Little J Guide Recommendations

P

psummrnl

Looking for suggestions on guides for the Little J. Intermediate level fly fisherman looking to gain river knowledge more than instruction. Has anyone had a particularly great experience with anyone they can recommend?

Eric Stroup. (ericstroupflyfishing.com)
Good guy, good guide knowledgeable and personable.

Alan Bright of Spruce Creek Outfitters. He has guided and had his shop on the LJR "forever."

I'd second Eric Stroup. Definitely a quality guy and you'll learn a ton.

Eric Stroup as well, great and humble guy, his page is awesome as well. I read his book, also and think it is a cut and dry breakdown of good fly fishing techniques.

I second Alan Bright and Spruce Creek Outfitters

One thing with ES -- You might not get him; you might one of his employees who may not be of ES's quality. Just saying....

As far as I know, you get Alan with SCO. To be sure, you might check their websites.

gfoledc wrote:
Eric Stroup. (ericstroupflyfishing.com)
Good guy, good guide knowledgeable and personable.
This, you won't be sorry you did.

My father and I spent a guided day with Eric Stroup last year on the Little J and had a blast. We learned a ton from him and he is a good time to be around. He packs an awesome stream side feast as well!

+1 for Stroup
There is only so much you can learn in one session. You can gain more knowledge by becoming a life member of the Little Juniata River Assoc. You will get a 4hr tour of the entire river from the president and have the chance to meet and speak with the "regulars" at the monthly meetings and river projects. Clean up coming first saturday in April.

Agree with the LJRA post. Bill Anderson will provide as much insight, if not more, in his river tour than you will get by standing beside a guide looking at an indicator for 8 hours. Whether you go guided or not, I'd highly suggest you and anyone else that loves this river to join the LJRA - life membership.

Don't know why I didn't think of LJRA and Bill Anderson. In addition to knowing the river better than anyone else, Anderson constantly works thru the LJRA for its betterment. He is truly an ardent conservationist. A life membership is cheap for the LJRA at only 100 dollars. I also urge you to consider joining that fine organization that does much for the Little Juniata.

You can check things out on the LJRA website.

http://www.littlejuniata.org/

given the fight on that river, the $100 would seem to be a great investment or gift - even if you can only wish to fish the Little J. one day !

thats going on my Birthday Wish list.

Geebee, I am only a few miles from you. If we could coordinate schedules, I'd be happy to show you the J sometime once the weather breaks. If nothing else, shoot me a note and I can get you some flies and some info that might help... TB

Check out Juniata Troutfitters - great guys and great fishermen.
http://www.juniatatroutfitters.com/

I'm always on the J so if anyone is interested in getting together to fish, hit me up.

Did not know about Juniata Troutfitters. Perhaps if you'd like more info about them, you could call up the LJRA website and ask if these young guys are reliable. Perhaps you could email Bill A. to see what he thinks (email thru the LJRA site).

Back