Look at the size of these!!

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GtW9ps2rYDw

who ever posted the youtube link yesterday contributed to my lack of work today... thanks alot!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4qMnOJPTg_c

Who votes we take an annual paflyfish trip to Argentina? lol

I didn't watch from work, but I'm going to assume that they are of gigantic sea run brownies.

I've wanted to go to Argentina for years... it's one of the places I wish to fish while I'm still young.

They look like Atlantic Salmon to me. But you'd actually have to catch them to tell the difference, unless you know the river only has browns. If it had both browns and Atlantic Salmon it's fairly hard to tell the difference so I'd have to hedge my bets on them being browns.

After watching, they do look like atlantics.

That certainly didn't help me to get over my wanting to go to Argentina.

Watch the rod angles of the guy playing his fish, he knows what he is doing, that side to side angle really works on the big guys.

Chaz wrote:
They look like Atlantic Salmon to me. But you'd actually have to catch them to tell the difference, unless you know the river only has browns. If it had both browns and Atlantic Salmon it's fairly hard to tell the difference so I'd have to hedge my bets on them being browns.

I'm pretty sure they don't have Atlantics in Argentina, but I could be wrong. The British introduced the Browns and Rainbows in the 1800's by carrying eggs packed in wet sphagnum on the long journey by ship. Crazy Brit's! Also, I'm pretty sure you can tell the difference between a Brown and an Atlantic by the length of the jaw and the shape of the tail. An Atlantic's jaw only extends a little more than halfway to the eye, while a Brown's extends slightly past the eye. In addition I'm told that if it's easy to tail it's probably an Atlantic, as the Brown has a thicker base to it's tail, which makes them slip out of you hand more easily. That what I heard, for what it's worth.

As far as I could tell the jaw extended past the eye and that dude couldn't tail that one for crap, so I'm pretty sure they were browns.

Boyer

Argentina has some of the finest Atlantic fishing in the world.

google "Argentina+atlantic salmon" and you'll find plenty.

jayL wrote:
Argentina has some of the finest Atlantic fishing in the world.

google "Argentina+atlantic salmon" and you'll find plenty.

Oopsey!, My bad! I honestly never heard of Atlantics there, and I've looked into at leaast a few lodges. Wow. I feel dumb. :-( Nice to know. I thought I had a genius idea the other day and the same thing happened. I had never heard of Iceland being a major destination for fishermen, so I figured I could do it for relatively cheap and catch some Atlantics. Yeah, turns out it's major huge. Like 8 grand for 7 days of fishing. Pretty creepy when Argentina is the cheap way out. :-o Northern Quebec is looking better every day. Someday.

Boyer

Man, I wasn't really close at all on the history, either. I should do more research before posting. Atlantics were actually stocked before browns. Man! I also found a picture of an Atlantic on an Argentine website with a jaw like a Brown. My humblest apologies for spreading misinformation. Sorry. I should remember when I post that there is much more I don't know than there is what I do know. I was going by the posters on all the salmon rivers in NYS that tell you how to tell the difference between Browns and Atlantics, but I guess that only applies to Lake O fish. Sorry again.

Boyer

after all argentina isn't far from chile (worlds second largest farm raised salmon exporter)...wonder how the farm raised ones do after they get out. Besides ruining a wild population of course. Those look to me like atlantic salmon...damn nice ones too. Those were some big 'ole rainbows in tat first vid too!

No problem Matt.

I'll be totally honest with you... I just learned about the Atlantics there a month or two ago, while looking at Argentinian lodges.

I'm not sure about price, but you might be able to find some cheap unkown lodges in mongolia. 4 foot long taimen on mouse flies look pretty fun!
http://www.fishmongolia.co.uk/

Back