glad you had a positive experience and got to spend quality time with your kids. Those are memories that will last a lifetime for sure, and will trump any fishing trip you take by yourself.

What time did you get out to get a spot?

Posted on: 2013/3/26 17:01

Well my buddies and I had scouted before hand and knew where the most fish were. Not knowing how many people scouted and or would show up, we made the decision to get there early and set up. We arrived around 5:30 expecting the lot to be full. We pulled in and not another person was there. We set up our spot and went back to the car and stayed warm. Around 630 people showed up and my two friends and oldest went and hung out. I ended up driving around Bethlehem for 40 minutes trying to find a bathroom for my youngest to go #2. It really was a great experience, because my kids got a small taste of the craziness all of my friends and I partake in the first day.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 17:16

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com