Kettle Creek

C

carver

Will be heading to Kettle Creek next weekend (May 4). Was wondering if some of you might be able to tell me from experience what types of flies I should tie up for the trip?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey

although i have not fished Kettle quite that early in the season,
Except for the big Drakes, I.E. Green, Brown, Yellow, and more than likely the March Brown. Be ready with just about anything else.
Caddis 14-16, Bwo 20-18-16
Streamers,Muddlers, Wooly buggers
Big stone fly nymphs.
Attractors, Adams, Parachute Adams especially 16-14
Royal Wulff 14-12
i like the royal wulff especially if the flow is a little high
since it floats well in rough water

good luck
steve 98

I fish Kettle every year in early to mid-May, we're going up on the weekend of the 18th.
Last year we hit the March brown hatch which was awesome. Starting in the afternoon and just building until dark, big march brown spinners filled the sky above the water. I caught a ton of fish on march brown comparaduns (?) and parachutes, size 10-12.
Another fly that works up there comes from Phil Baldacino's (?) shop and it's called the "white gloved howdy." Funny name but basically a parachute dry with a mahogany body and either black or dun hackle and tail. I try them in 12 and 14 and they're a great pattern when the fish aren't rising to a hatch but you wanna fish dries anyway.
Other then those two, you may come across stoneflies, caddis and sulfurs.
Of course the standard and parachute Adams are good also.
Stop by Phil's shop and he'll give you the low-down on what's working. He actually goes out and collects sample insects and has them on display so that you can truly match the hatch

John

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the info. I've been tying every night in preparation, and I still feel like I won't have everything done by next weekend. Anyway, the info provided was great. I appreciate your help.

jpavoncello wrote:

Another fly that works up there comes from Phil Baldacino's (?) shop and it's called the "white gloved howdy." Funny name but basically a parachute dry with a mahogany body and either black or dun hackle and tail. I try them in 12 and 14 and they're a great pattern when the fish aren't rising to a hatch but you wanna fish dries anyway.

John

John,

The White Gloved Howdy is a nickname for the male slate drake (Isonychia bi-color)or mahogany dun. It is named for the white tipped fore legs of the mayfly.

Maurice

yep, knew it was an isonychia, my buddy and I just think the name is funny, though we usually just call it the Howdy-doody fly. Whatever the name and species, the little bugger works well. I use it as a searching pattern when dry fishing is tough, and though I don't get a lot of fish at those times, the ones that do hit tend to just slam the fly.
John

Back