Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Late summer limestoner

From Lancaster County
A common thread on three different streams/drainages I've fished in the past three weeks is low, clear, and cold. We haven't had much rain lately, but the weather has cooperated in such a way to keep overall stream temps down.

I had a short amount of time last night to checkout a small limestoner. I grabbed some fuel for the car and my body at Sheetz and parked at the bottom of the fishable water. I started out with a wooly bugger, but abandoned that plan after seeing a riser in the first pool. There was no insect swarm but there was a consistent stream of rises to a light colored fly, so I tied on a Light Cahill. I had a nice take a few casts later that resulted in a long-distance release. Moved upstream a bit, kicked one nicer fish out of a log jam and stopped when I saw another short pool with risers. One was in the middle of the pool, and he promptly responded to the fly presented to him and was released after a photo snap. The other was hanging against the far bank/stump and after I managed to place a fly close enough to him, he also came to hand.

A long pool of deeper water held some additional risers but I couldn't entice any of them to take my offering, so I moved on, trying to cover a bit more ground before darkness settled in. I switched back to the bugger, rolled a smaller fish, and finally hooked the biggest fish of the night, an 11" rainbow, with a bright pink stripe and the reddest fins I have ever seen.

Walking back to the car, I passed a few cows out in the field, who showed up with demon eyes in the photo. Between that and the large tractor tire in the woody debris of the stream, it wasn't hard to tell I was fishing in agricultural country.

As an aside, the discussion on fishing with bovines generally concluded that cows were safe and bulls were generally unpredictable and not safe. I'd submit that a herd of cows can be just as unsafe. Heifers and young cows are intensely curious and as I walked by the pasture on the way back to the car, about twenty cows started to jog alongside the fence. Had there not been a fence between me and them, it only would have taken one or two cows jostling for position to knock one towards me and then a good trampling would easily have been possible. So, I'd generally agree that cows are safe, but they still are large animals, who may react differently in a jostling crowd. I'd rather not find out what damage their clumsy curiosity might result in.

All in all, a good night. Not great numbers, compared to some other streams, but I'm always a bit intimidated by limestoners, so picking up anything on them I always consider as a bonus.

Also saw lots of birds and squirrels, a groundhog that scurried along the root system of the bank for twenty yards, trying to beat me to his home, and heard lots of THUNKs as nuts and other tree fruit rocketed from the sky and dropped into the stream. I didn't see anyone else fishing, but knew others had gone before me, judging from the boot tracks in the stream and on the bank, as well as the heron tracks in the mud of the stream.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 16:33

Re: Late summer limestoner

From Mount Joy, PA
That's the stream of my most frequent bovine interaction and it can definitely be a little unsettling at times. She is low, clear, and not giving many fish up right now. A good shot of rain and a white bugger would do wonders on that stream right now. The bigger fish are there, but holding tight. The rainbows are remnants of the fingerling stocking from earlier and are holding their own and coloring up nicely.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 16:47

From Lansdale
I wish I lived closer to Lancaster.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 16:55

From Lancaster County
Quote:

KeithS wrote:
I wish I lived closer to Lancaster.

We have a few streams, but its hardly a trout meca.

Geo: a bit of higher water and a nice streamer pattern are what I usually fish that water with. One of the benefits of fishing late-summer, low water conditions, though, is that I finally get to see what the stream structure is. When its up and off-color in the spring, I sometimes had no idea if I was fishing in six inches or six feet of water.

And thats a general plug for getting out at times with the intent not necessarily to fish, but to explore and learn the stream.

Posted on: 2013/9/20 17:10

From Lansdale
I know it's no Mecca, but I can't just stop by a brookie stream on my way home from work

Posted on: 2013/9/20 20:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
What kind of streams do you primarily fish?
Approved Trout Waters (Stocked Fish)
Class A Wild Trout Streams
Special Regulation Areas
Wilderness Trout Streams
No Preference All Trout Streams
63 total votes!
The poll will close at 2014/4/30 15:00
2 Comments
USGS Water Levels

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com