Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Late Hatches?

From Long Island
In about a week and a half, I am supposed to fish the Upper Delaware with a few friends. Usually, in about a week and a half, this time of year you would have hendricksons. From the reports I've seen so far they've only experienced some early black stones, which will be ending soon. The West Branch is currently flowing at around 39-44 degrees and today the East Branch is up around 50. Any thoughts? Not sure if the trip would be worth it, hopefully some Blue Quills will be around. If not, guess its right to the meat. WOuld it be worth it? Anythings appreciated.- Kev

Posted on: 4/14 23:36

Re: Late Hatches?
From Chester County
Quote:

fisherboy3 wrote:
In about a week and a half, I am supposed to fish the Upper Delaware with a few friends. Usually, in about a week and a half, this time of year you would have hendricksons. From the reports I've seen so far they've only experienced some early black stones, which will be ending soon. The West Branch is currently flowing at around 39-44 degrees and today the East Branch is up around 50. Any thoughts? Not sure if the trip would be worth it, hopefully some Blue Quills will be around. If not, guess its right to the meat. WOuld it be worth it? Anythings appreciated.- Kev

FB,

I've always looked at the 3rd week of April for the Hendricksons to pop on the the D River. Two years ago, it was pretty much over that week with the warm temps. Last year they were on time. This year most believe they will be late, given the persistent cold weather.

The River (WB) is running high with a 1500 release. Hale Eddy is just under 2000 with temps in the mid 40's. A lot of rain and very cold temps are predicted this week. My guess, the hatches will be late.

While the flows change with the releases, the WB is not wadeable at all and a float would be a real "rush."

You can always try stripping streamers if you're into that, but if you are into hatches, I would recommend you delay your trip.

Keep checking the D River Reports. Here are two good ones:

http://thedelawareriverclub.com/blog/

http://www.westbranchresort.com/delaw ... nditions.html?id=vqB7Fydb

Good luck.

Posted on: 4/15 7:32

I too scheduled my trip (West Branch) that my wife booked a little later. I am planning on going June 17th (that is penciled in). Do you think I should re-schedule it earlier based on hatches or would I still be fine at that point? I figured with the colder winter we had, things may be delayed...

Posted on: 4/15 8:10

From Chester County
Quote:

Big-Bass wrote:
I too scheduled my trip (West Branch) that my wife booked a little later. I am planning on going June 17th (that is penciled in). Do you think I should re-schedule it earlier based on hatches or would I still be fine at that point? I figured with the colder winter we had, things may be delayed...

BB,

It is impossible to predict anything two months in advance, especially on the D. Mid June is a great time to fish up there. I'm sure you will have a great time and something will be hatching. Sulphurs should be the main attraction.

Here is the unabridged edition of what may be hatching:
http://www.jerryhadden.com/hatch.html

Posted on: 4/15 8:30

From LV
They will be late by at least 2 weeks and maybe by a month.

Posted on: 4/15 11:23

From Monessen, PA
I am always suspicious of predictions of delayed hatches. Why does no one ever predict early hatches?

Posted on: 4/15 11:35

From Cato, NY
Too hard to predict early/late hatches. This year it appears late but one week of 70/80 degree weather will speed things right up and another week of cold temps will slow things right down. This year seems more typical/average overall. We have had some strange weather the past few springs.

Posted on: 4/15 11:52

From Long Island
I talked to one of my friends who guides up on the D. He said most likely on the WB, there wont be many on the weekend I'm heading up. He said most likely the lower EB and Mainstem will have them popping, since the water is already up in the 50's on those two. Nymphing will be the game on the WB, which is my specialty. Also, he said blue quills should be popping any day now, depending on the air temp warming the water temp. Will post pics when I get back!-Kev

Posted on: 4/15 17:25

From Dauphin PA
Well, lots to consider / say. First, Chaz guessed 2 weeks to a month late. No way to support that and "late" compared to what? Last year, hatches over the last 5 years or hatches over the last 50 years? This time last year, quills, hendricksons, grannom and shad caddis were all but over. Since the 80's we've used May 1st as our Hendrickson start date (with help of old ttimer that had been fishing the Catskills since the late 50's). Some years you were early, some years you were late. If they hatch starts, it rarely stops due to crap weather or falling water temps. I've fished it in white out conditions before. A good hatch and 43 water temps will get few rises. Temp, wind and amount of sun will be just as important as # of bugs you see.

Kev, you mention the lower east and main will warm quicker / start earlier than west or other sections. That may or may not be a correct statement. Watch what happens to the water temps at Lordville after a few nights in the 30's....you find the west to be warmer. If you plan on wading, be very aware of private property rules on the east. The land owner DOES own the stream bottom and iif the bank is posted where you are wading, you are probably trespassing. The landowners have become increasingly annoyed with anglers and will press charges. You will want to keep an eye on river levels if you are wading. I get the impession there might be good flows up there for a while.
**reminder** the one bug tourney is April 25-27 so be prepared for boat traffic. I'm planning on heading up that weekend and have full faith I'll find paraleps and some hendricksons.

As Jason said, it will be likely that the river and hatches will be close to the long term norm. If the hendricksons hatch in s. central pa starting April 15-18....add 10-14 days for the hatch to reach that far north.

Bass, I'll PM ya

Posted on: 4/15 18:33

From Long Island
Krayfish,
Thats the weekend I will be up there. Look for a younger guy in a bright orange fleece, that will be me. We will be floating, but not sure where yet. We were supposed to float the WB, but if the bugs are better on the East and Mainstem, then we will find our way that a ways. I'm staying at East Branch outfitters, right on the EB of the D. With the flows as of now, and a day or two more of rain for next week, no one will be wading. Just too dangerous. But if Cannonsville spills, you bet we'll be chucking some meat. You are right, the one bug is that weekend. The guys I'll be with, the one was a guide at the Delaware River Club, for about 5 years, so he knows the Delaware pretty well. Now he has his own guide service, and puts on a pretty good lecture about fishing in the poconos, it was presented at Somerset this year. You might have seen him/heard of him. He is Ben Turpin. We might get a shot at some quills though, not sure yet. If no bugs are present, we'll be nymphing. Let me know where you'll be staying/fishing, maybe we'll bump heads somewhere that weekend.- Kev

Posted on: 4/15 19:01

From Dauphin PA
You're staying with Rinker and fishing with Turpin....you will be set. Both are top shelf guys.

We'll be in scadden pontoons...one blue one red. I know where I want to fish but have to see flows and boat traffic.

Posted on: 4/15 19:07

From Long Island
Kray,
You know exactly who I'll be fishing with. I met Ben when i was about 14, had him guide me for a few years and we became great friends. He met Rinker when he worked at the DRC. Ill keep an eye out for you. Dont be surprised if someone yells Krayfish! off in the distance. I'm not worried about the fishing. Theres only one day of rain forcasted for next week. See ya out there.- Kev

Posted on: 4/16 4:13

From Pittsburgh
I've been hitting the hendricksons on the delaware really good the last full week of april - usually like the 21st through the 28th. Although there was one big exception - with that very early spring we had two years ago, they hatched I think the first or second week of the month that year.
I had originally put vacation in this year for the week of the 20th through the 27th. But I recently moved it to a week later. And I'm thinking that should be a good time frame to see them.
However, the flow rates have me concerned right now. The main stem was running at 5,000 CFS a few days ago - and it's likely higher now, after all the rain we had monday.

I'm thinking if the flows are too high for good fishing when I'm up there in a few weeks, I might try the beaverkill and or willowmoc

Posted on: 4/16 11:00

From NC PA Mountains
I heard they cancelled all hatches for Potter this year.

Posted on: 4/16 12:16

From Dauphin PA
The wb was over 4k and the eb was over 7k. Bring stilts if you're wading.

Posted on: 4/16 13:03

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com