last minute summer binge

F

flycoming

So I suffered an injury last night bad enough that i cant work all week, but not bad enough to keep me off the streams. Its bitter sweet but this finally gives me free time that I have been wanting to find for quite a while. Im looking foward to taking several day trips with the fly rod this week. I want to hit yellow breeches, the lehigh and the lackawanna. However I'm not familiar with these streams temps in the summer time since i usually quit pursuing trout in June. My question is, Do these streams get to warm to succesfully pursue trout? I know they hold wild trout but I am just wondering if they would be worth the drive.

I don't know, but if I lived in Lock Haven I wouldn't be looking for streams to fish. Heck, Lick Run alone is about 17 miles of stream. I'd kill to live in Clinton county! :)

flycoming wrote:
I want to hit yellow breeches, Do these streams get to warm to succesfully pursue trout?

Breeches does get warm most summers. However, I got a temp on Wednesday afternoon of 67 degrees near Boiling Springs (above the confluence with The Run). I'd say Breeches should be fine for the foreseeable few days, especially if you fish in the am.

Flycoming,
If you're looking to travel, what F/idiot told you is about right for there. But, you're only minutes from Big Fishing Creek in the Narrows, and you're only about a half-hour from Spring Creek. When I went to college in Lock Haven many moons ago and was just beginning to fly-fish, Big Fishing Creek was pretty kind to me on numerous occasions. (I liked Young Woman's Creek near Renovo in those days, too; but now that it is stocked, it doesn't hold the same allure as BFC, and it is likely low anyhow.) Anyhow, if you aren't going far from home, you have some winners nearby.

I should have clarified, I go to school in lock haven. So I spend my summers in Pottstown where I live.

flycoming wrote:
I should have clarified, I go to school in lock haven. So I spend my summers in Pottstown where I live.
It makes sense now. While you're down in that region, why don't you give Valley Creek a try? Just make sure the stream temps are cool enough.
Have you done much fishing in the Lock Haven area? There's a TON of good trout streams up there.

wildtrout, while at school I fished spring, fishing, pine and bald eagle often, probally to much lol. Also i have been fishing valley, hay and other small wild trout streams locally about every week, just looking to hit some bigger water.

Back