Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 29 30 31 (32) 33 34 35 36 »

Re: Let's Start Steelhead Fever

From Howard Falls
no prob, iceyguides. shoot me a pm if you guys wanna link up.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 19:16

From WNY
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
Quote:

bingsbaits wrote:
20 Mile was as low as I have ever seen it today.
What few fish there were were crazy skittish as they had no place to hide for security...

Can't believe how much "Sandy" changed the holes in the creek....

Be careful when you step backwards... What, there did not used to be a hole there. SPLASH! Been there!

Or boulder :(
Well, fishing the Catt today, I found out where those boulders at the head of the run got pushed down to. I was about waste deep and playing a fish when I took a step backward, tripped across a knee high boulder and sat down in the river. Water temped out to about 34 degrees. Sucked the air right out of me.
Landed a beat up old dropback buck and headed back to the truck. I carry a towell, spare waders and a change of clothes.
After a cup of coffee,I tried another hour of fishing but I couldn't get myself to stop shivering.

Attach file:

jpg  dropback.jpg (106.55 KB)
144_50b7ede294332.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2012/11/29 18:22

From NE OH
I stepped into a familiar hole on the Grand last year that was knee deep the year before...up to my neck. Always wise to have that change of clothes in the truck!

Posted on: 2012/11/29 19:20

From WNY
I fortunately remembered to put my cell phone and camera in a zip-lock, too.

Posted on: 2012/11/30 8:06

From harlansburg
one of mine from this morning. water not bad, actually higher than many times I've fished it. hooked around 10, landed 4 in the space of about 3 hours, back home in time for lunch.

Attach file:

jpg  steelhead1.jpg (65.43 KB)
2558_50c106c88e872.jpg 720X540 px

Posted on: 2012/12/6 15:57

From WNY
This weeks has been very good.
I don't think I've caught so many fish in one week since the mid-ninties.
I was blessed with 4 days of perfect water, good friends and no crowds.

Posted on: 2012/12/6 16:27

sshhhhh, dont say that too loud, im hoping to make a trip up on saturday and not have to fight the hoards. December has been relatively chill for me in terms of crowds, so i hope that trend continues.

Posted on: 2012/12/6 18:30

From Philadelphia PA
Quote:

bikerfish wrote:
one of mine from this morning. water not bad, actually higher than many times I've fished it. hooked around 10, landed 4 in the space of about 3 hours, back home in time for lunch.

What a beut....That's what I hope to catch as well. Been up there once for Stealheads but was only practicing (nicer way of saying "I got skunked"). and I only saw 2 fish the whole day. What are you using Equipment/Fly wise if you don't mind. You can send me a PM if you want.

I'm ready to go back up.

Posted on: 2012/12/7 10:46
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Ohio
Nice fish!! And sweet setup too

Posted on: 2012/12/7 15:42

From harlansburg
Thank you. Rod is vintage true temper glass i redid with modern guide spacing and a fighting butt. Not sure what weight, id guess a 7 or 8. Reel is an old medalist 1495. I caught all fish on cream colored eggs.

Posted on: 2012/12/7 17:08

Elk Fished pretty well today. I have never had so many equipment failures in my entire angling career. Lost my first 5 fish to broken line plus one broken hook. The hook bit still baffles me. I was fishing 4x flouro which breaks at 6lb, so I have no idea how all these break offs happened. Drove me nuts. Switched to 3x and dropped the hammer on the fish. My action dried up around 1pm, but I had a good morning. A pair of foreign pinners should have been filming a TV show 200 yards up from me. 30+/- fish caught between the two of them in an hour and a half.

Interesting side note, I did not see a single fish creeled today. Sort of surprising, because its usually the complete opposite--i never see a single fish released.

Posted on: 2012/12/8 19:17

From Ohio
Fished Elk, Walnut, Crooked, and Conny today. Water levels were good, crowds weren't too terrible(non existant on Conneaut, there was one guy leaving when we arrived), and even some fish were caught.

Walnut was typical walnut. Not too crowded though. Elk didn't have as many fish as I expected after the recent rains, but most of the ones caught did seem pretty fresh. pwk5017, we might have fished the same stretch? I don't remember seing a fish kept on Elk either, and I did happen to see a pair of foreign pinners. I checked out Crooked for the first time ever. Didn't catch any but did spook 2. Definitetly going to try it again sometime.

Conneaut was up and colored pretty good but still fishable. I wasn't even fishing for 10 minutes yet when I hooked up with a PIG! Unfortunately he broke me off. He flashed a few times but since the water was muddy I didn't get a good look at him. 10lbs at least. He made a few runs but it was mainly just a bulldogging battle in a fast deep run. When I tried to turn his head he snapped off. Only fished for about another 40min after that with one other hook up for a brief second. Nice day on the water, and the weather was nice imo. Upper 40s and cloudy with a misty rain most of the day.

Most unhealthy steelhead I ever caught. Tail beat up, mouth beat up(can't tell in the pic) and had those sores on both sides of the fish. Infected lamprey wounds? Didn't fight all that great either
Click to see original Image in a new window

Conneaut

Posted on: 2012/12/8 20:59

Wow, that one does look like garbage. Fortunately, I havent caught one yet this year with a lamprey mark on it, and I have handled about 30 fish this year. I did catch one that was mangled. A smaller fish of about 19-20" and half its lower jaw was completely detached. Made me feel terrible. Im guessing he came into contact with one heck of a hook and 20lb test.

Streamerguy, I was fishing all around girard park on saturday. I started my morning off at that deeper run/pool about 250-300 yards up from the park across from the sewer plant. Im 24 and I had a black g loomis hat on.

Posted on: 2012/12/9 18:16

From Ohio
We didn't fish the same stretch then, I was a little farther down.

Funny, I think I caught 4 this year with a lamprey mark and caught a little less than 30 so far for the year.

Posted on: 2012/12/9 20:43

Last year I caught quite a few with scars on them, so I know it is an issue. I spoke to a guy on saturday who said he caught one two weeks ago at the mouth with a lamprey still attached.

Did you fish conneaut in ohio or PA? I have been wanting to try it this year, but I have had very little time to fish and havent felt like exploring new water during the precious few days i had. I have read on the ohio forums that it isnt much of a producer for most of the regulars. Fewer fish. Fewer anglers. Either way, I am interested and will have to fish it in the near future.

Posted on: 2012/12/9 21:01

« 1 ... 29 30 31 (32) 33 34 35 36 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com