Last night I wrestled a tiger !

R

riser

It’s 5:30 Sun eve and I have a 5 hour drive ahead of me, but I couldn’t resist pulling off at a small stream in northern Clinton Co. for just one more hour of flyfishing. The first brookie unraveled my #12 Royal Wulff, so I tied on an old favorite: a #12 Cream Variant, as popularized by Art Flick in his “New Streamside Guide,” one of my go-to resources in the 1970s.

There’s an impressively deep pool in front of me and I flipped the fly onto the center of the pool, thinking as I did so that I should have introduced the fly at the head of the pool. My regret evaporated instantly as a fish demolished the fly. From the size, the deliberate take, the big slab sides, and the long dogged fight, I’m thinking it’s a nice brown.

As I bring the fish closer, I see it’s got sort-of vermiculations on its back, but it doesn’t look exactly right for a brook trout. That’s when it hit me: a tiger trout! It’s an honest 11.5 inches long and very chunky and healthy and it looks wild to me.

Of course I reach for the camera in my cargo shorts (I learned to wade wet in Utah, where all the guides disdain waders in the summertime) thinking now I finally have a photo worthy of the tough crowd on Paflyfish. Then the camera doesn’t turn on and I realize the battery is dead!

#%&@ !!!!!

Trust me. It’s a lovely fish. And it’s still there for you to visit.

It seems like everybody's (almost) camera craps out when they catch a "wild tiger trout". lol

Congrats on the fish, but man that hurts! More often than not whenever I brookie fish I always take a camera, my phone(as a backup camera), and a net just in case my time comes to catch a wild tiger. Some people may think I'm crazy taking a net brookie fishing, but I'd rather be prepared so that once in a lifetime fish doesn't escape!

Sure you caught a tiger trout and it was ten feet long! Only kidding. A dead camera battery is a real bummer, at least you caught a rare fish.

At least he remembered his camera. Same thing happened to me but I left my camera in the car. I was about to scream but then I remembered my cell phone. So the picture doesn't do the fish justice but at least it saved the day! You have a mental picture and got the experience, good for you! Congrats!

Pics or it didnt happen!

JK, while I havent caught a wild tiger, I did catch a huge smallie 2-3 weeks ago on the yough, and I also failed to photograph the fish. It was 20", or real close to 20". Ive been chasing that mark for a few years. I may have got him, but now I will never know. Sucks, but you still caught it, and thats all that matters.

I left the cell phone in the car. If you know that area, you can't get a signal on any stream in the area, so why tote the phone? I wasn't thinking of backing up the camera.

By the way, I've located just 2 spots in southern Potter where I can get a signal (Verizon): at the top of the hill just south of Germania on Rt. 144, and at Little Lyman Vista on, I believe, McConnell Rd off Windfall Rd. This might help someone else out if they need to call home.

I won't have any trouble remembering that trout. In fact, I plan to catch him again with plenty of juice in the Nikon. Might have to wait until fall, though.

I started carrying a net on small streams a few years ago -- about the time I started carrying a digital camera. I had this guy in the net and inspected him closely. Like I said, healthy. And the water was cold.

Sorry but I have to ask, What is a tiger trout?

A cross between a brook trout and a brown trout

Thanks, that's what I thought, but wasn't sure. I seen pictures posted here and the rarity of catching one.

streamerguy wrote:
A cross between a brook trout and a brown trout

More specifically, offspring from a brown trout egg and brook trout milt. The offspring are sterile.

I lucked into one during the Newbie Brush Up Day. I think it's my first one in 30+ years of ff-ing or maybe I've caught them before and just didn't pay attention. Obviously stocked but decent sized.

Attachments

• tiger.JPG
    tiger.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 1
That is just a really crappy brookie from next door.

stocked brookie.

So the physical appearance of stocked brook trout has changed that much since I last caught one? I'll stand by my claim that its a tiger or that it's an escaped coho from Shane's secret stocking of the Lehigh.

There are some really crappy brooks from hatcheries. Also, they have stopped stocking tigers and Queen City does not raise them. That would leave it to be a wild tiger, and obviously it is not. Shush about the secret stockings of coho's. You are gonna burn it.

There are some really crappy brooks from hatcheries. Also, they have stopped stocking tigers and Queen City does not raise them. That would leave it to be a wild tiger, and obviously it is not. Shush about the secret stockings of coho's. You are gonna burn it.

yes that is an bucket brook trout...

I would say 50% of claimed "Tiger trout" are really just stocker browns or brook trout misidentified

Whatever type of trout that actually is, it is NOT a wild tiger trout. You won't see a wild tiger trout that size in Pa anyway.

When did I ever hint that might be wild? I didn't.

Is it obvious that I haven't caught many stockers over the last 20 years. They are strange looking critters.

Back