Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 28 29 30 (31) 32 33 34 ... 36 »

Re: Let's Start Steelhead Fever

True, but I like being comfortable while fishing. 40s and dry is comfortable, not 30s with rain and wind. Last year in december it was 23, windy, and snowing. Was miserable to have your hands/face exposed. More than anything, I am concerned about it going from 50s all this week to low 30s on saturday. Throw in the precip and I think you have a substantial dip in stream temps, which can kill the action sometimes.

Posted on: 2012/11/21 21:22

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

pwk5017 wrote:
True, but I like being comfortable while fishing. 40s and dry is comfortable, not 30s with rain and wind. Last year in december it was 23, windy, and snowing. Was miserable to have your hands/face exposed. More than anything, I am concerned about it going from 50s all this week to low 30s on saturday. Throw in the precip and I think you have a substantial dip in stream temps, which can kill the action sometimes.

This couldn't be further from the truth. The fair weather steelheading is over for the year (after today). I have not been up yet but plan on going Friday from Pittsburgh while visiting relatives. Hopefully I can find a ride/fishing partner. Its been dismal up there this year with only a few substantial rains and subsequent runs. All the fish that come in on false runs are getting wacked by the stringer crowd at the mouths. The ones that have made it through and up crik are fished over and in clear water are a morning and evening effort.

Throw in some rain on Friday and it made my decision to go up. I was on the fence with the reports I was hearing. Add some chilly weather and maybe icy guides and the pressure goes down further. Dress for it, take breaks and get warm. It can be productive.

My question to those knowing the facts is....
Are overall stocked steelhead numbers down from previous years over the last 20 years?

or

Is harvest(mainly at the mouths) due to weak or too few rainfall runs allowing fish to get up crik?

Which is the primary cause for the effect of so few fish upstream of the mouths?

At least this is what I am hearing.

Posted on: 2012/11/22 9:55

From WNY
Numbers have been down the past three years in the Lake Erie tribs off OH, PA and NY. It seems that each successive year is a little worse than the year before.
A good Erie fishing experience is dependent on flow and excluding Sandy, this is the driest year I can ever remember.
I'm not seeing the "whack em and stack em" crowd taking anymore fish than in years past.

Posted on: 2012/11/22 10:48

From Butler, Pa
Agreed. When I first started 5 years ago fish numbers were wicked awesome. Past 3 I go up and say wow where did that hole go, or where are the fish that used to hold in this run. Really depressing

Posted on: 2012/11/22 11:32

[quote]
Maurice wrote:
Quote:

This couldn't be further from the truth. The fair weather steelheading is over for the year (after today). I have not been up yet but plan on going Friday from Pittsburgh while visiting relatives. Hopefully I can find a ride/fishing partner. Its been dismal up there this year with only a few substantial rains and subsequent runs. All the fish that come in on false runs are getting wacked by the stringer crowd at the mouths. The ones that have made it through and up crik are fished over and in clear water are a morning and evening effort.

Throw in some rain on Friday and it made my decision to go up. I was on the fence with the reports I was hearing. Add some chilly weather and maybe icy guides and the pressure goes down further. Dress for it, take breaks and get warm. It can be productive.

I totally agree with you, I often look for the days when it will be "uncomfortable". I have an insane array of outdoor apparel/gear, I can handle poor conditions. My point was specifically targeted for this saturday's conditions. If I told you your favorite trout stream's water temp was going to drop from 42 degrees to 36 degrees in one day, would you consider that desirable? I wouldnt. I dont think any experienced angler would. Does that mean the fishing is instantly going to suck etc? Most certainly not, but there is a chance those fish are going to turn off for the day. If I am going to go this weekend, it would be tomorrow. It is still up in the air, because my brother is sick, and I am mildly annoyed with fishing alone up there. Its a long day to spend 4.5 hours driving and 8-10 hours on the stream all by your lonesome.

Posted on: 2012/11/22 12:25

From Erie Co.
Have agree with Dan it has been dry this fall.
Fish were off this morning too with warm weather. No fish in the runs lined up with lock jaw in the holes. I did manage to get two on marabou streamers around noon. First of this fall. Weather man is calling for some lake effect later Friday. One better watch I-79 for ice.

Posted on: 2012/11/22 14:08

From Erie Co.
All so very light pressure.

Posted on: 2012/11/22 14:16

From NE OH
Quote:

Maurice wrote:

Make sure you look at the rainfall amount projections. I'm not sure this event is going to help much. Hopefully the total amount projected from Friday through Saturday happens, but even at that (about 0.3") it will likely only help for a day (if that).

Posted on: 2012/11/22 15:44

From Erie Co.
snow is here with more to fall this week
:(
Drive safe if your coming up this way.
There could be 12" by Monday in the snow belt with higher amounts in the higher elevations.

Posted on: 2012/11/23 20:51

From NE OH
Quote:

CRB wrote:
snow is here with more to fall this week
:(
Drive safe if your coming up this way.
There could be 12" by Monday in the snow belt with higher amounts in the higher elevations.

Awesome ain't it We get the creeks back to ourselves again! Ahhhhh....it's the most wonderful time of the year!

Posted on: 2012/11/23 22:18

From West Chester
Any changes in conditions? it still looks low to me, but there is a little bit of precipitation forecast between now and the weekend.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 11:06

From Howard Falls
Just left trout run w/nobody in the water this afternoon. Lake has very little chop to push fish in, but they're stacked up in a couple of heaving pods. Elk at Folly's, S.Flats, and into Mckean is low and clear. We got an inch of snow since sat eve, which though melting now has produced little appeciable ground seep into tribs and no color. Air temp will stay at 40F thru thurs with only a 50/50 chance of precip this week. Poor Richards had one truck in the p/l and the dude at Trout Run shop (formerly B&A...or B&C...i forget) says they haven't cleaned many fish this week.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 13:12

From West Chester
Thanks for the report McFinn. I have a trip to erie planned for sat-tue with my dad. We always seem to have terrible conditions and subsequent terrible trips fishing wise, whenever we go for steelies. I just hope with 4 days we can get into a few fish here or there.

Posted on: 2012/11/27 14:36

From NW Penna
20 Mile was as low as I have ever seen it today.
What few fish there were were crazy skittish as they had no place to hide for security...

Can't believe how much "Sandy" changed the holes in the creek....

Posted on: 2012/11/27 17:10

From NE OH
Quote:

bingsbaits wrote:
20 Mile was as low as I have ever seen it today.
What few fish there were were crazy skittish as they had no place to hide for security...

Can't believe how much "Sandy" changed the holes in the creek....

Be careful when you step backwards... What, there did not used to be a hole there. SPLASH! Been there!

Posted on: 2012/11/27 17:40

« 1 ... 28 29 30 (31) 32 33 34 ... 36 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
154 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
4 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com