Lunker Brown!

mute

mute

Landed a nice 17in Brown over at stony creek in MO. County. Also one thing i couldn't understand is it seemed there were hatches at times, and only thing i noticed were alot of small like size 22 whiteish flies i guess. Also another weird thing is when the state came in and dumped some fish in, like for the next 10 mins, there was alot of top feeding. Caught about 90% of the fish on theses 2 patterns all day, 1

Nice trout! I think the reason the trout hit on top immediately after stocking is because, as I think Maurice mentioned, they aren't fed for a day or two before stocking. They get used to eating hatchery pellets which are thrown into the water. A cast fly probably looks just like what they have come to expect in the raceway.

JackM wrote:
Nice trout! I think the reason the trout hit on top immediately after stocking is because, as I think Maurice mentioned, they aren't fed for a day or two before stocking. They get used to eating hatchery pellets which are thrown into the water. A cast fly probably looks just like what they have come to expect in the raceway.

Jack,

I think he means they were surfacing, not necessarily to flies. They do this alot too in places where the water is still, with lower DO than they are used to or not fast enough for them to make a decision to get out of the current or get washed down stream. I believe they are taking a gulp of air as a means of getting used to their new environment. (recovering from suffocation). This is often mistaken as surface feeding. But a flyfishermen can tell the difference. They bring their mouth out of the water and make a sloppy gulp. After a while, they settle down and go about more noraml behavior. You won't see that on faster sections of streams. They go nose down right away and aclimate themselves.

Make no mistake, they know when the pellets are floating and when they are not. On an aside....most of the feed is a slow-sink. so not all the feeding is on the surface in a nursery.

Maurice

Back