Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Latest Polls
Webmaster
I found the response on the last poll very interesting in the way people use the Stream Reports(SR). I was surprised at the low number of people using SR as an exclusive way to find out where to go fishing.

BTW, I know it is a little early, but I posted a new poll about what everybody is planning for the holidays. I need a new vest and more time out fly fishing!

Posted on: 2009/11/2 10:29

Re: Latest Polls
From Monessen, PA
No one wants to admit it maybe?

Posted on: 2009/11/2 10:30

From Bozeman
I don't use reports for findings places to go. I have learned plenty about where to go from people that I've met on this board, so I don't need to.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 10:34

From Gunpowder River, MD
I use SR section when it's relative to a particular destination I'll be fishing..Any thing and every thing that will give me an advantage out there..Like bread, Stream reports have a shelf life...

Posted on: 2009/11/2 10:41

From Dallastown, PA
I think the results could be interpreted a couple different way.

1. The top three answers (70%) could be interpreted to mean the reports are used for an upcoming trip.

2. The top answer indicating an exclusive use for future trips to me is a very narrow pigeon hole.

3. If users knew the reports were searchable they may use them more.

To me the reports are a form of entertainment and means for daydreaming if I had the time to fish. I can say that I typically look at only reports of streams I've fished in the hopes to find a connection or learn something new about something I already know about. Or I read ones by people I know again due to familiarity of the poster or the stream.

If it is the goal is to use the stream reports to "draw" people to streams some whould say it happens but I doubt it. A stream report only acts as another piece of information gathered about a stream someone was likely going to fish.

I believe the crowding some claim is occurring on streams is a symptom of the growing flyfishing community branching out. More rods on the water is likely more due to the availability of the streams (location) than it is because some boob posted that he caught X amount of fish on Y stream. It might give me a hankering to fish it, and a "sometime I gotta get over there" feeling but isn't likely to push me into the car to go tomorrow

Another good poll question would be to ask how much time one needs to plan a one day fishing excursion. Meaning can you get up and go tomorrow on a whim or do you need to wait til the weekend, Need a couple days notice, Have to complete the honey do list, or save up for a diamond ring first before going to the crik.

That will give you an idea of how much influence these reports have on crowding.....Not that anyone asked.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 11:15

Webmaster
Jack,

4% is a pretty low number even if there is some fudge factor involved. I think the poll is pretty accurate how most people use SR from this site.

A majority of people use them to gather some information about general conditions about fly fishing. Others use them if they were already planning on going to a stream and just wanted some more details on what to expect.

The USGS gage stations are part of the equation for me too. Kinda of like I am going to dinner. I use the USGS gages like a traffic light and stream reports as what is on the menu.

How is that for a stupid analogy?

Posted on: 2009/11/2 11:28

From Bozeman
If you like to throw big ugly streamers, the USGS is often the menu too. I'm not sure how many of us streamer chuckers are out there, so I always take the reports with a grain of salt in that aspect.

The next time I get a free weekend when spring creek is blown, I will probably be more likely to go than I would if the conditions were "perfect".

Posted on: 2009/11/2 11:30

From Chester County
I don’t recall ever reading a stream report and rushing right out to fish the stream. I do check reports and info about the streams I regularly fish, oddly, I am more likely to use this info for streams or areas I have never fished. When I plan a trip to a new area or stream, I usually search threads about a stream in the “Stream Location” and the “Stream Reports” sections to get some general info on where, when and how.

One thing great about this site, you can search for info on streams from past postings, you can post and ask for info and get some really good stuff, but also there is also a tremendous amount of info shared through PMs from many of the more knowledgeable members. Many will even offer to fish with you! I’ve developed a lot of great friends through this site.

PAFF is a great place to visit and adds to my enjoyment and success FF in PA and beyond.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 11:45

From Bozeman
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
I’ve developed a lot of great friends through this site.

PAFF is a great place to visit and adds to my enjoyment and success FF in PA and beyond.

That's pretty much it.

For a long time, this was just a FF message board for me. After attending jams and fishing with dozens of board members (I lost count at 20), it's basically become my fly fishing facebook. I keep tabs on my buddies and their fishing, and can share my own experiences.

I think it's impossible to appreciate the true value of a site like this unless you actually get to meet people from the site. It's really changed how I fish.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 11:49

From Pittsburgh
From past experience, I pretty much know where I want to fish at that certain time of year .
The usgs and weather reports affect where I finally go much more than anything else.
But I did check out a stream that I had never fished before just a few months ago- after someone put up a post about it on this site. It was in the general forum though.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 13:19

Dave,
I don't use the stream reports to help me find places to fish, I only use them to see if there are any reports on someplace I'm thinking of fishing. Many don't have a lot of information that is useful, they've been better than on the old site, but if I'm writing a stream report there's going to be a lot of info there for others. Maybe not a specific reach but at least the stream date time hours on water what I caught what flies weather that kind of stuff.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 17:17

From York County
Here is my spin on the forums and how I use them.

Many of the streams that are posted about on here, I will probably never fish. I will admit that yes, I have learned of a few places on this site that I had not previously not known much about. Particularly in areas in which I do not often fish.

For the most part, I have certain Geographic areas of the state that I very familiar with and have fished many of the streams in those areas.

Most of my posts are of streams that I am familiar with, and streams which are often discussed. I do not post about all of the streams that I visit. There are places that I enjoy going to and they might not be the greatest places to fish, but enjoy the fact that I don't have to give up a personal spot to everybody. I believe most people feel the same way.

I have had quite a few people ask me about places in a private message and that is cool, as I've asked people for info as well. I've also had people ask me about places they hadn't been to in ages as to conditions and presence of trout.

Particularly, I know a lot of streams in York, Adams Lancaster, Lebanon, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Perry, Huntingdon, Counties in Southern Pennsylvania.

In Northeastern Pennsylvania, I am familiar with mostly Susquehanna, Wayne, and Lackawanna Counties.

Other than that I will occassionally fish different areas during vacation or a day trip.

Posted on: 2009/11/2 17:57

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
121 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
3 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com