Looking for a cabin

SBecker

SBecker

Well I am not, but my parents are. Figured this would be a place that someone might have some inside info or can direct me to a place. They are interested in the Wallenpaupack area, but I have convinced them to look at the State College region. Obviously for my own selfish reasons. They asked me to start looking for them. I have browsed around, but have not really found anything. Links or pms are appreciated. Thanks!

Is there a reward if they buy one a PAFFer tipped them off to? Two weekends a year seem about right? :-D

For what it's worth, other than Potter/Tioga, the next place I'd look would probably be Mifflin County. Not sure if your folks would consider that "State College area" still or not...but real estate should be less expensive than Centre Co. I'm used to driving long distances so 40 minutes into State College or an hour to Harrisburg is nothing to me, but may seem like a PITA to others. Check out the forested ridge/valley areas...saw some nice ones for sale while fishing at the Jam. If you think they'd be interested PM me and I'll let you know what roads I was on.

Edit: Above should read "Two LONG weekends per year!"

About 15yrs ago I lived in the Wallenpaupack area. All I can say is wow. That area has some of the best lake fishing that I have ever come across. We lived in an area next to Fairview Lake that was absolutely awesome. It was nothing to catch 13"+ smallies just roaming the shore. Plus the trout fishing was good too in the Lackawaxen River. The closest town was Hawley, PA. So that can give you a general area if your parents are leaning towards the Wallenpaupack area. Also, if you're into ice fishing, that's probably one of the best areas in PA as far as dependable ice goes... Just my 2 cents. Good luck on the search. It's a good problem to have...

Father works for PPL we have vacationed at Wallenpaupack for years at PPL's cabins. They just tore them down for no good reason. Anyways, yea great area. Found an awesome place in Snow Shoe 11 acres and less then 10yr old cabin. Mother is interested, so I have my hopes up. Black Monessen (Sp?) runs through property. 40 minutes from S.C. but whatever.

SBecker wrote:
Father works for PPL we have vacationed at Wallenpaupack for years at PPL's cabins. They just tore them down for no good reason. Anyways, yea great area. Found an awesome place in Snow Shoe 11 acres and less then 10yr old cabin. Mother is interested, so I have my hopes up. Black Monessen (Sp?) runs through property. 40 minutes from S.C. but whatever.

Black Moshannon is the stream name. Nice area - there may not be a better central location that has as wide a variety of angling opportunities within a 1.5 hour radius (Center CTY streams, ANF, NC PA, etc.)

I am now assuming they are looking to buy? Initially I was going to suggest http://restandrepast.com for the State College area...

Snow Shoe? Pretty sure a state forest ranger told me that Moshannon State Forest was slated to get fraced up. Dunno though.

Might want to push them to the Delaware river, lol, if they are willing to go all the way to State College, why not the other way too, haha.

In your area, near Carbon and lower Lackawanna are some very peaceful areas around the Lackawanna State Forest area and down past the FEW. Not as much prime fishing as central Pa, but very peaceful areas for relaxation.

salmonoid wrote:
SBecker wrote:

Black Moshannon is the stream name. Nice area - there may not be a better central location that has as wide a variety of angling opportunities within a 1.5 hour radius (Center CTY streams, ANF, NC PA, etc.)

I am now assuming they are looking to buy? Initially I was going to suggest http://restandrepast.com for the State College area...

Yea they are looking to buy. Tis the reason I am excited. Lol

BeastBrown wrote:
Snow Shoe? Pretty sure a state forest ranger told me that Moshannon State Forest was slated to get fraced up. Dunno though.

Might want to push them to the Delaware river, lol, if they are willing to go all the way to State College, why not the other way too, haha.

In your area, near Carbon and lower Lackawanna are some very peaceful areas around the Lackawanna State Forest area and down past the FEW. Not as much prime fishing as central Pa, but very peaceful areas for relaxation.

Nah I would prefer to keep them heading out to State College. Plus, there is thoughts in my family of moving out to the area anyways for a teaching position. This causes my parents to want to stay close to the grand kids. What better then having a separate place nearby to visit. If we do not move out there for work, at least I will have a place to stay and eventually willed to me.

The Black Mo can be great fishing. Lots of other beautiful small streams up there too, and it's not far at all to Spring Creek. Hope it works out, I really think you'd enjoy that location.

SBecker wrote:
BeastBrown wrote:

Nah I would prefer to keep them heading out to State College. Plus, there is thoughts in my family of moving out to the area anyways for a teaching position. This causes my parents to want to stay close to the grand kids. What better then having a separate place nearby to visit. If we do not move out there for work, at least I will have a place to stay and eventually willed to me.

That is some long term planning there, haha, hopefully you don't have a sister named Tiffany or Heather that gets it....always the Tiffanys and Heathers man...

No sisters, and not really long term thinking.

Here's a unique thought:

Put their wants/needs/desires before your own selfish reasons and help them find what they really want.

Location? amenities? driving distance? etc.

outsider wrote:
Here's a unique thought:

Put their wants/needs/desires before your own selfish reasons and help them find what they really want.

Location? amenities? driving distance? etc.

Their wants......some land with a cabin on it. That's all they want. I happened to find them a nice chunck of land with an almost brand new cabin. Think I did a nice job. Pat me on the back?

Back