Kokanee in PA

K

klingon

If I remember correctly, the pa fish comm maintained a fishable population of kokanee at upper woods pond, in the poconos, in the late 1960's.

I was wondering if there is any kokanee fishing in pa today?

Probably not, a bunch of bucket biologists started putting all kinds of fish in the pond and PFBC eventually tried to kill the pond and return it to a trout pong, which it was before anyone had the bright idea to put in rubber fish. It failed, there are still WW fish in it along with rubber trout maybe a few wild brookies, and I've heard that some salmon survived, but I've never caught any. Kokone don't grow very big in PA so I wouldn't bother going there to target them, but it would be neat to catch one.

I thought they were stocked in Harvey's Lake not too long ago.

Fished upper woods pond abt 15 years ago for kokanee. Pafc may have been still stocking them at the time. We caught more than a dozen trolling small spoons. None more than 9 inches. Haven't been back since.

We had those in Idaho and they weren't; much bigger there either. a 12-14 inch was considered big. And unless it was spawning time they just looked a lot like your normal wild rainbow. But trolling wet flies from a canoe with an electric motor was deadly.

Back