Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Lefty Kreh is a Fraud!
From Dallastown, PA
Yesterday at the Lancaster Fly Fishing Show a group of us were shooting the breeze near the casting pool while Lefty embarrassed caster after caster. Admittedly once he was done with them they cast better but I noticed something very conspicuous about this legend of the fly. He casts right handed. I felt deceived as in Lefty's deceiver....maybe thats where he came up with the name.

So, not being a name dropper and follower of the iconic figures in fly fishing, could someone tell me where he got the name Lefty?

And another pontification that occurred at the after party....when Humphreys, Kreh, Clouser and the like are gone from the earth, who will entertain us at these shows? Who are the upcoming legends of the sport?

Posted on: 2013/3/3 12:26

Re: Lefty Kreh is a Fraud!

From Harrisburg
Dear Maurice,

To your last question, I reckon it's going to be people like you and me?

I only met Lefty one time and it was at Clouser's shop about 10 years ago. I knew who he was from pictures I'd seen in the Baltimore Sun a long time ago.

He walked in with his hands hanging down at his side with his fists balled up asking Bob Clouser if Bob could hear him? Bob said, "No!" I looked down and Lefty was carrying his hands with his middle fingers extending to floor.

He flipped his arms upright and yelled at Clouser, "Can you Effin' hear me now?"

That's the Lefty that I got to meet and spend two hours with at Clouser's. He wouldn't know me for schitt, but I had a blast BS'ing with him and Bob.

I saw Lefty signing books yesterday at the show.

I'm not worried about who will the ambassadors of fly fishing going forward, I'm more worried about whether anyone will be as entertaining and engaging?

In today's world you are instantly famous and infamous, back then everyone earned their consideration and recognition.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/3/3 12:58
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Eastern PA
I am still at the show. I'll see if I can track him down and ask him.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 13:09

From Harrisburg
Dear Jeff,

I saw you there attentively attending to your booth yesterday. I wanted to stop by and say Hey but you were actively involved in conversation and seemed to be busy.

If anyone ever told me I could be this big and be unnoticed I'd have said they were FOS but I managed it just like a Ninja yesterday.

I'm proud of my new skills.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/3/3 13:22
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Eastern PA
Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Jeff,

I saw you there attentively attending to your booth yesterday. I wanted to stop by and say Hey but you were actively involved in conversation and seemed to be busy.

If anyone ever told me I could be this big and be unnoticed I'd have said they were FOS but I managed it just like a Ninja yesterday.

I'm proud of my new skills.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

If someone said I was actively engaged in conversation I would say they were FOS. Lol. Likewise, your ninja skills man not be that great as I may or may not have been a little sleep deprived yesterday.

Lefty was left handed as a kid, however he tore his (insert medical thing in arm here) and had to switch to Righty Krey. - source Formerly Lefty but now Righty Krey.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 13:37

From Harrisburg
Dear Jeff,

I was 20 feet away from leaving the show and you were actively involved in a conversation.

I stood 10 feet from a good friend who was a fly tyer at the show and he didn't notice me either until I came back around.

This is made as a public service announcement, apparently, my ninja skills are now strong!

Look out World!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/3/3 15:26

From South Central PA
Legends tend to be a media creation, not that the guys Maurice mentioned aren't also outstanding anglers. Media outlets used to be few and that scarceness meant higher status.

And so with the internet I think there will never again be legend figures in this sport with the, ahem, "elite" brand recognition of the anglers Maurice mentions.

There are simply too many excellent anglers out there who happen to not publish or go on TV. And everybody knows that.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 16:02

From LV
Tim,
I was at the show yesterday and never saw you, maybe you were invisible.
As for Lefty, all that long distance casting with bad technique caused rotator cuff damage.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 16:02

From Harrisburg
Dear Chaz,

I knocked your cap off of your head in the crowd by the TCO Fly Shop booth and just laughed.

Like I said dude, my Ninja skills are now quite strong.

In all seriousness I walked around the show and harrumphed a lot of people. It's been years since I was at a Fly Show and while I thought I might have recognized someone I wasn't sure so I didn't bother anyone other than the people I was absolutely sure about.

It was kind of weird. I know I'm no kid but a lot of the people I saw looked one Hell of a lot older than I recall.

I guess we are all getting older?

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/3/3 16:22

From Gettysburg
Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:
This is made as a public service announcement, apparently, my ninja skills are now strong!
Tim Murphy

I never even got a glimpse of yuh! Dang!

Posted on: 2013/3/3 16:24

From philadelphia
i heard that lefty kreh casts almost as well as old lefty.i don't know if it is true.

in other news,my wife thinks bob clouser is cute,so,there's that.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 16:51

From Harrisburg
Quote:

Fishidiot wrote:
Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:
Tim Murphy

I never even got a glimpse of yuh! Dang!

Dear Dave,

Honest to God you were walking up the steps with someone and actively engaged in conversation.

I went Ninja and passed unnoticed. Mostly because I was pretty sure but not absolutely sure it was you.

Watch out on the creek dude, I just might trip you one time just to prove my skills!

On the downside it kind of sucks that I didn't bother you. You might have been able to meet some people that you didn't already now.

I'll do better next time, I promise.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/3/3 16:53

From Da 'Berg, PA
Lefty is a nickname for someone called Bernard isn't it ?

Comes from the WW I era I think.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 17:12

Quote:

He casts right handed. I felt deceived as in Lefty's deceiver....maybe thats where he came up with the name.

So, not being a name dropper and follower of the iconic figures in fly fishing, could someone tell me where he got the name Lefty?

He is in fact left handed, and used to cast that way. He tore his left shoulder apart while helping his wife turn over a mattress many years ago, and had to learn to cast right handed. (Actually, he already could, since he used to demonstrate casting with a rod in each hand, just to show that it's all in the timing.) He's been casting right handed ever since, and it's probably easier to instruct people if you're casting with the same hand as they are.

Posted on: 2013/3/3 17:30

From Dallastown, PA
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Tim,
I was at the show yesterday and never saw you, maybe you were invisible.
As for Lefty, all that long distance casting with bad technique caused rotator cuff damage.

Ba-Zinga!

Posted on: 2013/3/3 18:16

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com